Component worth?

Ballpark, whats are decent (standard) components worth these days compared to buying new?  For example, for .223/5.56.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Just for the exercise: you can buy 55gr bullets for 8-10 cents, powder is roughly 8-10 cents, a primer is 3 cents.  That's 23 cents per cartridge on the high side for a standard .223 load.  I don't know off hand what new brass goes for, but used brass can be found easily at 10 cents per.  So a reloaded .223 should run about 30-33 cents per round (less if you're careful where and when you buy your components).  This is for new, not pulled components, I haven't seen any pulldown bullets or powders offered in a while so I have no idea of current pricing. Your best bet is probably to shoot the new ammunition for plinking, save the brass and reload it rather than trying to salvage the commercial components to reduce cost ...

Thanks for all the info, and to clarify, i have components that i probably won't get around to reloading and wondering if its worth selling and just replacing with factory rounds 

@No_0ne offered some solid info.

I enjoy handloading, so there's that. But brass prep for rifle cartridges can be time consuming and tedious...

The price of ammo, heck, everything firearms related, is at an almost unprecedented low point currently. Since these things are proven cyclic, it wouldn't be a bad idea to simply purchase ammo you want to shoot now, before the next crazy period in the cycle.

Components, if stored properly, last an incredibly long time. I've used powder and primers over the past 2 years I purchased in the early to mid 1990's and they functioned as new. 

It's your call. But I'd keep my components and buy the ammo. Just an opinion. :)

• Like 1

Component, and loaded rounds, availability is my worry, sure now you can buy many rounds at or below what you can reload for, but what of later.  I have enough components to keep me occupied for years, I have a bunch of lead too, with everything to cast my own, so cost can be reduced quite a bit.  If all you do is plink and hunt now and then, then maybe commercial rounds would be better for you, but if you, like me, consider reloading as a hobby as well, well then, the cost is actually secondary.

Thanks.  I'm not considering just getting rid of components.  I'm considering "trading" them for as many commercial rounds as i could get for the same money, if that makes sense.  

11 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Thanks.  I'm not considering just getting rid of components.  I'm considering "trading" them for as many commercial rounds as i could get for the same money, if that makes sense.  

If you already have someone lined up to trade with, do what works for you.

If you plan to list the items for trade on this forum (requires a Benefactor status) someone might well take you up on it. Heck I might depending on where you are in TN. It's a long State!

But it all depends on what you mean by "decent (standard) components". Which powder or brand, size of the container, and size of primers and number of them, etc.

Components are very affordable and readily available currently as well, more so than I've seen in literally years. It's the HazMat shipping that's off putting to most and we usually offset that by purchasing in bulk quantities.

Powders and primers are very specific to the user's need and their particular area of interest in handloading. For example I handload 90-95% of my handgun rounds and only 5-1% of my rifle/carbine rounds. Therefore I have powder and primers that meet my perceived needs setback. 

If by "decent (standard) components" you mean bullets and brass, well there's need for that in certain circumstances and Flat Rate USPS shipping is readily available. 

But then, again, we don't know what you mean by "decent (standard) components". So,it depends... ;)

There are many online vendors you can check for price, shipping, and availability to give you an idea of what the components you have are selling for. You just have to match another's current needs with your current needs.

Based on the amount of information you've provided that's the best advice I can offer...and it's worth just what you paid for it LOL

Good Luck @BlessTheUSA.