UT vs GA State

Erik88

Are we not going to discuss this? They are saying this is the worst loss in many decades. 

By the end of the 3rd quarter I was pulling for GA St. I'm so over the vols. How can a program generate so much money and still be this terrible? Amazing.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Are we not going to discuss this? They are saying this is the worst loss in many decades. 

By the end of the 3rd quarter I was pulling for GA St. I'm so over the vols. How can a program generate so much money and still be this terrible? Amazing.

It HAS to be a monetary record of how much we spent ($950k) to get our a$$es handed to us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe UT needs to promote it's football program as the "season opener" patsy or "homecoming patsy", then the azz whoopin's wouldn't hurt so bad cause the program could generate funds for the contract payoff's UT still owes or will owe in the future.  

He's hoping he gets another chance at the head coaching spot, then when he has to fire himself for poor performance while still being AD, he'll get that separation clause monies on top of the AD salary.   Now that would be gaming the system wouldn't it.  

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

About 12 best I could count.:shrug:

Enough with football, help me get thhis damn truck running! (see other thread):D

Good luck with the truck, but I still have to comment on the GA-Vandy game .....  80-85% of the stadium WAS red.   Just like 80-85% will be purple when LSU plays there and 80-85%. USED to be orange when UT played there.  

About 40% of Vandy fans sold their tickets to GA fans and then will sell their tickets to LSU fans.  Profits will be enough to cover the entire season ticket cost.  The other 60% of Vandy fans will constantly show up just to see the game of football and to see ranked teams in person and talk with their fans.

Live for victory or die with defeat?  No, just to enjoy the game.

• Like 1

The UT faithful are going to have to be patient. The program has had zero consistency for nearly 10 years. It's going to take a long time to rebuild it. If Pruitt learned anything from Saban, he's seen how to do it.  They must choose a way forward and stick with it for at least 5 years. More major changes will make it worse, not better. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, peejman said:

The UT faithful are going to have to be patient. The program has had zero consistency for nearly 10 years. It's going to take a long time to rebuild it. If Pruitt learned anything from Saban, he's seen how to do it.  They must choose a way forward and stick with it for at least 5 years. More major changes will make it worse, not 

He won't have time to do what Saban did with the tide program. When UT 's big donors start complaining you better start packing your bags.

20 minutes ago, peejman said:

The UT faithful are going to have to be patient. The program has had zero consistency for nearly 10 years. It's going to take a long time to rebuild it. If Pruitt learned anything from Saban, he's seen how to do it.  They must choose a way forward and stick with it for at least 5 years. More major changes will make it worse, not better. 

This UT Alum and dedicated Vol fan has heard plenty of this “rebuilding” and “inexperience” talk over the last 20 years.

I do know that constantly rotating coaches is not the solution, nor is rotating players and not being fully prepared for EVERY game, regardless of the opponent or spread.

The Boys got their asses handed to them plain and simple.

The donors are no help either.  They all remember 1998 like everyone else.  That was a fluke of a season when all the stars and planets aligned.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 5

I remember the '98 season as well, it was a good year for sure.  I just wish UT would be competitive in the SEC and contend for the SEC East title on a regular basis, and make it to the conference title game on a regular basis.  Recent history has not shown anything close to that.

I suppose it’s safe to say I fall squarely into the UT unfaithful category at this point. As a UT grad it’s sad to say the product they’ve put on the field hasn’t been worth my time, money or attention for over a decade. While I can’t speak to the amount invested in the new athletic facility (or other athletic related capital improvements), UT has clearly gone on the cheap for football coaches. Kiffin (no buyout, fired from Raiders, unproven head coach), Dooley (stolen from LA Tech 🙄 horrible record at a non-FBS program, little, if any, buyout), Jones (a modicum level of success at the mid-major level, low buyout) and Pruitt (no buyout, no collegiate head coaching expertise, umteenth choice). I fail to understand why UT continues to hire coaches on the cheap. A program that fancies itself as a title contender should pay the freight and hire proven head coaches. Otherwise you’re grasping at straws hoping you get lucky and hire the next best unproven commodity. Not worth the risk in my opinion particularly when you’ve fallen a few rungs from top tier already. The losses in ticket revenue and concessions could more than easily justify luring to top tier proven head coach...

I'm a Clemson guy and while they're riding high now, 1981 was a  very long time ago, a lot longer than 1998.  Clemson through the 90's was like UT is now. I see lots of similarities... a series of terrible coaches, lots of unrest in the fan base. 

It certainly seems Pruitt needs some work on motivating the kids.  They looked like they didn't really want to be there and didn't take GA St. seriously.  In contrast those GA St kids smelled blood in the water in the 1st qtr and their coach kept them fired up for the upset of their career.  

It doesn't help that UT is in the toughest conference in the country.  It's going to take several years of consistency to even begin to recruit better than average talent, and those kids need to be developed as team leaders.  Peer pressure is a much more effective motivator than a coach barking orders.