Back Yard Range

pop pop

We took our first born daughter to a horse show last evening. Didn't get home until 1:00 AM. Got up this morning and opened the curtains, which overlooks our back yard. There sits a large track laying loader. It appears my son-in-law and grandson have decided to build my shooting range in the back yard today.

We have 3 acers of land, and in the far left corner, of my back yard, we have a perfect place to put an earthen berm to shoot into. I have several large boulders that need to be moved and some large rock crevasses that needs to be filled, with dirt, so we can have a 100 yard range, and a substantial berm to absorb the bullets in order to provide a good backstop. My last wood backstop lasted 25 years, but is toast now.

I guess grandson will clear the area, with the loader, and SIL will haul several large truckloads of dirt today. Oh well another $1,000.00 down the tubes, but will have an excellent firing range afterwards, that should last for years.

Son in law's dad has a construction company, and thankfully, I do get the family discount. There is a side note to this venture, grandson wants a good 100 yard rifle range to shoot his Weatherby 06 that Pop Pop laid on him last Christmas.

I want to put up some popper plates, square metel plates, and a good backstop, with a very smooth area in front of the berm, so we will be able to move and fire safely.

All my family likes to shoot when the come for a visit. We have 4 girls and 6 grandchildren so we can burn some ammo on an outing.

Looks like we are in for a busy day.

• Like 7

Well, we got the ground work done on the new shooting range. I went out early this morning and weed-eated the area so we could see what we were doing. Moved several large boulders and got a fairly level 20' wide alley way, 60' long through the trees which will act as a sound barrier for the neighbors. The under brush, below 40 to 50' tall trees, is so dense one has a very hard time walking through it. My grandson and I had previously cut most of the underbrush earlier this spring. Where the berm will be the area fans out to about 35' wide and should be able to make the berm about 25 to 35" in length.

We should get 100 yards shooting distance fairly easy now. Grandson is already talking about sighting his deer rifles in. I am going to need to cut one 15"x 30' tree and plan to do it first of the week.  We did have one very large boulder we will not be able to move until we get some packed dirt around it so we can get good footing for the track loader. Other than this we are ready for dirt and grass seed.  We will sow it all down in grass and be able to keep it mowed easily. 

Been looking forward to this for a while now. I have missed my back yard shooting area. This one should be much better than our previous one. 

Good job pop pop. Finished mine a while back with a 25 yd, 75 yd and 200 yd berm. Have shot a couple of times, but it is still too hot to really enjoy using it. Hard to see when sweat is running into my eyes. Mine is about 300 yds from my house drive right up next to it in the jeep.. Have a 50 ft bullet trap set up out of the end of my basement for testing hand gun loads. Waiting for cooler weather to set and check zero on several long guns. Can bush hog mine when it needs mowing. Know you and your family will enjoy the ease of stepping out the back door and shooting. Have fun!!!!

Owejia, we were down in your neck of the woods last Friday. Stopped to eat at the Scoop and Go Restaurant, in College Grove. Went to just down from C G and picked up the horses, then went to Triune, and took my daughter, and 3 others to the horse show.  

Yes we will really enjoy the range when it gets a little cooler.  Know what you mean about sweet in the eyes. 

We dumped 3 loads of dirt on the range yesterday afternoon. We need 3 more loads then the rough in will be complete. I operated the Skid Steer track loader and spread the dirt in between the rocks and leveled out a driveway to get the dump truck back to where the berm will be located. I need to work the first load of dirt as high as I can get it this morning. We will dump another load beside the first one and work it in this afternoon L/w. Hopefully my son in law will be able to haul the other 3 loads after he gets off work this afternoon.

The range is shaping up nicely. Will be great when we get it all sown down, with grass seed, and to its finished grade. Expecting rain on Wednesday and hope we can get the dirt on site before it rains. Don't want to tear up my yard no more than necessary. I am getting an extra load of topsoil so I can repair some areas in the yard to make better.

I am so excited and so is my grandson. He had an accident while drilling something yesterday. He ripped his fingernail off, on his pointer(index finger) on his right hand. He is kinda slowed at present and really bummed out because he is not able to run the Skid Steer. He was over last evening and asked who spread the dirt. His dad said Pop Pop did it and he looked at me like I had a whole in my head. His dad told him I ran all types of construction equipment, while in the Red Horse Battalion, in Viet Nam. The Sea Bees trained us and we did the same thing they do.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, pop pop said:

Owejia, we were down in your neck of the woods last Friday. Stopped to eat at the Scoop and Go Restaurant, in College Grove. Went to just down from C G and picked up the horses, then went to Triune, and took my daughter, and 3 others to the horse show.  

Yes we will really enjoy the range when it gets a little cooler.  Know what you mean about sweet in the eyes. 

Cottage Grove not College Grove, Pop Pop. A lot of people get them confused. Sounds like progress is being made on your shooting range. Know what you mean about operating dirt moving equipment, with all the new electronic gadgets the dozer will automatically control the blade and grade using a laser. Would like to see some of these young operators try and blue top using a cable control blade

• Like 1

We finished the new shooting range yesterday evening. It took 7 loads of dirt, and I put the  finishing touches on the range just before we got a 6/10 of an inch of rain on it. I had just finished covering the grass seed, with a hand rake, when it started sprinkling. I even sowed the 7' tall berm with the grass seed. 

I still need to cut 3 large trees, but will do that later this fall. I have a good friend who burns wood, and he and I will cut them in early November. It will be his wood for next year as he likes to get his wood dried before burning in his fireplace and wood for camping. 

It was a lot of work. This range will, most probably, be the last one I will ever need. I have a good 25'X50' pistol range and added 70 feet to the range where we can get 100 yards easily now. The berm is 25' wide, which should be adequate for my purposes. I drained the shooting area well and smoothed it out so one can move and shoot without experiencing terrain problems. 

My son in law delivered us 22 tons of gravel so my day will consist of spreading and leveling a 300' driveway. He brought me a big tractor, with a loader and box scraper on it, to do the job. We have a wonderful son in law. Looking forward to a week of rest then going on our first RV trip after labor day. Will be dipping some lures in a 2 week long quest for fish and good eats. May I say a well deserved rest. 

Finished spreading and leveling the new load of gravel on the driveway yesterday afternoon. All my projects are finished now. Looking forward to a full week of recovery rest before our fishing trip the following week. I am exhausted. My sweetie told me, last evening, that an old man should act his age. Said I was pushing myself too hard. I told her I had to do my part as the others were putting time in on my projects.

Son in law came over last evening to pick up his tractor. I asked him what I owed his dad for the dirt, hauling it, the use of his Skid Steer loader and the gravel. He told me 299.00 for the cost of the 22 tons of gravel, and the rest was no charge. Of course we will buy him some gift certificates for his favorite restaurants.

Will go to the bank, this morning, and get some cash. Son in law has 3 kids to raise, and I know he can use a little extra money. Can I say, "I Have Been Blessed." Now, rest, rest and more rest. Planning to be lazy this next week. Whata a week!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Where at in Lascassas? That's where I live.

Cainsville Pike?  Only been out there a few times, but I knew him back when we were Yankee's! He moved down here for all the usual reasons and to be near his Mom. Took me a few years, but I saw the light, too, and ended up over here! We still get together about once a year.

- K

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

He told me 299.00 for the cost of the 22 tons of gravel, and the rest was no charge. Of course we will buy him some gift certificates for his favorite restaurants. 

LOL! I was quoted $500 for a tri-axle of Crusher run from just about everybody. Usually around $17/ton depending on the quarry, 100 bucks to haul it.

I bet if you fire up the grill and invite a few TGO'ers to ummm, test the backstop, they'll get a picture posted for you! 

I got the family discount ReeferMac. He just charged me for his cost on the rock. This rock came from a rock  quarry in Woodbury, I believe. He did not charge me for the haul because his truck was coming to the "Boro" after work. My son in law drove it over and spread it for me. 

We need to meet ReeferMac. I live on Lofton Rd. straight across 96 from Cainsville pike, 5th house on right from 96 E.  Come see me, and I will show you my range although it is real muddy after our rain a couple days ago. .

On 8/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, ReeferMac said:

Cainsville Pike?  Only been out there a few times, but I knew him back when we were Yankee's! He moved down here for all the usual reasons and to be near his Mom. Took me a few years, but I saw the light, too, and ended up over here! We still get together about once a year.

- K

I live on the other side of Lascassas on Valley View Road. 

Thanks Pop Pop... dunno when I'll get out to see him again, but it does seem to come up every now and again. I get that way for work once a year or so, but it's usually in and out for a training event or something @ Corp. office by the airport. I'll keep it in mind!

-Kevin