Taurus g2c 9mm guiderod question.

Yeah, its functioning fine. I took it apart to clean it after the range yesterday and the guiderod and spring was pointed upwards just a bit. I cleaned it and seated everything properly and the slide works as it should. Just noticed it would come through if push hard enough.

I have a PT111 which I believe is almost identical to the g2c. I had heard there were some issues with the plastic guide rod assembly. I replaced mine with a stainless steel on from Lakeline Industries. It runs like a champ. Below is their link if you're interested in one...

https://lakelinellc.com/shop/stainless-recoil-assembly-for-taurus-pt111-g2-stainless-finish/

Edited by lock n' load
Typo
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I just broke down my PT111 G2 (2016 purchase that shoots reliably). 

Guess what, it is the same way as your gun.  I push on the rod and the rod goes out past the frame. As well as the hollow tube am that the rode goes thru. The spring hits the frame and and stays in the gun. 

My opinion it is designed that way to allow for slide recoil (all the rod and the hollow tube has to come out of the frame).

LESSON LEARNED:

The BAD News is I discharged my gun UNINTENTIONALLY while checking this.  The GOOD News is I did not shoot anyone or myself. The projectile went thru a desk, the wall behind the desk, and hit the tread mill solid part of the frame where motor, etc., is located on the other side of that wall. (stopped it - thank goodness). 

As careful as I with guns I messed up. I had verified nothing in chamber and took Mag out. You have to pull the trigger to release the striker. Then broke it down (no problem). Then verified the recoil rod can be pushed out the front of the frame.

I put it back together. Then decided to check what the rod and hollow tube does when you rack it. I NOW assume that is when I loaded a round (obviously had the MAG back in). 

I decided to break it down again, took the Mag out. Then when I pulled the trigger to release the striker to take the slide off, GUESS What. 

FIRST RULE - Make sure Gun is unloaded. GOSH I feel terrible and fortunate (nothing serious happened except the tread mill is not operational). 

I tell this hoping someone else learns something - I sure did.  

11 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I just broke down my PT111 G2 (2016 purchase that shoots reliably). 

Guess what, it is the same way as your gun.  I push on the rod and the rod goes out past the frame. As well as the hollow tube am that the rode goes thru. The spring hits the frame and and stays in the gun. 

My opinion it is designed that way to allow for slide recoil (all the rod and the hollow tube has to come out of the frame).

LESSON LEARNED:

The BAD News is I discharged my gun UNINTENTIONALLY while checking this.  The GOOD News is I did not shoot anyone or myself. The projectile went thru a desk, the wall behind the desk, and hit the tread mill solid part of the frame where motor, etc., is located on the other side of that wall. (stopped it - thank goodness). 

As careful as I with guns I messed up. I had verified nothing in chamber and took Mag out. You have to pull the trigger to release the striker. Then broke it down (no problem). Then verified the recoil rod can be pushed out the front of the frame.

I put it back together. Then decided to check what the rod and hollow tube does when you rack it. I NOW assume that is when I loaded a round (obviously had the MAG back in). 

I decided to break it down again, took the Mag out. Then when I pulled the trigger to release the striker to take the slide off, GUESS What. 

FIRST RULE - Make sure Gun is unloaded. GOSH I feel terrible and fortunate (nothing serious happened except the tread mill is not operational). 

I tell this hoping someone else learns something - I sure did.  

Oops. Glad the damage was minor. 

Oops. Glad the damage was minor. Thanks peejman. 

All I can say is it was a very Nerve Wracking and Upsetting experience. I still feel so bad about my mistake, negligence, or what ever you want to call it.

It is bad enough as it ended, just thinking about what it could have been is constantly on my mind. Think it will be rest of my life (at 81 years old, not much left I guess despite being very healthy for my age).

Where Bullet Went and Where it could have Went (disturbing), if you have time to read. 

I was lucky the path it took. There is another computer desk to the left of mine. So the gun was pointing left and down angle at about my desk top height when I was pulling the trigger to release striker (then slide comes off). MAG was out but that gun fires with MAG out.

Anyway the bullet went left and down. Hit the lower 1 inch of the middle drawer in that desk. Then hit the top 1 inch of the lower drawer (it's a deeper drawer). The back of that desk is against the wall. So it went thru back of desk, then the wall to the back bedroom.

Treadmill sits next to the wall the bullet came thru. Hit about 4 inches above floor into the side of the treadmill near front of treadmill. Hit the portion of the treadmill in front where motor, etc., is located.

I have not seen under treadmill as need to nearly turn it up on end. I do know it did not work when I plugged it in.

Think some speckling paste to repair holes in wall sheet rock. And, need new treadmill I iamgine, have not investigated damage on it. .

Had gun been level and slightly more pointed east, would maybe gone thru a TV screen, the wall, and out back window of the back bedroom.

I am still on nerves about my mistake.