Pig hunting

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, 10-Ring said:

A couple of buddy's and myself were able to get on a land owner exemption list and are doing some pig hunting.  I took the first one the other night.  We are hunting over a feeder that is on a timer and the pigs seem to be all trained up.  I spent a bunch of years hunting pigs unsuccessfully but I believe I've finally figured out enough to have some success within the past couple of years. 

I certainly don't mind to discuss strategy and tactics, but I will not discuss where I am hunting.  

This one was a smaller 40ish pounder that came in with 6 others.  My buddy and I agreed to shoot on 3, he counted and forgot to shoot, and I took home the bacon.  He was still nice enough to help me dress it and it was on ice in less than an hour after shooting.  

One thing for sure is that the rest of them don't stick around.  I swear they were fine before the bullet hit this one.  

http://imgur.com/gallery/uDv3d45 

For some reason I am unable to embed the picture.

It's nice to have a set-up such as a timed feeder but, for those who don't, won't or can't hunt over a bait station, 3 or 4  one quart zip-lock bags filled with corn mash and set out in a 180 degree arc (downwind) works better than anything I've ever used. Placing the bait piles 75-100 yards out will help to keep the shots on incoming pork well within the range of most any rifle, slug or, smokepole.        Disclaimer: this is a PATIENT man's game

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thsnks for sharing Robtattoo, errr, @Handsome Rob, sorry :lol:.

Interesting theory on that feeder on a timer.... my neighbor has a fersl hog problem on his rural property, but hasn't found a consistent time to hunt them - they seem to come and go randomly. I'd bet he would be interested in trying that. How long did it take to get the trained? Thanks.

Being fairly intelligent animals, I would guess once they are in the area frequently enough to know there is a consistent food source, timing them shouldn't take too long.  They may even be trained to just the sound of the feeder.  Think Pavlov

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Thsnks for sharing Robtattoo, errr, @Handsome Rob, sorry :lol:.

Interesting theory on that feeder on a timer.... my neighbor has a fersl hog problem on his rural property, but hasn't found a consistent time to hunt them - they seem to come and go randomly. I'd bet he would be interested in trying that. How long did it take to get the trained? Thanks.

We set a camera up on the feeder, they are usually trained up within a week, 2 max. The trick is not putting out a bunch of corn at once.  Usually between 1-2 pounds 3x per day (we normally do one in the morning and two in the evening) you don't want the pigs to think they can get food any time if day, you want them to have the mentality that if they aren't there when the feeder cycles then they won't get any. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 8/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, Handsome Rob said:

I've been using this basic recipe for cured hams for ages & I've yet to have it yields anything but sweet, pink perfection....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cured-and-smoked-deer-ham.129141/

These 2 I brined for 16 days, washed & dried for 3, vaccuum marinated in pineapple, brown sugar, garlic & paprika for 3 days, then smoked for 3 hours. Finished in the oven for another 4 with a glaze made with a reduction from the marinade. Without a doubt, the best ham I've ever eaten. I have one to a buddy to take to a Utah hunting camp, to split with 6 others. Those 6 deny having even tried it because my bud ate the entire freaking thing on the drive! :o

20180813_193807.jpg

20180813_191236.jpg

20180815_120634-1.jpg

@Handsome Rob, I have been wanting to try this recipe since you posted it 2+ years ago.  I have very recently come into some fresh pork and it is now time.  I have a couple of questions about your process.  When you refer to drying the hams, how exactly are you doing that?  I understand the process of vacuum marinating but I'm familiar with it in very small quantities.  How do you go about vacuum marinating a whole ham?

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

@Handsome Rob, I have been wanting to try this recipe since you posted it 2+ years ago.  I have very recently come into some fresh pork and it is now time.  I have a couple of questions about your process.  When you refer to drying the hams, how exactly are you doing that?  I understand the process of vacuum marinating but I'm familiar with it in very small quantities.  How do you go about vacuum marinating a whole ham?

The ham will continue to get drier (more and more moisture removed) as they hang - but you really can’t over do it. Once you get the moisture down below a certain level - it’s just inhospitable to bacteria.

At some point it will be so dry that you will just use it to make really great soup. 

• Like 1