Jump to content
Handsome Rob

Fans of the mediocre......

Recommended Posts

Call me weird, but I really DO like oddball stuff. 

Is anyone else here a big fan or collector of the 'unreliable-yet-loveable'?

Reason I ask, is that tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up a dream gun. A pistol I've been fantasizing about for nearly 10 years. It's absolutely SLATED online by 8:10 owners, but I don't care. I saw my first one in September 2009 & I've been looking for one ever since. It's an early model, SAO,  AMT Backup .380

I know they're terrible carry pieces with all the reliability of a Jennings & a little more weight than a full size 1911, but something about it spoke to me the first time I ever set eyes on one at my friend's house in Florida. The full stainless construction, minimal sights, heel-release 5 round magazine, 1911 styling with the polished slide..........I know, I absolutely know, it probably won't get through a full mag without an issue or failure, but dammit, it's such a nice looking little thing.

 

Anyone else got a shameful secret love? There must be someone else out there with a Jiminez they'd never carry, but never ever sell........

 

(Stock photo, but I'm going to be sleepless tonight, waiting to get one!)

AMT_BackupRight.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob, I owned and actually carried one of these from about 1987 to 1991...wait one ..AS a Backup! LOL (or an NPE gun).

They are heavy little buggers, but I found mine amazingly easy to shoot, reliable (with FMJ), and surprisingly accurate for a gun that has a trough tunnel for a sight.

A friend of mine actually polished the feedramp (beware because it's a thin area to work on). The only hollowpoint round I could get it to reliably feed (early to mid 90's), was the original Hydrashok round, iirc. But I simply carried FMJ because I had no illusions of expansion, and reliability and accuracy trumped expansion anyway. Bullet technology was not very advanced at that time.

I sold it long ago and kind of wish I had hung on to it.

Enjoy it my friend, I'm glad you found a "Dream Gun". I think you'll be pleased. 👍

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of those years ago and liked it. It was 100% reliable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had something like that when I was a LEO - maybe even the same - in the early 90's. The Chief of Police required us to carry a gun while off duty, and I picked up one that I was able to toss into my shorts pocket when I really didn't want to carry. I sport a scar on the web of my right hand to this day from qualifying with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one that I won in a match years ago.  I put a few rounds through it and it was reliable with FMJ.  Never tried it with HPs.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, robtattoo said:

Anyone else got a shameful secret love? 

Yeah, believe it or not, I have a thing for mouse guns. Little .22 & 25 acp pistols that'll fit in your shirt pocket. :rolleyes: I don't know why I'm so fond of them. But under certain circumstances  where deep concealment is required, I have carried one as my primary. :eek:

fo4yQCB.jpg

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could probably search back in the forum a few years back to find the pictures that I posted of my little obsession, but I’ll post them again here. I still have all of these as well as some better quality mouse guns in my collection. 

 

 

50108A8D-FF95-45DD-8512-8D01D7D1FB82.jpeg

7F37D286-FDFE-467B-8E2C-F23CC6D9771D.jpeg

725724D0-098B-466B-BAA1-E9B2CDAB26D7.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

You could probably search back in the forum a few years back to find the pictures that I posted of my little obsession, but I’ll post them again here. I still have all of these as well as some better quality mouse guns in my collection. 

 

 

50108A8D-FF95-45DD-8512-8D01D7D1FB82.jpeg

7F37D286-FDFE-467B-8E2C-F23CC6D9771D.jpeg

725724D0-098B-466B-BAA1-E9B2CDAB26D7.jpeg

Do they all work?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Do they all work?

How does that saying go? "All of the guns some of the time, some of the guns all of the time"?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Garufa said:

Do they all work?

I haven’t shot all of them, but I’ve shot at least one of most models. The Ravens, Jennings and Titans are fun little shooters. As you can see, much of the collection is made up of slight variations of the same model, such as the collection of Ravens. I will say that most of the pistols in those pictures are more reliable than the reputation that they have, which has been largely established by people that have never owned them or shot them much. Having said that, these aren’t meant to be all day range guns, and some of them are certainly better than others.

I decided to only collect one of some of these gun brands, such as the Rohm revolver and the camouflage Lorcin. The models that I have of those two brands are some of the better models those companies built...most of their models deserve the crappy reputation that they have. Ravens, Jennings, Titans and several others in .25acp and .22LR calibers are actually pretty decent little guns for what they are, but they are just part of a novelty collection for me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Yeah, believe it or not, I have a thing for mouse guns. Little .22 & 25 acp pistols that'll fit in your shirt pocket. :rolleyes: I don't know why I'm so fond of them. But under certain circumstances  where deep concealment is required, I have carried one as my primary. :eek:

fo4yQCB.jpg

 

Those are some nice mouse guns! If you ever tire of any of them, except the Raven, give me a shout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

 I will say that most of the pistols in those pictures are more reliable than the reputation that they have, which has been largely established by people that have never owned them or shot them much. 

 

I have to agree with this statement. While not something I have ever carried for self protection, I did own a couple of these in the late 80's and early 90's.

I think I paid between $50.00 - $60.00 for a 25 acp Raven and shot the devil out of in, just plinking around the farm at that time. Incredibly reliable little gun.

Same said for a .22 Jennings I had. Literally shot it to death. It ran great with quality .22 ammo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a bit of a story behind the Raven. I saw a for sale ad several years ago. Guy said it had feed problems and make an offer. I got it for $20. Took it home, turned the firing pin around the way it should be and its worked like a champ ever since.  :D

A week or so later my best friend  dropped by and I showed it to him. His reaction was "I want this! Sell it to me!" So I let him have it for what I paid. After he passed, his wife and I were going through the gun safes when I ran across it again. I handed his wife $20 and stuck it in my pocket. I doubt I'll ever sell it again. ;)

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

You could probably search back in the forum a few years back to find the pictures that I posted of my little obsession, but I’ll post them again here. I still have all of these as well as some better quality mouse guns in my collection. 

725724D0-098B-466B-BAA1-E9B2CDAB26D7.jpeg

17 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Yeah, believe it or not, I have a thing for mouse guns. Little .22 & 25 acp pistols that'll fit in your shirt pocket. :rolleyes: I don't know why I'm so fond of them. But under certain circumstances  where deep concealment is required, I have carried one as my primary. :eek:

fo4yQCB.jpg

 

Those a great little collection.  They are hard impossible not to love.

My father who passed last year loved 25 acp. He picked up several while stationed in Europe in the 60's and 70's. I remember cleaning them as a child and him telling me they would be mine one day. Unfortunately my step mother and her son stole the items in his gun safe when he passed before we were able to get there.

Seeing these brings back some great memories.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Colt Pocketlite in 380 and a Pocket Nine which is a tad bit bigger. The 380 looks just like the AMT I owned years ago, but it works. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erich said:

Those a great little collection.  They are hard impossible not to love.

My father who passed last year loved 25 acp. He picked up several while stationed in Europe in the 60's and 70's. I remember cleaning them as a child and him telling me they would be mine one day. Unfortunately my step mother and her son stole the items in his gun safe when he passed before we were able to get there.

Seeing these brings back some great memories.   

I’m guessing your father didn’t have a will with specific bequeaths regarding items like those pistols. Those that your father had were probably all steel guns too, unlike many of the ones made later in the USA that were manufactured using zinc alloy. Zinc alloy holds up ok with .22LR to .32acp calibers, but does not hold up well with higher calibers unless you bulk up the components like Hi-Point does with their brick style pistols. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AMT 380 is the only gun I have ever owned that I could not depend on.  It never fired a magazine without a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife's cousin had one of those AMT Backup .380. It was a good little gun. I think it shot good and ran good. In my opinion a lot better than a Lorcin, Jennings, Davis, and probably several others. And this is coming from a Hi-Point owner. I've had no problems what so ever out of my Hi-Point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LCPfraTN said:

I’m guessing your father didn’t have a will with specific bequeaths regarding items like those pistols. Those that your father had were probably all steel guns too, unlike many of the ones made later in the USA that were manufactured using zinc alloy. Zinc alloy holds up ok with .22LR to .32acp calibers, but does not hold up well with higher calibers unless you bulk up the components like Hi-Point does with their brick style pistols. 

They were several Berettas, Walthers, and a couple Belgian made guns. Honestly I dont recall them all. They did leave a couple older rusted things behind. So I guess there is that :(

Sadly he did have a will, Leaving all his possessions to me including some bullion (stolen as well). But this is the kind of thing you find that folks are unscrupulous and greedy.  They stripped the house and garage of all valuables. They spent the couple days after his death destroying or removing the paper trail of receipts, bank records, photographs, and erasing memory cards left behind after removing the electronic devices. They knew we could not prove what was there at the time of his passing, or that they were the ones who removed them.

Clearly planned, which gives insight into the kind of people we are talking about. Obviously a lot more details behind this, but suffice it to say its a big ugly mess,

The big learning was that is it NOT a criminal offense to steal from an estate if you can claim you are related. Weak family linkage means you can steal what you want if a homeowner dies.  In these cases you are left to the character of the people involved, and the legal system does not protect you from "family" if hey are devoid of character.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Erich said:

Those a great little collection.  They are hard impossible not to love.

My father who passed last year loved 25 acp. He picked up several while stationed in Europe in the 60's and 70's. I remember cleaning them as a child and him telling me they would be mine one day. Unfortunately my step mother and her son stole the items in his gun safe when he passed before we were able to get there.

Seeing these brings back some great memories.   

Note to self: If I die after my wife then only give the safe combination to my children.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Quavodus said:

My wife's cousin had one of those AMT Backup .380. It was a good little gun. I think it shot good and ran good. In my opinion a lot better than a Lorcin, Jennings, Davis, and probably several others. And this is coming from a Hi-Point owner. I've had no problems what so ever out of my Hi-Point.

If you are talking about Lorcin, Jennings and Davis pistols in calibers larger than .32acp, I agree with you, although Lorcins of any caliber can be problematic. The camouflage one in my collection pictures is one of the better Lorcin models made because the frame was made from an aluminum alloy instead of being made from zinc alloy like most Lorcins. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Erich said:

They were several Berettas, Walthers, and a couple Belgian made guns. Honestly I dont recall them all. They did leave a couple older rusted things behind. So I guess there is that :(

Sadly he did have a will, Leaving all his possessions to me including some bullion (stolen as well). But this is the kind of thing you find that folks are unscrupulous and greedy.  They stripped the house and garage of all valuables. They spent the couple days after his death destroying or removing the paper trail of receipts, bank records, photographs, and erasing memory cards left behind after removing the electronic devices. They knew we could not prove what was there at the time of his passing, or that they were the ones who removed them.

Clearly planned, which gives insight into the kind of people we are talking about. Obviously a lot more details behind this, but suffice it to say its a big ugly mess,

The big learning was that is it NOT a criminal offense to steal from an estate if you can claim you are related. Weak family linkage means you can steal what you want if a homeowner dies.  In these cases you are left to the character of the people involved, and the legal system does not protect you from "family" if hey are devoid of character.

 

 

I feel your loss here. Sadly, I have been in the middle of such a situation several times with different parts of my family.

Seems that the vultures just come out at the first hint of grabbing something for themselves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Note to self: If I die after my wife then only give the safe combination to my children.

The big takeaway is: what do do if you pass first!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 10:20 PM, Erich said:

The big takeaway is: what do do if you pass first!

She gets it all to do with as she pleases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

She gets it all to do with as she pleases.

I figure mine will dig me back up once she see all my junk. Lol

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By DWARREN123
      Picked up a Stoeger STR-9.
      Got it from local Rural King for $338.42. Came in cardboard box with info, 3 back straps and 3 15 round mags.
      Made in Turkey. Very Glock like inside and shoots as good as a Glock 19 for me.
      I would compare to Glock gen3/4 G19 model.
      Standard 3 dot sights but are metal. Parts do not seem to be interchangeable with Glocks but it does fit Glock 19 holsters.
      Put 500 rounds thru it so far with 2 failures to completely eject fired casings, strong RSA and 3 times slide locked back with rounds still in mag, found out I was riding up on slide lock.
      Sight are POA/POI for me and groups at least as well as any Glock 9mm I have owned.
       
    • By xtriggerman
      Hello folks, I bought this Beretta model 81BB recently exclusively to convert to 32NAA. My goal is to match its grouping abilities to a 32NAA casing loaded with Lehigh 55g all copper defense bullets. For now, this is what the used M81 can do at 30 feet shooting off a wooded 4X4 block as a frame rest. Prior to the rechambering, the average speed of some pretty old PMC 71g FMJ loads were 962 fps out of the 10 round string. The PPU averaged 914 fps.
        To do a conversion on a Beretta Model 81, it simply requires renting the reamer from 4D rentals for a total cost of $47 bucks, adding a model 84 380 magazine and some ammo. No other mods are needed since Beretta uses the same bolt face in their 81/84 model slides. The thick gripped Beretta is a most comfortable gun to shoot. In 32ACP its a real kitten. Stepped up to the new chambering and you know immediately, this aint your grandfathers ACP! The 80g Defensive HP's stepped out at an average of 1067fps in the pictured 10 shot string. I'm looking forward to see what kind of velocities I can generate with the 55g Lehigh copper pills. They should have some serious splash out of the Beretta's 4 3/4" barrel. Then I couldn't help giving the Guardian a go at the 30 foot target with the PMC's. There is some evidence of slight key holeing out of the Guardians shallow rifling but hitting the paper regularly at that range with those sights is still acceptable in my view.  ;D
       

    • By MarkS
      Have any of you ever heard of this distributor?  If you go through prices, some are listed as normal, some are shown as on Sale, and are several hundred dollars cheaper than anything I can find online.
      Just trying to find out if this site is legit. Not looking for random opinions, more how to tell if it's a scam.
      onlinegunsshop.com

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines