On AIWB and my expanding gut

• Moderators

Some folks say that AIWB is only for skinny guys to brag about being skinny. I’ve come to realize that it really is the method of carry that allows for the fastest and most efficient draw. It works really well, there’s just one real problem with it. The longer I drive a truck, the bigger my belly gets. I’ve tried multiple AIWB holsters with varying degrees of success between fail to middlin. Some were better than others, but nothing was ever really that comfortable. 

Now I think I’ve actually found a well made and quite comfortable AIWB holster. It’s made by Tier 1 Concealed. It’s a sidecar style holster that is two pieces attached with a laced bungee cord that allows the two pieces to flex and curve around mah belly. Here’s a few pics of me with, without, and with shirt lifted to show the rig. 

The gun is an M&P 9 2.0 Compact with a 15 rd in gun and a 17rd as a spare. I can sit down and stand up without it digging into my legs or restricting my movement and making me move like I’m 90 years old because it cut circulation from digging into my thighs.

Without gun:

ADE27At.jpg

a8akMzp.jpg

With gun:

dTmzTln.jpg

ksZowN7.jpg

mCZY1QF.jpg

I’m sorry for this next one and its view of my pasty white belly, but it’s useful for showing how it sits in the pants.

NFrIEjv.jpg

Here’s pics of the rig by itself. 

2Z3abuI.jpg

QEsPUvH.jpg

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3

I've got a Trex Arms sidecar and I was surprised how well it conceals. I can carry a Glock 19 with a 15 round mag and a 19 round back up. When I bought the thing I was about 225, I ballooned up to 245 and could not carry the holster until recently. I've lost around 15 pounds on a Keto diet and have started carrying the Trex arms holster again. Like you said it really is a quick draw from concealment, just keep the ole trigger finger far away while drawing :)

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, FrankD said:

I have one of these for my S&W Shield and I cannot get the fit just right with it.  I am actually thinking of adding a wedge to the inside down by the barrel to get the grip to tuck a little more at the top. 

Probably not a bad idea. I’ve added wedges to other AIWB holsters to adjust fit and tuck. 

I’ve been thinking about designing a holster than can be adjusted 360 degrees AND be thin. I just can’t carry with a gun pointed at my junk. Also, doesn’t it poke into you when you sit down? I’d like an angled Cross draw.

But don’t worry if I do design it; I won’t model it. And I obviously won’t ask Elliott to model it either. :)

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
20 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Yeah, I don't like the idea of the gun aimed at my ding-ding!

I used to be uncomfortable with that idea myself, then I realized I’m not a precision marksman. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Adding a little humor to the big guy appendix carry discussion.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag71l93rvao

Dude is funny, but 100% on the moves I do when I transition from standing to seated and back again. I’m only about 235# so I haven’t moved beyond the 300th parallel, but it’s spot on accurate. 

36 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dude is funny, but 100% on the moves I do when I transition from standing to seated and back again. I’m only about 235# so I haven’t moved beyond the 300th parallel, but it’s spot on accurate. 

I've surpassed it. It's one of the things that I excel at! :rofl:

• Haha 1

My EDC is a Sig M11A1. Rather heavy at 2.4 lbs and I carry on my right side. Does it bulge out? Yes. Do I care? No. I always have it covered with my shirt and if other people have a problem knowing I carry a gun, tough dung for them.

Bill                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

IMG_1221.JPG