Pre dove hunting prepration

Here is my report. I suck at shooting doves. They were flying really good this afternoon. One side of our field sounded like a war zone. I was on the slow side of the field but still had plenty of opportunities.  

7-CAA02-A5-7-DBC-42-E1-AAAC-43-FF9-B4473

at least my nephew limited out. 

Hey KahrMan, that is one fancy Beretta! That thing should have auto pilot on it, so that all you'd have to do is point it in their direction! LOL Don't feel bad, most us suck at hitting doves, if the truth be known. I haven't been yet. I had a tripple bypass on Jun 20th, so I had better leave my 12 gauge and probably my 20 gauge in the closet. I have a Mossy pump gun in .410, so I might be able to shoot it. But haven't had a place to go, so maybe I won't shoot even the .410!

4 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

Is it wrong to run around with 5 gal buckets of corn and grain looking for dove hunters. Once you find them, you throw the corn out into the field and run like hell. My game warden buddy said it would be a good way to get a azz whooping. LOL.

Or a butt full of birdshot. Lol. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Or a butt full of birdshot. Lol. 

I'm putting a big block Mopar together for a guy today. I have a whiskey bottle full of sweet tea in the shop. I'm going see how much I can down before he gets nervous. You just have to have fun sometimes. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Corn was planted later than normal in SE Missouri due to wet spring and flooding. Normally we have excellent dove hunting but it seems we didn’t get the migration from Northern states. Not a lot of doves except local crop that raised here.  I didn’t hunt because after scouting 2 days before season opened couldn’t bring myself to get up early and fight mosquitos for a few birds. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Mississippi and evidently the hunters in this neck of the woods don't dove hunt like they did down south. It was a family tradition to hunt doves on opening day, maybe a few time afterwards. I like most hunting, but enjoy doves the most. You don't have to be quiet, you usually don't have to freeze your _utt off. And the very best part is if you wrap a piece of delicious bacon around the little dove breast and place it on your grille for a few minutes, you will have some mighty fine eating!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got back from 20 days of dove hunting in Oklahoma.  Full moon and extremely high temperatures ruined morning hunting.  Most doves fed during the night and were coming off the fields right at daylight.  Afternoon hunting wasn't too bad but hit or miss.  Just got an e-mail from the guy I hunt with that the recent rains and cold front that passed through Oklahoma have brought in loads of new doves and fields are loading up.  Missed the big migration as usual.