Anyone here a locksmith in Mid Tenn?

10-Ring

I've lost my only key to my 2011 Toyota Corolla.  I've given it a month to show back up without any luck.  It's time to go ahead and bite the bullet (see this thread is gun related!) and have one made.   It's a chip key so it will have to be programmed.  Any of you guys locksmiths by chance?  If so, I'd prefer to give you my money instead of some random person.  PM me if interested, at this point I'm in no hurry so you can do it at your leisure.  I'm, in Lebanon. 

55 minutes ago, I40Bandit said:

Stealership is probably your best bet. They may be able to cut & code a key based on the VIN. Otherwise I think a locksmith will have to key it to the lock(s), which could be quite a bit of work.

The way I understand it the computer in the car has to be programmed.  So I would have to have it towed to the dealership.  Of course if I can disengage the trans I could probably get it on a trailer and take it myself.  For what I would save by doing (probably not much) that I just assume have someone come out and do it.  

3 minutes ago, hughd said:

Doesn't that apply to valet key?   

No, original or valet, or replacing an Immobilizer Key with Remote.

Bottom line is you have to call the dealership with the VIN to see what is involved before proceeding with anything.

2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I've lost my only key to my 2011 Toyota Corolla.  I've given it a month to show back up without any luck.  

Just trying to be helpful with my comments so please take them that way.    When I've lost something I sit down in a quiet place and retrace my steps from the last known place I had the item and the chain of events that occurred afterwords.   Being that was a month ago, this is probably more difficult.   Normally you would say it has to be somewhere inside the house since the car is there, but is there any chance you had the key in your pocket and lost it somewhere else when you were in a different car?    Any chance it's in the pocket of some pants you hardly ever wear?       Anyway, good luck.

4 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Just trying to be helpful with my comments so please take them that way.    When I've lost something I sit down in a quiet place and retrace my steps from the last known place I had the item and the chain of events that occurred afterwords.   Being that was a month ago, this is probably more difficult.   Normally you would say it has to be somewhere inside the house since the car is there, but is there any chance you had the key in your pocket and lost it somewhere else when you were in a different car?    Any chance it's in the pocket of some pants you hardly ever wear?       Anyway, good luck.

I agree. My problem is that stuff usually is not “lost”; I have usually put it in a very special place where it will be “safe”. And then I can’t remember where that very special safe place is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Trekbike said:

Haha, thanks, I'm a pro at losing, and usually finding stuff.  On the day in question I got home from work and changed clothes and vehicles, then set out to cut a couple of yards, because I do that as a side business.  I went to the gas station, cut two yards and went home.  It was upon returning home that I realized the key was missing, as it has my house key on it as well.  I checked at the gas station, walked both yards thoroughly, and turned my truck inside out looking for it.  Pretty certain they slid out of my pocket while I was in the mower and fell into the grass somewhere.  

9 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Thanks, it is an immobilizer key.  I called Ron Hibbard Toyota today, they quoted me $364 out the door for a new key and programming.  And they have to have the car there to do it.  Half of that was for the key itself.  Keys are available on eBay for less than $10.  I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they will cut the eBay key.  I'll probably just trailer it there if they will.  

12 hours ago, FrankD said:

Not sure the Toyota setup, but I found for my old car the cheapest option was to buy a blank chip key off ebay and have a dealership cut/program it.

I did this with the Dodge Caravan I used to have. Ended up with 2 programmed and cut keys for less than 1 from the dealership. I even still paid them to cut and program it in the total cost. .