Sales tax?

broox

When did Palmetto State Armory start adding TN sales tax to orders? I ordered some stuff in April and there was no tax. Today I wanted to check shipping cost on something so I put it in the cart and there was the sales tax charge. Was a new law passed? I'm not complaining, it is fair. Does Amazon also do that?

Edited by broox

Most places charge tax. Amazon does. I have heard people say Buds is now, but I haven’t seen it yet, they didn’t last time I ordered from them. Grab a Gun didn’t the time I ordered from them.

I wish they all would, so I wouldn’t have to file to pay all those taxes. :)

• Like 1

A U.S. Supreme Court decision in June 2018 ruled that states can collect sales taxes from online retailers — even if the retailer does not have a physical presence in the state.

Online retailers are slowly getting their systems up to date to charge tax folks in Tennessee.  Expect more in the future.

5 hours ago, Garufa said:

A U.S. Supreme Court decision in June 2018 ruled that states can collect sales taxes from online retailers — even if the retailer does not have a physical presence in the state.

Online retailers are slowly getting their systems up to date to charge tax folks in Tennessee.  Expect more in the future.

^This.  Amazon is now charging tax on things they handle directly, but they don't (yet) have the capacity, or will to charge from items handled by third-party sellers. I suspect this will also change at some point ...

Used to be one of the compelling reasons to order online. I used to order from Cabela's and have delivered to TN. No tax. 

I expect to see some retailers set up shop virtually outside the US to capitalize on not having to do this. 

I would not mind it as much if so much of the tax money did not get wasted. 

15 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Used to be one of the compelling reasons to order online. I used to order from Cabela's and have delivered to TN. No tax. 

I expect to see some retailers set up shop virtually outside the US to capitalize on not having to do this. 

I would not mind it as much if so much of the tax money did not get wasted. 

But then it gets a 30% tariff applied ...