2A adversaries in TN

One of the draws for my move to TN is my perception that it is more 2A friendly than many other places.  Apparently that doesn't sit well with all.  On the City Data Forum where I've been researching in preparation for my move I got into a little bit of a back & forth regarding 2A rights and liberties in TN.  I thought you guys may find it interesting what others think, both for and against.

Firearm discussion starts on page 4, where this link should take you: http://www.city-data.com/forum/kingsport-johnson-city-bristol/3050334-questions-about-johnson-city-4.html

My posts:

#36 "My perception that the politicians in Tennessee, especially local politicians, are trying to prevent the erosion of the Second Amendment is one of the draws as to why I am moving to Tennessee. I have been disappointed to see responsible gun owners in Florida, where I currently reside, and across the nation as a whole being vilified through the bias of the left stream media and myopic, dishonest, pandering politicians."

#45 "A relevant video with levity. Those of you who take the time to watch the two minute video will have a good laugh about how someone pro 2A to deal with the unrealistic presumptions of someone who is opposed to 2A rights 
https://youtu.be/JIiFeZ7r6aU

#47 "As we have seen time and time again, you’re most likely to be killed by a gun and a person with bad intentions while in a gun free zone. Along that line, I wish that signs did not carry the weight of law in Tennessee. In Florida signage is not something we need to concern ourselves with"

#53 Quote:

Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
The vast majority of Americans, Republicans included, support some sort of action on guns. I am a liberal, but I understand why some people feel they want to have a personal weapon....particularly in rural areas. I don't advocate banning guns or confiscating guns. I do advocate for red flag laws where, with due process, guns can temporarily be removed from people threatening harm to themselves or others and point-of-sale background checks for all gun transactions. If you are a responsible gun owner, neither of these should infringe on your rights at all. Moms Demand Action has 6 million supporters and a lot of us are in Tennessee.

"."I thought we were shunning discussing general politics versus Tennessee specific topics, but here we go...
Although I am not convinced of your assertion that the “vast majority” seek further infringement of the Second Amendment, I will point out that the majority is not always right. 

Red flag laws are ripe for abuse. Although I cannot speak to Tennessee laws, the Florida Baker Act provision is currently sufficient when properly used. The red flag laws as currently proposed are certainly not grounded in due process prior to confiscation.

The problem with background checks is that it leads to registration. Registration leads to confiscation. If you don’t see a problem with that just look to Venezuela and Hong Kong. Nazi Germany stands in even more stark testament as to how the government abuses an unarmed populous. 

Regarding Moms Demand Action, that sounds like a dating site. 

It’s amazing how as recently as the early 1970s firearms could be ordered from the Sears catalog and delivered straight to your home. Fully automatic weapons at that time did not require special government permission. It was a much better time."

Edited by billyblazes
21 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

It’s amazing how as recently as the early 1970s firearms could be ordered from the Sears catalog and delivered straight to your home. Fully automatic weapons at that time did not require special government permission. It was a much better time."

If you are going to engage in 2A discussions you might want to get your facts straight.  Both of those statements are incorrect. 

The NFA of 1934 restricted ownership of fully automatic weapons to those who  choose to pay the tax.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 regulated the interstate transfer of all firearms.  They was no more sending of guns to your doorstep from dealers after that.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

Thank you for the correction. I’ll humbly update my post. I’m too young to have firsthand  knowledge of the events of those times. That’s what I get for relying on what I’ve read elsewhere without vetting it for myself. 

Edited by billyblazes
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Is Tennessee more 2A friendly than Florida at this point?

We don't have an idiotic red flag law, not yet anyway.

Bill

10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Is Tennessee more 2A friendly than Florida at this point?

I feel there are pros and cons to both states. For instance, in Tennessee open carry is legal. In Florida it can only be done in very particular circumstances such as while actively engaged in hunting, fishing, camping, or target practice, or while going to and from those activities. 

In Florida we have a concealed weapons license which covers more than just handguns. In Tennessee I understand that batons are not covered under the concealed carry license. In Florida, the reasoning is that a knife, baton, or other defensive weapon will be no more lethal than a firearm. 

Florida does have red flag laws and they have been abused. Allegedly. 

There is a strong push in Florida for an “Assault Weapons” ban. 

Challenges are also being mounted to the States preemption.   Preemption has been a godsend here in Florida where the state reserves all authority for regulating and making laws regarding firearms. In the past it was a patchwork of laws between different counties and cities.   With the exception of some leeway on waiting periods for purchase, local municipalities must follow state laws regarding firearms and they cannot make up their own.   That pertains to where firearms may be possessed, how they may be carried, and what types of firearms are permitted. 

In Florida signs banning firearms do not carry the weight of the law.  Although a verbal request from a business owner must be immediately heeded, a sign on the door saying “no guns allowed” does not matter.

In Florida one is allowed to consume alcohol while armed. The blood alcohol content to be considered impaired with a firearm is actually higher than it is to be considered impaired when driving. Rather than 0.08 that will get you a DUI, you’re not considered impaired with a firearm until you are at 0.10.

A nuance though is one is not allowed to legally carry in an area where the primary revenue is from alcohol sold for consumption on the premises.

It can get a little confusing. I can legally go into a Chili’s or a like establishment sit at a booth in the restaurant and drink a couple of beers with my meal. By the letter of the law, I would not be allowed to traverse through the bar section to go to the bathroom because that area makes its lion’s share of revenue from alcohol.

One is also allowed to carry in a liquor store because there it is not sold for consumption on site.  

The stand your ground law when properly applied is a benefit as it no longer calls upon the person being threatened or attacked to retreat so long as they are lawfully going about their business in a place where they are allowed to be. 

One thing that really burns me is our State legislature made it so that anyone between the ages of 18 until they turn 21 is not allowed to purchase any firearm whatsoever. Not a handgun. Not a long gun. Nothing 

I’m sure there are more pluses and minuses for both states, but that’s what comes to mind at the moment.

Edited by billyblazes

I doubt many people pick where they live based on gun laws. But with that being said in Florida “Concealed means concealed”. That by itself would rule them out for me. I also would see it as a negative that they allow people to carry a gun while too impaired to drive a car; that defies common sense.