Multiple Shootings Texas

AuEagle

38 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

I made a comment at the last carbine class I attended,

"It sucks to think I have to pack a long gun in my vehicle."

While evade / escape is high on my list of priorities, at least I may be in a position of a good guy with a bad gun to stop an active shooter.

May be as the foreground and background will probably include a herd of panicked sheep.

I bought an AR pistol to put in my trunk. I’ve now decided I need something with longer range capabilities. The two AR’s I have 15/10 are too expensive to do that with. I see new full-size AR’s at $500 or under though; that might work.

I have thought about this ever since the 2010 West Memphis police shootings. If I drove into something like that, I would like to be able to do something other than run or take cover and do nothing.

My AR10 would be the perfect trunk gun. But with nearly $2K in it and the scope; I would need to find something cheaper. I always said if my car was burglarized I would rather they take my handgun than my laptop; my handgun is cheaper and easier to replace. That’s not true of a quality large caliber rifle. :)

We live in different times.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I don't believe any of these are staged. We have over 320 million people in the US. It's not that hard to believe that we have this many evil assholes. 

If these keep happening at this rate I do fear more people will believe gun control is the solution. 

I agree, I don't believe they are staged either. I think many if not most of them are copycat's!! They see all the notority the shooter gets and a mentally ill person that has been un-noticed or feels left out most if not all of his life decideds to make the news so he copycats those that went before him. There is no way more gun control laws are going to stop these shootings. Like you mentioned above. There are 320+ million people in this country and there is little doubt 2/3 to 3/4 of them already own 5 or more guns if they never bought another one. How many of them are the mentally ill left behind soon to be a copycat? Laws keep folks like us legal and at the same time punish us for obeying the laws by trying to inflict more on us. I think the more laws they write the more it will push those with mental problems to react sooner rather than later...............JMHO 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chances R said:

Even with the frequency we hear of these acts, do you really think it is practical to keep a rifle handy for anything other than SD?  To set up for a shot, if you were able to, how will LEO react to you?  I think the thought is noble, but impractical.

Yes, its practical. I’m a former cop, I understand the potential consequences fully. Situational awareness is absolutely necessary. I’m not suggesting anyone jump into a firefight and get killed by the cops; that would be stupid. As someone who is trained and armed; standing by and doing nothing would not be an option for me. Unless of course my actions would cause a problem; that’s where a person’s training comes in. Someone that questions their abilities or training; should try to be a good witness.

• Like 1

I think Dave raised a great point about heroes in an earlier post. He brought up the often un mentioned heroes that the news seldom if ever mentions. The ambulances that many time rush into a scene while it is still active and begin picking up wounded to try and get them to the hospitals and save their lives. Then there are the nurses and doctors that are working frantically to stop the bleeding and see what they can do to save a persons life! Imagine what a hospitals first thoughts are when they hear active shooter report and they prepare for what ever comes threw the doors. I think the pressure not knowing what to expect would be overwhelming till the first arrivals came threw the doors!!!...............JMHO

46 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I bought an AR pistol to put in my trunk. I’ve now decided I need something with longer range capabilities. The two AR’s I have 15/10 are too expensive to do that with. I see new full-size AR’s at $500 or under though; that might work.

I have thought about this ever since the 2010 West Memphis police shootings. If I drove into something like that, I would like to be able to do something other than run or take cover and do nothing.

My AR10 would be the perfect trunk gun. But with nearly $2K in it and the scope; I would need to find something cheaper. I always said if my car was burglarized I would rather they take my handgun than my laptop; my handgun is cheaper and easier to replace. That’s not true of a quality large caliber rifle. :)

We live in different times.

Exactly the same for me

19 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I think Dave raised a great point about heroes in an earlier post. He brought up the often un mentioned heroes that the news seldom if ever mentions. The ambulances that many time rush into a scene while it is still active and begin picking up wounded to try and get them to the hospitals and save their lives. Then there are the nurses and doctors that are working frantically to stop the bleeding and see what they can do to save a persons life! Imagine what a hospitals first thoughts are when they hear active shooter report and they prepare for what ever comes threw the doors. I think the pressure not knowing what to expect would be overwhelming till the first arrivals came threw the doors!!!...............JMHO

What made me post that was watching the interviews of the hospital staff. Those are great people that were ready because they took their training seriously.

Another was the interview of a Doctor from an Urgent Care facility. He locked down his business to keep his patients safe and then him and a nurse went out and treated the victims. They were there when the shooter retuned and was driving by. They continued to work on a victim. They are hero’s. And I like to think most of us are like that.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What made me post that was watching the interviews of the hospital staff. Those are great people that were ready because they took their training seriously.

Another was the interview of a Doctor from an Urgent Care facility. He locked down his business to keep his patients safe and then him and a nurse went out and treated the victims. They were there when the shooter retuned and was driving by. They continued to work on a victim. They are hero’s. And I like to think most of us are like that.

I think more and more hospitals are going through that type of training these days and that is a good thing. A better thing would be to have the training and never need it but it seems these days it is needed more and more. I would not have expected a shooting like that to take place in a town like Midland and Odessa as there is not really a lot of populations in either town. I'm guess that the shooter did have a specific target in mind and the traffic stop interupted his plans. Had it not been for that traffic stop there may have been many more victums than there was............JMHO

49 minutes ago, chances R said:

So it turns out the shooter was a two-time convicted felon who also notified the FBI 20 minutes before the shooting of his intentions.  Does anyone, even a reasonable leftist (i know, oxymoron) that another law would prevent such atrocities? 

What was he convicted of? He told the FBI he was going to start shooting people?

They're reporting now that shooter failed a background check when trying to buy a gun so he went and bought one through a private transaction which, of course, does not require a background check.  Exactly the situation that the media and anti-gunners have been waiting for.  Media is  already sticking microphones in Republican politicians faces and asking when they are going to do something and institute MBCs.

3 minutes ago, i1afli said:

They're reporting now that shooter failed a background check when trying to buy a gun so he went and bought one through a private transaction which, of course, does not require a background check.  Exactly the situation that the media and anti-gunners have been waiting for.  Media is  already sticking microphones in Republican politicians faces and asking when they are going to do something and institute MBCs.

Oh geez. Here we go

12 hours ago, i1afli said:

12 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Oh geez. Here we go

I don’t know what is true. But most of the stories I have seen say that he was refused on a background check. But they don’t know why, he has been arrested, but nothing that would stop a gun purchase. 

I have been wrongfully refused on a background check and so have some others on here. That means nothing really. Unless they want to tell us why.

Most stories also say that he made no threats in his call to the FBI.

But YES! The anti-gunners NEED shooters that were turned down in a background check to have got a gun in a private sale. It justifies what they want to do. Unfortunately, the majority of Americans support requiring a BC on all gun sales. It’s going to happen, and if done by the FEDS it will have to go to the SCOTUS for an answer.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, i1afli said:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/03/report-midland-shooter-acquired-gun-privately-seller-may-face-charges/

The person who sold the gun to the Midland shooter may face “federal charges.” Such charges would depend on what the seller knew about the shooter, including knowledge of things such as the shooter’s mental condition and the fact the shooter had already failed a background check.

So, see, they have their mind made up even before they know what happened.

It reminds me of the guy that sold the gun to McNair’s girlfriend. They want to send the message that if you sell a gun to a convicted felon or a nut case; you are liable. But They don’t want to give us the ability to check that.

I don’t know how the law is applied in Texas, but here they would need to prove you knew to convict you. Unfortunately, they wouldn’t have to prove you knew to arrest you and send you to trial.

Ok, so someone explain to me the difference between a private sale between two people and a straw buyer that buys a gun for someone knowing that the person could not purchase the gun themselves. How would a back ground check prevent that from still taking place? I know that the gun could be traced back to the original purchaser but say for instance a person(straw buyer) buys a gun and 5 or 6 days later files a police report that the gun was stolen out of their vehicle the night before. Then the gun is used in a mass shooting and the shooter is killed in the shooting. The person that bought the gun but reported it being stolen to police is free and clear to purchase another gun. Right??? So how does a back ground check prevent that???? 

33 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Ok, so someone explain to me the difference between a private sale between two people and a straw buyer that buys a gun for someone knowing that the person could not purchase the gun themselves. How would a back ground check prevent that from still taking place? I know that the gun could be traced back to the original purchaser but say for instance a person(straw buyer) buys a gun and 5 or 6 days later files a police report that the gun was stolen out of their vehicle the night before. Then the gun is used in a mass shooting and the shooter is killed in the shooting. The person that bought the gun but reported it being stolen to police is free and clear to purchase another gun. Right??? So how does a back ground check prevent that???? 

It doesn’t and it won’t. A background check won’t keep a person that can legally buy a firearm from committing a felony by making a straw purchase.

The possibility of 10 years in prison and $250K in fines might make them think about it. You would probably do more time for an intentional straw purchase for a prohibited person that you would for armed robbery or possession of an ounce of Coke. They would want to make an example and show they are doing something.

Edited by DaveTN
16 hours ago, i1afli said:

How convenient.

They are now saying a court deemed him mentally unfit. Wonder what happened there? They will use this to push background checks and Red Flag laws both.

was federally banned from owning or buying firearms after a court previously ruled he was mentally unfit to do so, authorities said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-odessa-gunman-mentally-unfit-buy-firearms-gun-law-loophole-background-check

45 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

They are now saying a court deemed him mentally unfit. Wonder what happened there? They will use this to push background checks and Red Flag laws both.

If so, he shouldn't have been loose in public. Go after the judge who turned him loose; not guns.

• Like 3