Greetings..New to Tennessee

I just wanted to say hello "again" to everyone on this forum.  I joined many years ago when I thought I was moving to Tennessee and have time to time come to browse the forum and make a few posts.  However, I have never in my life lived in Tennessee , but always was intrigued by the state and did end up living in North Carolina for a short time.  Well, I just wanted to say I will be moving to the Nashville area next week and wanted to send my greetings again, now that I will become a Tennessee resident.  I am originally from the Pacific Northwest (state of Oregon) and currently live in Denver, Colorado area.  It appears so much of the West Coast is just not what it use to be and as much as I miss my native Oregon, the place is just not where you want to be if you want to be successful in business or cherish your gun rights.  The state has been pretty much been taken over by the most liberal types.  Colorado I guess is on its same way.

After visiting Nashville I was pretty impressed by how much cleaner and nicer of a city it was then most of the West Coast cities.  It is sad to see how much of a dump Portland, Seattle and Denver have become, the uncontrolled homelessness, mental health and drug issues.    I was impressed by Nashville and the beauty of Middle Tennessee and Chattanooga were impressive.  I also remember driving over the Smokey Mountains last year and they were quite bewildering and beautiful.

I am struggling a bit in a dying family business and have incurred some disabilities from my many years of software work. I  have degenerate disc problems and other injuries, but I am fighting through them and hoping to get a home-based software business launched. I may end up having to find work in Nashville, but having hope I can get back on my feet.  The living costs in Tennessee and less taxes will be a bargain to what I am paying in Colorado.  I am not a fan of Colorado; it just isn't for me.  As well, this state is on its way to becoming the next California and gun rights are already being restricted.

I really got a good deal on an apartment not too far from Nashville, but closer to Lebanon.   It's a real beautiful area.    I found the people in Tennessee to be pretty friendly and welcoming and spent a bit of time in Murfreesboro, Lebanon and Nashville proper.   I wasn't shocked, but it does appear Nashville is quite a liberal city and all the sights of No Gun Signs and force of law will take some getting use to.  Ironically, the liberals in Oregon/Washington are working on adopting those laws as well. The old cowboy/rancher/logger heritage mixed with Libertarian mentality of the Northwest helped keep those laws away, but I am sure they will instituted eventually, as well as Red Flag laws which are now already enforced.  Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the Northwest and Colorado push Assault Weapon Bans, Mag Bans and even Forced Gun Buybacks.  Washington already now has a gun registry for what they call "Assault Weapons", yet very few people have complied and registered their guns, despite the law stating you can be arrested and serve jail time for not doing so.   It will be interested to see what happens in Washington and possibly soon Oregon.

Anyway, I look forward to living in Tennessee. I haven't really had time or money to get involved in shooting, but I did get back on the waiting list of Strategic Edge (over year wait now).  I'm hoping to do some more frequent pistol shooting again and maybe eventually when things are bit easier financially be able to shoot my ARs and other rifles..  It's been too long for me and I've gotten rusty.  Life has just been a bit challenging for the last few years.  Tennessee does appear to be a state that has a lot of people who love their gun rights, despite a few caveats like No Gun Sign laws and 8-hour course requirements for CHL.  But, the gun laws appear more friendly than many other states, including North Carolina and South Carolina, which have some laws like Must Inform that I did not like.   It would be nice to meet other people of this mentality, but I know these things take time when you are new to a place.  

Since I am moving to the Nashville area now, I will definitely spend more time on this forum. 

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Like 2

Welcome back.

12 hours ago, 4Freedom said:

The state has been pretty much been taken over by the most liberal types.  Colorado I guess is on its same way.

It’s all that weed. You can’t stay high all the time and make good common-sense decisions. Sorry to all our local stoners. EqcmKa2.gif

:leaving:

• Haha 2

Just read an article that rated TN as the second most friendly state in the country. Minnesota got first place but there are lots of reasons not to live there so 2nd sounds good enough to me.

Welcome 4F

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Just read an article that rated TN as the second most friendly state in the country. Minnesota got first place but there are lots of reasons not to live there so 2nd sounds good enough to me.

Welcome 4F

Thank you Jeb!   Yeah, I have heard Tennessee is very friendly and on my short 10 day visit I was impressed by how nice the people were.  Nashville, of course, is the big city, and people are never quite as friendly as in the smaller towns.  But, even for a big city, it seemed pretty friendly.  I really liked the people I met hanging around Murfreesboro.  That town had a lot more charm than I expected and I really liked all the old buildings and even the college campus was pretty impressive.    Downtown Lebanon really looks historic and pretty impressive.  I admire the architecture of the cities in Tennessee.  Sadly, they have been demolishing most of the historic buildings in Oregon and Washington to build more ugly condos and apartments.  Seattle almost has lost all its historic buildings.  Ballard, for example, use to be such a nice quaint (although , a bit gritty and rough around the edges) fishing village with a lot of Norwegian descendants.  The Norwegian parade is a big deal there (or it was).  Now, its an ugly plastic strip of overpriced condos, apartments and tacky and overpriced restaurants.

Colorado has brutal enough winters for me and I would just die living in Minnesota.  I don't know the appeal of it.  I've also heard friendliness in Minnesota is a little more like that of the Northwest in its friendliness, which is polite and all, but a little aloof.  Cold, dreary places tend to promote introverted culture.   People in Tennessee seem a lot more social and outgoing to me.   Colorado is kind of like a hybrid of Oregon and Wyoming.  It is definitely a pioneer state and people are very independent and like to keep to themselves.  Not a fan of Denver at all, but I do like Colorado Springs a lot and that area is pretty gorgeous.  Although, not a lot to do in the Springs if you are a single guy.  Boulder does have some nice scenery, but if you are not a liberal billionaire it is just not worth it.  If I was to live in a mountain town, Knoxville is just as scenic as Boulder, a fraction the price and more my taste, anyhow.   I found people in Knoxville to be real friendly and love the beauty of Smokey Mountains.  And, of course, I am going to take a trip to the new Bud's Gun Shop that is located there :D

I just cannot wait to get out of here.  I've been packing up morning until night, since my trip lasted longer than I thought it would and I got to drive a 26 ft rental truck.. Just hope we don't get more monster hail storms like we been having.  Two weeks ago, record hail (4.5 in wide) fell on the Colorado/Kansas border and damaged a lot of trucks. 

Looking forward to getting this dreadful move done with!

Edited by 4Freedom
  • Like 1

Good Luck with your move. Nashville is way too crowded (traffic) for me, but it is a thriving business hub from what I found out. As far as your DDD, once you get settled, try a inversion table. I picked one up for about 100 bucks on Amazon and it has been a help to my back when I push it too much. Also if you like the alternative aspect of healing, get the Book " The MMS Handbook" by Antje Oswald M.D.  Folks have had great results with their joint inflammation as per the book. Iv tried it for an other issue and I'm happy with the results I received.  

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the welcome!     I just arrived to Nashville, TN after a very rigorous journey in my truck from Denver, CO.   I got caught in a horrible storm once I started approaching Hays, Kansas that I am glad I lived through!  There was tornado warnings along the whole route I was driving and I got caught in a thunderstorm from hell.   I am from the Pacific Northwest and not use to the nutty Midwestern summer weather.  There was non-stop lighting that blinded my eyes since I was driving at night.  Then I got caught in a very bad hail storm that was pummeling my truck and sounding like I was getting smashed with stones.  After reading the news report I was told it was about golf ball size hail.   I saw some bad accidents, people terrified and huddling together under freeway underpasses trying to wait out the storm.  The rain and wind got very heavy and hearing the loud thunder I was terrified there could be tornado clouds moving towards me in the night.  I'm not use to being in a storm of this caliber being from a place that doesn't get psycho weather of this capacity.   Once I arrived in Hays, KS I waited out the storm to pass and there were emergency weather reports all over the TV stations telling people not to drive.   I literally watched the storm pass over me and then saw it move out far beyond me in the distance which actually looked pretty cool.   I was very happy I endured all this in a 26ft rental truck and not in my own car.  It kind of shielded me from some of that weather and wasn't worried about the hail damage :D

On 8/28/2019 at 3:56 PM, xtriggerman said:

Good Luck with your move. Nashville is way too crowded (traffic) for me, but it is a thriving business hub from what I found out. As far as your DDD, once you get settled, try a inversion table. I picked one up for about 100 bucks on Amazon and it has been a help to my back when I push it too much. Also if you like the alternative aspect of healing, get the Book " The MMS Handbook" by Antje Oswald M.D.  Folks have had great results with their joint inflammation as per the book. Iv tried it for an other issue and I'm happy with the results I received.  

Hi xtriggerman, well, Nashville probably would have not been my first pick, but if I cannot start and online business and since our family software business is falling apart, I may end up having to find some IT work (anything I can do with my back condition) and Nashville obviously is the place to be.  I have done some research on inversion tables and have had heard of some people who have had a lot of success with them.  Some others claim they haven't helped them as much.   I have had some success with physical therapy and have yet to engage into the deep physical therapy (because of my cross country move) that my therapist in Colorado wanted me to do.  However, I am big into alternative treatments and tend to live as naturally as I can.  I'd be interested to learn more about that book and whenI get time spend some reading it.  I also read another book that helped me in the past (i've had a long history of bad back/neck form this job), called Healing Back Pain Naturally.    When I get more time, I may like to discuss some of this with you.   Once I get settled from this dreaded move, I plan on spending time trying to rehabilitate myself.  I really abused myself with this move, but the collagen/joint supplements and other types of supplements I have been taking I think helped me get through it better than I could have.  I've notice some improvement from what I am taking.  I am taking a line of supplements fro ma company Ancestral Supplements that includes Raw Collagen, Raw Trachea and Raw Bone Marrow.  As well taking Bone Broth and other Collagen supplements that seem to be helping.

I appreciate you sharing with me about your solutions.  I'm always eager to learn more from others.  It's been a tough journey fighting through this DDD and neck injury issues I have.

Welcome to Tennessee, 4Freedom!  I lived in MN years ago.  Gotta believe Tennessee is more friendly.  TN is certainly waaaaaaaaay better than living in the Peoples Republic of ILLannoy.  Moved here from there a year ago.

Congrats on dealing so well with all the adversity you've had to face.  You're gonna really like things better here.  Stay well, and Keep the Faith!

Q

• Like 1

Thank you QuackerSmacker..  I just finally got done moving and feeling like a zombie.  

I'm glad to hear you managed to escape Illinois!  I have to be honest, I always hate having to drive through Illinois as all three of my carry permits are not recognized there.   It's a pain.. And, my GPS one time got me lost in East St. Louis and I was pretty freaked out.. That is one of the rougher towns I have seen.     I just drove through half of Illinois to get to Kentucky a couple days ago.  I never realized how rural and empty most of the state is.  I am sure , like my home state of Oregon, one city dictates the laws of the rest of the state. 

Yeah, I think I'll take Tennessee winters over Minnesota or Illinois winters :D    I am looking forward to living in Tennessee and hope I can make it here in Nashville.  I'm going through a tough time with the dying family business and may end up needing work.   I am hopeful things will work out in the end.  I am happy to be out of the West Coast.. It is just going downhill.   It is sad to see my home state turn into the cesspool it has become.. Hopefully, Tennessee can manage to retain its charm and stability even with the growth and large number of transplants moving here.