What Caliber for Skunk and Where To Hit It?

8 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

My Papaw used to live trap them and toss a tarp over the cage. Then he set it totally underwater in the pond. Problem solved. 

A terap near water that could be drug in from afar by a rope would work too. 

I knew a guy that did this same thing, just pulled them into the water.  If you are quick maybe shoot them in the cage and then drag the cage under not sure how much time you have between hit and spray.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Skunks almost always spray or at least release when shot.  

That's why just about anyone who's had to deal with them more than once gets a trap.

I used to work with a guy who was having a problem and took a shot at one when it was close to his house.  It sprayed and was right next to his HVAC - the house smelled for a long time.

On the trap front - I've got it on good authority from a pro trapper friend of mine that Flamin' Hot Cheetos are as foolproof of a skunk bait as you can find.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

Why does he want them gone?  Skunks eat lots of other less desireable critters.  A skunk's only natural predator is the Great Horned Owl.  

I did actually explain that to her. But she has a wedding venue there, and she does not want the smell.

59 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

That's why just about anyone who's had to deal with them more than once gets a trap.

I used to work with a guy who was having a problem and took a shot at one when it was close to his house.  Is sprayed and was right next to his HVAC - the house smelled for a long time.

On the trap front - I've got it on good authority from a pro trapper friend of mine that Flamin' Hot Cheetos are as foolproof of a skunk bait as you can find.

Hmm, maybe that's what I will do.  I'll ask if she can buy them. She is a millionaire, so I am sure a couple of traps wont hurt her pocket :)

Edited by ShaggyRS6
39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I used to work with a guy who was having a problem and took a shot at one when it was close to his house.  Is sprayed and was right next to his HVAC - the house smelled for a long time.

This is the trap I got. $25. Well worth it. It folds for storage. I got my ground hog out of the way with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/32-in-x-15-in-x-10-in-medium-animal-trap-63008.html

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I would also try to lure them onto someone else’s property before killing them. Does that make me a bad neighbor?

It makes you an intelligent neighbor.

I think a family of skunks would liven up a wedding party nicely.

• Like 2

When I had an issue with a skunk in my yard I bought a pellet gun because the only rifles I had to shoot it with at the time was .308 and .223. I knew as soon as I used one of those I would be in jail. So I asked my neighbor next door, who was about 90, if he knew how far a skunk could spray. He quickly replied “About 12 feet”. I said you answered that pretty quick, has that happened to you? He said when he was a kid they would catch skunks live. He said if you knew what you were doing you could catch them, put them in a bag, and they wouldn’t spray. But he said more than once he had to hang his clothes in the tree and run in the house butt naked. :)

• Haha 1

.30-06 and anywhere.

Just make sure you're far enough away that the spray isn't a factor...

As an addition, if you grab a tool with a shaft (shovel, heavy dirt rake, hoe, etc) and holt it vertical with the handle down, you can tap the ground with it and the skunk will follow you. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't watched my grandpa do it.

Edited by TomInMN
Additional thought.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my dogs got sprayed towards the end of April.  That part of the yard stank for weeks, I got a whiff the other day actually.  I didn't get the worst of it though, two of my friends were parked in the area with their windows down.  

• Moderators

Up close and personal the smell is overwhelming. I do have to admit that I find the faint whiff I get now and then of skunk spray while driving a fairly pleasant smell. 

I might have been out on the road a wee bit too long.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 3