S&W gurus.......I could use some help.

Handsome Rob

I've just been given this by a really good friend (it's good to help out sometimes!)

As far as I can tell it's a Model 32 (possibly a Terrier) in .38 s&w

That's pretty much all kinds can find online about it. I found a couple on Gunbroker with values that, to me, seem outlandish, but I can't find any dating info for the serial number. 

It has one number on the butt, that matches inside the grips, but there's a different number on the inside of the crane.

Can anyone help me out with dating/value info please? This is my first actual Smith revolver.....

20190817_163744.jpg

20190817_163759.jpg

20190817_163841.jpg

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Now that presents a conundrum.

Yeah, The Book leads me to believe all J-frames of that era had a J or R prefix.  It specifically lists the R prefix for Model 32’s and as we see it is a 32-1 with matching grips so that rules out a 1957 model as you already know would be correct for that number with no prefix. J or R, would still make it a ‘73 gun IMO, according to what The Book says, but it is not always right.

Rob, you might want to go over to the S&W forum (the blue one that sucks on mobile) and let those guys figure this out.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Yeah, The Book leads me to believe all J-frames of that era had a J or R prefix.  It specifically lists the R prefix for Model 32’s and as we see it is a 32-1 with matching grips so that rules out a 1957 model as you already know would be correct for that number with no prefix. J or R, would still make it a ‘73 gun IMO, according to what The Book says, but it is not always right.

Rob, you might want to go over to the S&W forum (the blue one that sucks on mobile) and let those guys figure this out.

Evidently the Terrier serial numbers were separate from the rest of the j frames. I knew the model 60 numbers were different, but not the terriers. I’m always learning something. As my memory fades, I find I learn the same things multiple times.

• Like 1

Nice little revolver! This looks like what you were looking for, unless it’s worth a lot of money. Reloading may be the way to go for it though. .38S&W isn’t that easy to find.  And most of it that I’ve seen are lead round nose. Not the greatest defense round out there. Of course, if you are just going to use it to plink with, then who cares. 🙂

• Like 1

I just did some more digging through the book.  Your Model 32-1 was most likely made in 1968/1969.  The listing is on a different page from the rest of the J-frames, thus the confusion.  It also says R prefixes for this model started in 1969 and as diamond grips were eliminated in '68, this one is on the cusp so to speak.

.38 Regulation Police and Models 32,33

1949-1969  54475-122678

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I just did some more digging through the book.  Your Model 32-1 was most likely made in 1968/1969.  The listing is on a different page from the rest of the J-frames, thus the confusion.  It also says R prefixes for this model started in 1969 and as diamond grips were eliminated in '68, this one is on the cusp so to speak.

.38 Regulation Police and Models 32,33

1949-1969  54475-122678

Dude, you're AWESOME! Thank you for all your help.

The guys over at S&W either don't know or are ignoring me :)

6 hours ago, robtattoo said:

Dude, you're AWESOME! Thank you for all your help.

The guys over at S&W either don't know or are ignoring me :)

You put it in the right section. Someone will be along sooner or later and give you more info than you ever cared to know about it. Between all the members there, someone knows EVERYTHING!!! They are very good about sharing information too.

You are getting some action over there now, Rob.

Edited by gregintenn

See if you can find some of the old British .38/200 ammo or at least a good recipe for it. All it is is a 38 S&W with a heavier bullet for a bit extra thump. The British used that load for their military or police revolvers with good results for 50 years or more. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You put it in the right section. Someone will be along sooner or later and give you more info than you ever cared to know about it. Between all the members there, someone knows EVERYTHING!!! They are very good about sharing information too.

You are getting some action over there now, Rob.

Agree 100%. While I'm new over there I've found them to be extremely knowledgeable, informative, and friendly.

It took a few hours before they started providing info on my M&P .32, but the volume of info on that thread now is encyclopedic! :)

• Like 1