Tactical knives....which one?

Hi everyone, 
I was looking for a plain edge tactical knives, and after checking out this review  https://wildlifeactionplans.org/tactical-knives/ decided to try out the Smith & Wesson SWBG2TS . Looking at the reviews and prices, they seem to be good for the money and I assume they are made of quality steel. I was wondering, which one you would pick if you were me? 
Smith & Wesson SWBG2TS  or MTech USA Xtreme MX-8054
Thanks. 

Edited by mjalmer89
  • Admin Team

You’ll wind up profoundly disappointed in either of those if you actually use them in any meaningful way.  

Assuming price is a factor, I’d pick a Spyderco Endura or a Delica if you want something smaller.  These are both great folders.  Or, in that sub-$30 category - maybe head to your local Walmart and pick up a Kershaw.  

We’re I looking for a fixed blade in that price range, I’d probably pick up a Mora or three. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Love Moras!  Great knives for the money.  If you want a good tactical folder, besides the ones already mentioned (They are excellent choices BTW), check out the Onterio Rat 1 or Rat 2.  They are both in your price range and much better than either of the two you have picked out.  They are built like tanks!  I believe both are available at Walmart.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON8848/ontario-rat-model-1-folding-knife-satin-plain-blade-black-nylon-handles

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Knife-RAT-1-Knife-5in-Closed-5-inch-closed-linerlock-By-Ontario/558096508?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222113440023&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=75179174499651&wl4=pla-4578778744131362&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=558096508_10000011304&wl14=rat 1 knife&veh=sem&msclkid=98bb8201f67211b01530df67683c7398

I own a Mora Companion Robust that I carry when I hike.  Excellent knife at a fantastic price!!! 

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Stainless-4-1-Inch-Military/dp/B004ZAIXSC/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=78202832416785&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=mora+knives+robust&qid=1567006416&s=gateway&sr=8-8

• Admin Team

I don't really know what you mean by tactical - other than maybe black - but if I were looking to buy a sub $40 fixed blade - here are a couple that I wouldn't worry about dropping into the field with.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-SRK-Search-Rescue-Fixed--52053

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario-OKC-Spec-Plus-SP1-Marine--75466

If you were to double that budget - some nice ESEE, Boker, SOG and others come into the mix.

I've had good success with a CRKT M16-14(T)

Also have a tactical looking pocket knife from CRKT as well.

Investing in a good knife is similar to a good flashlight, holster, belt, pen, watch, etc.

Buy once, cry once, unless you're an unfortunate who loses small personal items.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

“Tactical” to me has become more a descriptor of aesthetics and form rather than function. 

In my view folders are good for general purpose pocket duty. If you’re after something capable of heavy work or high force applications then you want a fixed blade. 

Like anything else, determine your needs based on intended use, set a budget and work from there. 

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

“Tactical” to me has become more a descriptor of aesthetics and form rather than function. 

In my view folders are good for general purpose pocket duty. If you’re after something capable of heavy work or high force applications then you want a fixed blade. 

Pretty hard to hurt this thing. I carry it every day...

MyXMcropped3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Pretty hard to hurt this thing. I carry it every day...

MyXMcropped3.JPG

A quality knife is a quality knife, and a quality folder will handle real use and some abuse. Here’s my pocket folder. 

9NRk4Ly.jpg

It does very well from cutting steaks to hose lines or other bits for expedient repairs on the truck. Still, it wouldn’t be my first choice for batoning wood or separating bones from joints or punching through through more solid material. For that I’ll use one of the really sturdy fixed blades @Grand Torino made for me. 😬

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

A quality knife is a quality knife, and a quality folder will handle real use and some abuse. Here’s my pocket folder. 

9NRk4Ly.jpg

It does very well from cutting steaks to hose lines or other bits for expedient repairs on the truck. Still, it wouldn’t be my first choice for batoning wood or separating bones from joints or punching through through more solid material. For that I’ll use one of the really sturdy fixed blades @Grand Torino made for me. 😬

I'm not gonna carry a bowie knife :) . Google "broken Hinderer". I can't find one.

Edited by mikegideon
5 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I expect Rick’s stuff may be out of his price range, but a bunch of sweet skinny XM-18s just dropped.  

I’m waiting for some more Skinners. 

I have a slicer on my XM-24. That blue one is a plain ole spanto. Not a real good cutter, but about as unbreakable as a knife blade can be. I don't think you could break the frame either without tools. Rick does one thing really well... Tough.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I no longer have any of Rick's stuff.  I lost my last XM-18 skinner a couple of years ago.  They were great knives.  My EDC is now a Praetorian T.  Greg's quality used to be pretty crappy, but the badassery of his knives still made you want one.  Thankfully, his quality has improved tremendously.  I have had three Praetorians, a G, a Ti, and a T.  The G was too small and the Ti too big. The T was just about right for my taste.  The quality on all three were as good as any of my other knives.  They are still ridiculously overpriced, but good prices can be had on the secondary market.

20190902_145305.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mav said:

I no longer have any of Rick's stuff.  I lost my last XM-18 skinner a couple of years ago.  They were great knives.  My EDC is now a Praetorian T.  Greg's quality used to be pretty crappy, but the badassery of his knives still made you want one.  Thankfully, his quality has improved tremendously.  I have had three Praetorians, a G, a Ti, and a T.  The G was too small and the Ti too big. The T was just about right for my taste.  The quality on all three were as good as any of my other knives.  They are still ridiculously overpriced, but good prices can be had on the secondary market.

20190902_145305.jpg

I know you won't mess with one if you can't take down a small tree with it. :) 

• 2 months later...

I wish I'd never read this thread.

It got me to thinking about a big folder I sold a few years ago. Sold it for what I thought was an exorbitant price back in '08, £200.

I get to thinking I'd like to have another so I checked eBay.

Yeah.....Mick Strider XL Custom Monkey Edge. They're between $1300 & $2000 now *sickening facepalm*

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
16 hours ago, robtattoo said:

I wish I'd never read this thread.

It got me to thinking about a big folder I sold a few years ago. Sold it for what I thought was an exorbitant price back in '08, £200.

I get to thinking I'd like to have another so I checked eBay.

Yeah.....Mick Strider XL Custom Monkey Edge. They're between $1300 & $2000 now *sickening facepalm*

IMHO there isn't any knife worth that kind of money unless such things just blow your skirt up.

• Haha 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Yall should check out the Mark of the Maker podcast episodes that have Bob Terzuola.   Bob is one of the fathers of the "Tactical Knife" and he talks about what makes a knife tactical in that podcast.   Basically it boils down to one handed operation and concealability.   Prior to "tactical" folders, you had a lot of knives that required two handed opening or big fixed blades that weren't concealable.   Bob said you should have knives that you can carry without being seen but be able to open it if on a ladder.  

So those are really what makes a knife tactical.  Hidden from plain view but easy to operate with a single hand.   

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

Yall should check out the Mark of the Maker podcast episodes that have Bob Terzuola.   Bob is one of the fathers of the "Tactical Knife" and he talks about what makes a knife tactical in that podcast.   Basically it boils down to one handed operation and concealability.   Prior to "tactical" folders, you had a lot of knives that required two handed opening or big fixed blades that weren't concealable.   Bob said you should have knives that you can carry without being seen but be able to open it if on a ladder.  

So those are really what makes a knife tactical.  Hidden from plain view but easy to operate with a single hand.   

That description basically covers almost all modern pockets folders. Interesting. 

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

That description basically covers almost all modern pockets folders. Interesting. 

There are still a TON of slip joints and lock backs being made and sold these days.  They aren't the norm.   But the tactical folder market exploded in the late 90's, early 2000's.   The market is big enough for it.  But even a lot of the custom tactical folder guys are making slip joints regularly now.   The market is leveling off.  

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I love and enjoy all things “Tactical” in my edged weapon and firearms collections.  Having done this for over half a century, I realize that word is as highly personal to one’s specific tastes & preferences as many of life’s other complex choices.  For instance I prefer redheads and blondes but that is another discussion.  I think that a seriously important and all too often overlooked detail is the assumption that anything is made of good steel.  You can’t go wrong really getting to know steel.  I’ve collected, used, forged, misused, and abused most every kind of steel.  Today, I do not purchase an edged weapon that isn’t at least a D2 tool steel (CRKT Provoke is a really interesting take on tactical).  In the last year through this very week I am buying up everything that is made from cpm 3V.  If there is a steel that could take on ANYTHING- that would be it.

7EAD1E8B-7283-4801-B905-A3D63CC789B8.jpeg