Armadillos

14 minutes ago, JimFromTN said:

My property is being overrun by armadillos.  Is it legal to shoot armadillos at night?  I can't find anything on it.  The only thing the regs say you can hunt at night are raccoons and possum.

Possum on the half shell. At least it's something to tell the game warden. :) 

1 hour ago, JimFromTN said:

My property is being overrun by armadillos.  Is it legal to shoot armadillos at night?  I can't find anything on it.  The only thing the regs say you can hunt at night are raccoons and possum.

They've made their way into my area too. I've seen several road kills around me. Since they are invasive I'd call the warden to ask but You will probably have Metro laws against shooting anything with enough power to kill one.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Hmm, since it says you can release on your property does that mean I can take them to my hunting area?  I have a bunch of pesky squirrels that I would like to get rid of, I have live traps and have caught a few in the past, but was after the opossums.   

You may purchase a live box trap at most garden supply or home improvement stores.  Once the animal is captured, you must release or euthanize the animal on your property.  If you would like to have the animal released, you must have a permitted ADC operator transport the animal to an approved release site. 

The armadillos have reached my area, but haven't seen sign of them in/around my yard.  The empty parcel I had next to me is under construction, so less woods to attract them, but there is still enough for them to check for suitability, I'll do my best to discourage them from taking up residency. 

I believe the distinction is shooting pests vs hunting a game animal. Armadillos aren't game animals so there is no hunting season for them. You're allowed to trap or otherwise eliminate non game animals causing damage to your property.... similar to wild hogs I'd presume.  Just call your local TWRA office and ask. 

6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It appears to me that TN clearly allows you to shoot them. But whether or not you can shoot them and whether or not you can discharge a firearm are two very different laws that don’t have anything to do with each other.

I know the town of Gallatin I just moved from it was against the law to discharge a firearm period so you would not be able to shoot them there.

You may not be able to discharge a firearm in the city limits by law, BUT may be allowed/able to out in the county.  My back property line is edge of city limits, but unfortunately, there are houses in view behind me as well.  Call the local LEO's and see what they say as well.  

I'd be GTG here in Clarksville, but I refrain from doing so because of no backstop.  If I was elevated I could probably be safe, but most times I see anything I want to dispatch they are level with me, or up in a tree.  

Enemies

Armadillos have few wild predators, but coyotes, dogs, black bears, bobcats, cougars, foxes and raccoons are reported to catch and kill armadillos in places where these predators occur. Hawks, owls and feral pigs may prey on armadillo young. One study noted a decline in armadillo numbers as feral pig populations increased. Humans and highways are significant sources of mortality in many areas. One study in Florida, however, found no juveniles in a road-killed sample.

42 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Enemies

Armadillos have few wild predators, but coyotes, dogs, black bears, bobcats, cougars, foxes and raccoons are reported to catch and kill armadillos in places where these predators occur. Hawks, owls and feral pigs may prey on armadillo young. One study noted a decline in armadillo numbers as feral pig populations increased. Humans and highways are significant sources of mortality in many areas. One study in Florida, however, found no juveniles in a road-killed sample.

Fence your property and get bears, and cougars; problem solved. How cool would that be? 

Of course when your bears started eating your neighbors that are gawking at them, or neighborhood kids start missing; you could have a problem.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago while doing some dirt work at my shooting range had the opportunity to dispatch  a young one. Had got out of the tractor cab to load some tree Iimbs in my loader bucket, caught a  movement out of the corner of my eye  and walked over to investigate and it was a half grown armadillo hiding in a shallow hole, no gun with me so found a short tree limb and proceeded to beat the sucker to death. They jump straight up in the air when you hit them. About four or five whacks with the big stick and he quit kicking.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Fence your property and get bears, and cougars; problem solved. How cool would that be? 

Of course when your bears started eating your neighbors that are gawking at them, or neighborhood kids start missing; you could have a problem.

I think having bears and cougars would be cool, but I mostly posted for the dogs.