Dunlap, TN Critique

1 hour ago, billyblazes said:

Contract pending on a house in Dunlap.  Any reason to stay away from that area?  We like what we see, but we've only visited various areas of East Tennessee for a week at a time or less on several occasions over the last 18 months.

I don't live there but I have been there several times while camping at Fall Creek Falls. The people seem nice and the area is pretty. 

8 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’s a small town with not much at all there, and I’m pretty sure that’s the point. 

Small town is what we're looking for.  After spending some time in various parts of East Tennessee we grew fond of the Spencer area. We also like Sparta and the other surrounding towns. A current real estate listing in Dunlap has our interest.  The feedback on Dunlap seems mostly positive. I did find some negative comments about crime and a high rate of sexual offenders living in the area, but I am inclined to dismiss those comments as anomalies or not truly any worse than other parts of TN that have issues with high occurrences of property crime.  Unfortunately, that has been a mentioned issue just about everywhere we have looked.

Although I read that Dunlap has a significant religious population, we are not church goers. I also read of issues with the education system and employment. Those are also two areas that do not concern us although we hope those deficiencies do no translate into a lack of skilled service and professional people, blue and white collar, that can be called upon as needed.

I read that Dunlap tends to get a little more snow than areas of the Cumberland Plateau area that we were looking at. What concerns us perhaps a little more is that Dunlap tends to run about 5° to 7° warmer in the summertime than the surrounding areas. I'm guessing that's due to Dunlap being at a lower elevation and in a valley.  I'm thinking however that it will still feel not nearly as oppressive as east coast central Florida during the summertime.

We are looking for a reputable building contractor with references to build a second home on the acreage.  Recommendations are appreciated.

I don't know much about the area. But I will advise that before you buy you go by and introduce yourself to the neighbors, Ask them about the immediate area. . Most should be nice and friendly. However, crack heads and meth labs do like small towns. More than once I've seen a dream move ruined by bad neighbors. Best to find out before you buy. 

Wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to local LEOS too. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

That’s great advice. We did speak with some locals at the local diner. They were all very welcoming with only good things to say about the particular property the contract is now pending on.  They did advise of certain contractors to stay away from to avoid headache and sticker shock. Speaking to the local LEO’s though is certainly something we should put on the agenda  

13 hours ago, billyblazes said:

Small town is what we're looking for.  After spending some time in various parts of East Tennessee we grew fond of the Spencer area. We also like Sparta and the other surrounding towns. A current real estate listing in Dunlap has our interest.  The feedback on Dunlap seems mostly positive. I did find some negative comments about crime and a high rate of sexual offenders living in the area, but I am inclined to dismiss those comments as anomalies or not truly any worse than other parts of TN that have issues with high occurrences of property crime.  Unfortunately, that has been a mentioned issue just about everywhere we have looked.

Although I read that Dunlap has a significant religious population, we are not church goers. I also read of issues with the education system and employment. Those are also two areas that do not concern us although we hope those deficiencies do no translate into a lack of skilled service and professional people, blue and white collar, that can be called upon as needed.

I read that Dunlap tends to get a little more snow than areas of the Cumberland Plateau area that we were looking at. What concerns us perhaps a little more is that Dunlap tends to run about 5° to 7° warmer in the summertime than the surrounding areas. I'm guessing that's due to Dunlap being at a lower elevation and in a valley.  I'm thinking however that it will still feel not nearly as oppressive as east coast central Florida during the summertime.

We are looking for a reputable building contractor with references to build a second home on the acreage.  Recommendations are appreciated.

Sounds like most any southern small town.  It is a bit hotter because it's in the valley. The ridges on both sides are fairly tall, so they do a reasonable job of deflecting big storms. But... it'll be ugly should a big one come straight up the valley. The area is also popular with the hang gliding crowd.  

Are you retired? I could see it being a nice quiet place to settle during retirement but if you plan on working you will have a really hard time finding employment. Chattanooga would be a 80 mile commute round trip. Dunlap is going to be very pretty with mostly friendly people but also very poor and the nicest restaurant appears to be a few Mexican joints. Your only choice for groceries will be a Save-A-Lot and a Wal-Mart.  Are you both healthy? If not, you'll likely have a pretty far drive to receive good medical care of any kind.  These are some things I would consider. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2