He went shooting with his mom....

The cops did their job. It appears the school has a procedure it has to follow. (and that is the problem area)

This story was posted yesterday. The hearing was also yesterday. I don’t see any follow-up, so my WAG is that this was dropped.

It’s a shame though that schools can do that. Unfortunately we live in a time where the stuff you post on social media can get you suspended from school or fired from your job.

EDIT:

LOVELAND —A Loveland High School teen is back in class today after Thompson School District (TSD) officials apologized and cleared him of a report to “Safe2Tell,” claiming he made a threat on the school, that was actually a family outing at a shooting range.
https://pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2019/08/29/loveland-school-district-clears-student-of-any-wrong-doing-over-snapchat-of-guns-back-in-classes/

Edited by DaveTN
36 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

So, a false "Red flag" .......

35 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Yep....

If you think a video posted on SnapChat of a school kid showing several handguns that is titled “Finna be lit,” is a false Red Flag; then yes.

The Police investigated and determined there was no threat. No guns were seized and no action was taken by Law Enforcement. That is what is supposed to happen.

The problem here is the over reaction by the school. But that shouldn’t surprise anyone. We have seen schools suspend students for making a gesture of having a gun. The parents of all the students need to address what happened. Of course they won’t; they either don’t care or are too busy.

12 minutes ago, chances R said:

Colorado where weed is legal..........

Obviously the school board members were smoking dope and the cops weren’t.

Illinois just legalized weed. They won’t recognize our carry permits because they don’t think we check mental health close enough before issuing HCP’s. But they don’t think allowing stoners to run around high is dangerous. You can’t make this stuff up. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

I have never understood how making drugs legal and therefore cheaper and more available is supposed to improve things.  

It doesn’t make them cheaper and it doesn’t improve things. It costs more than illegal weed, and it will up the crime rate.

However at a 35% tax rate on an already “through the roof” pricing plan it will help the state. It will also allow the stoners to not have to worry about getting cuffed and stuffed for having weed. Next they will be crying about being picked on for DUI because you can’t hardly get that smell out of your car, and that is an obvious indicator.

The Governor of Illinois just asked for increases in a bunch of taxes; with the weed taxes about to come through in January. Pure greed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I have never understood how making drugs legal and therefore cheaper and more available is supposed to improve things.  

Has the war on drugs worked? Yes/no?

Answer-No. 

Legal weed is in fact cheaper than illegal weed. Prices in the legal states have plumetted thanks to competition. Capitalism is awesome! :)

These threads always show the people that actually love freedom and the ones that want government control.

DeerSlayer, not directing this at you specifically. But you can't simultaneously say that "banning drugs will keep people from getting them" while also saying "banning guns won't keep criminals from getting them." They are one in the same.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 7

Has the war on drugs worked?  I don't know, we have nothing to compare it to.

As far as banning drugs vs banning guns, I have no problem banning heroine/meth/cocaine etc.  They have no legitimate purpose, as opposed to guns. Weed is arguably useful medically, but lots of people suddenly develop medical problems when it becomes medically legal in their locale.  While cutting the grass earlier, I heard a commercial (for the first time) about how driving high is a DUI.  These PSAs have probably been playing in CO for a couple years.  Yes, people will get drugs whether legal or not, but making it a pain in the ass and/or legally treacherous doubtlessly cuts down on some of the stupidity.   

I was in CO last month.  Beautiful state, until we pulled into just about any city.  I saw more meth heads and junkies in CO Springs than I've ever seen in Shelby County.  Wonder what it was like before the MJ revolution.  

52 minutes ago, Garufa said:

It’s been going on for nearly 100 years now.  Remember Prohibition and how that turned out?  

No, I do not.  It's brief span was over several decades before I was born.  However, I don't see how widespread alcohol availability and consumption has improved life in America, except maybe helping ugly people find fornication partners.  

23 minutes ago, chances R said:

Some may laugh, but this is exactly what is occurring in Europe and other countries.  Lose the 2nd, and the others fall right behind it.

You don’t need to look overseas, that is happening in this country. It happens if you make violent threats and has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, chances R said:

Some may laugh, but this is exactly what is occurring in Europe and other countries.  Lose the 2nd, and the others fall right behind it.

Not laughing at all, serious problems ahead I believe....

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

You don’t need to look overseas, that is happening in this country. It happens if you make violent threats and has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment.

Dave, it’s true that police investigating violent threats has nothing to do with the second. That about the same relationship your comment has to ChancesR’s. 

In Europe folks are arrested and jailed for making “offensive” posts on social media. A YouTube comedian was arrested and fined for making his girlfriend’s dog do a Nazi salute because she would go on about how cute it was and Nazis aren’t cute. 

Freedom of speech is under a real and concerted attack by certain folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/30/2019 at 6:47 PM, Erik88 said:

Has the war on drugs worked? Yes/no?

Answer-No. 

Legal weed is in fact cheaper than illegal weed. Prices in the legal states have plumetted thanks to competition. Capitalism is awesome! :)

These threads always show the people that actually love freedom and the ones that want government control.

DeerSlayer, not directing this at you specifically. But you can't simultaneously say that "banning drugs will keep people from getting them" while also saying "banning guns won't keep criminals from getting them." They are one in the same.

I dunno if I’d say they’re one in the same or that it’s even an argument of freedom vs government control. Unless I missed the Constitutional Amendment that says you have the right to keep and smoke weed or the right to have a heroine needle shall not be infringed. 

Two different animals IMO. One gives us a right and means to protect against tyranny of government and is specifically addressed in the Constitution, the other induces an altered state of consciousness. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want a bunch of druggies wandering (or driving!) around.

• Like 1

The legal aspect is it's only legal in that state (state level law) , the Feds still look at it as illegal at the federal level.  The states are looking/wanting the tax revenue dollars, and maybe, just maybe they reduce one or more of the stats they keep so they can justify making it legal.  I wonder what the IRS does with those tax returns when the occupation line states "marijuana producer".   Why don't the Feds go bust 'em right then and there.  Bet the Feds don't return the FIT checks sent along with those federal tax returns either.  LOL

9 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want a bunch of druggies wandering (or driving!) around.

You not wanting it, doesnt stop it from happening. People are driving around drunk and high now. My argument is that just like gun laws, people are going to circumvent the drug laws. The war on drugs has failed. 

I watched a video a year or so ago where they interviewed some high ranking cop in Denver. He stated that crime has gone up(slightly) since they legalized weed, especially property crime. He was quick to point out that it wasn't the drug doing this. What happened was that all of society's rejects have flocked there. So if you think about it, these are people that were likely already committing crimes elsewhere and now they have relocated to one spot. If it were legal everywhere you wouldn't see this localized uptick in crime.

When TN legalized CBD last year I stopped by a store in West Knoxville. I was the only customer under 60 in the store. Some of the customers were in their 80's. They were buying something to help their various health issues. I guarantee that these people would love some legal weed. CBD is like non-alcoholic beer. And they are not the type to drive around stoned.

I have an uncle living in Seattle. He just retired from a successful career with Lochkeed Martin. He's a Trump supporting conservative, not a "druggie loser". He started vaping THC in the evenings and told my dad this is the first time he's had good sleep in a few decades.

The government has no business telling these people what they can do in the privacy of their homes. If they drive impaired then they should face stiff penalties just like drunk driving but to pretend this is more dangerous than alcohol is just not true.

The arguments against weed is that the sky will fall and drugs addicts will start raping and pillaging. This is an emotional based reaction that sounds just like the arguments we hear against guns.  Both are short on facts.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

The war on drugs has failed. 

That’s like saying the border wall has failed; so, we might as well take it down. The wrong people are in charge of the war on drugs; but they are doing pretty well with what they have to work with. Once they get out of the way and let the right people handle it; things will be much different.