Lost Dog Help

TomInMN

One of my sister's two dogs escaped the boarding kennel where they were going to spend an overnight. I'm looking for suggestions on how to find a dog that has run off.

So far, she's put out food and water, the dog's bed, a shirt that smells like her near the last place the dog was seen. I also put out a couple of sausage chunks there and suggested she spray a bacon scent bear bomb. (Maybe if he gets hungry hell file his nose...) She's bringing the other dog along to walk and look for the runner.

I went and looked around the brush edges for broken twigs and pieces of fur, and other sign. The kennel owner is making signs, my sister has posted to Facebook and contacted animal control, local PD, etc.

What are we not thinking of that might work? Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

Edited by TomInMN
Remembered something else.

That is exactly why I had a chip put in Darby and most folks can find her with their cell phones and will get an alert on their phones if she gets in their neighborhood. We tested in when I moved out here and it still works on everyones smart phones out here as well. If you do get the dog back home my suggestion would be get both dogs chipped.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

That is exactly why I had a chip put in Darby and most folks can find her with their cell phones and will get an alert on their phones if she gets in their neighborhood. We tested in when I moved out here and it still works on everyones smart phones out here as well. If you do get the dog back home my suggestion would be get both dogs chipped.

What kind of chip is hat Doug? I got my boy chipped with Home Again chip and it doesn’t offer the gps type tracking like that, which I wish it had. It’s an RFID chip that only works to give a code that will access my contact information.

Any info on what Darby has?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

What kind of chip is hat Doug? I got my boy chipped with Home Again chip and it doesn’t offer the gps type tracking like that, which I wish it had. It’s an RFID chip that only works to give a code that will access my contact information.

Any info on what Darby has?

I did have her chipped but it is not in her but on her. It is made into her collar along with the reflective strip on her collar. I think it cost about $90.00 when I had them put it on her and the only down side is the batteries don't have a long life so when ever I am going out with her I don't turn it on. You turn it on and off with your cell phone. If she is going out on her own I turn it on. I think it is made by Tractive but will look and see if I can find the paper work to be sure. I have considered having one implanted in her because the batteries are not cheap and if you forget to turn it off it will kill the batteries in 4 to 5 days. They don't have a long battery life to begin with. Living in town I worried about someone stealing her so I paid the price to make sure I could find her if she went missing. Out here there are a lot of people with eyes on her and she is watched a lot more by family when she is out side. If she goes up front to visit one of them brings her back home after she plays with the Bassett Hound (Rhett) yea like Rhett Butler from "Gone with the Wind"  up front for a while but they call me and tell me she is up there. I told my daughter she has a sick sense of humor to name that hound after such a great actor..............LOL. You can see the reflective part on her collar here.

001.JPG

• Like 2

I am not sold on that collar idea, maybe for a hunting dog or something, but for a home pet I would think it would have some drawbacks.  If someone steal the dog, then the collar would be the first to go, if lost, then you would have to depend on someone downloading the app, probably replacing the battery, then finding the owner.  Some, like me, would go through that trouble, but some will not.  

Tile https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/products, kind of works like the collar, but it only shows the last location when the app lost contact with the chip.  @bersaguy does the collar work like the tile chip?  If it does, maybe that is a cheaper way to achieve the same thing.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

That’s awesome. $90 is a small price to pay for that kind of piece of mind, I’ll look into one, plus I like that reflective collar too. Handsome and useful. 

Thanks for for the insight!

I love that collar Darby has on. I have tested it with a strong flashlight and I can see the collar up to about 50 yards so it is well worth the money. I think you can buy the collars seperately from the Tracking device also. I am looking to buy a new one soon. I think I am going to get my next one from Chewy as they have one made by Frisco that looks like what I am looking for and it has great reviews. You may want to check it out also.

• Like 1