Frog lube

Anyone use FrogLube? I have been using it for a while with no problems until this weekend. I was shooting my AR and it ran fine but the trigger didn’t feel right and the gun in general felt sluggish. My 308 bolt action seemed a little rough. When i started cleaning them the FrogLube had gummed up in the lower and the BCG on my AR. Needless to say I spent the rest of the day scrubbing the stuff out. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

1 hour ago, swiley383 said:

Anyone use FrogLube? I have been using it for a while with no problems until this weekend. I was shooting my AR and it ran fine but the trigger didn’t feel right and the gun in general felt sluggish. My 308 bolt action seemed a little rough. When i started cleaning them the FrogLube had gummed up in the lower and the BCG on my AR. Needless to say I spent the rest of the day scrubbing the stuff out. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I haven’t seen it from Frog lube, but I’ve seen it plenty (not just guns) from WD40.

I’m always amused at the lube threads. All this high end "new" stuff and guess who never has problems? The guys using regular old school gun oil or even motor oil. :)

• Like 1

What’s one of the hardest things to test on any lube? Time. (I want to use time tested products)

Do you have a problem with the lube you are using? (If it ain’t broke; don’t fix it)

If your weapon isn’t operating properly is it lube related?

Don’t be a test dummy.

22 hours ago, swiley383 said:

I had the same problem. Read the ad, looked like the best thing since self rising flour.

Carried my AR to do some target shooting sometime later after lubing. Ran very sluggish, barely function. Had one heck of a time cleaning the gun(s).

Lesson learned. Stay the heck away from it.

I use Frog Lube on my hand planes (woodworking) to prevent rust.  It leaves a waxy film on them which is fine on a hand plane or similar tool.  Don't use it on anything that moves, screw threads, bolt slides, etc.  Never on guns.  I have been using Go Juice oil and grease and it is doing what I want it to do.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years back (2012-ish) when it seemed Frog Lube was the coming of the Messiah, I stripped down a few older handguns and went all-in on the newest and bestest.  Several months later, sluggishness. In fact, one pistol would only fire once before the sluggishness prevented the slide from recoiling back into battery.  That stuff all turned to bubble-gum, essentially.  

Couldn't just field-strip and clean. Nope, had to have a Gunsmith break them all down and *completely* get that gunk out of 6 guns - at $50 apiece for those of you keeping score at home :(. From then on I only use CLP and Hoppe's.

Edited by CrosbyStills
  • 4 months later...

Frog Lube is nothing but mint scented, rebranded roller coaster track lubricant. It is bio degradable so as not to contaminate the ground under the tracks at amusement parks. I do not and will not use anything bio degradable on my firearms. Bio degradable means it starts to decompose as soon as you apply it. Which is the reason guns stored with this crap over any length of time will gum up and lock up.

It's much the same with wheel flange grease the railroads use. They do not want to contaminate the ground along the right of way. So it is bio degradable as well. The railroads who use it claim it completely breaks down within 60 days after being exposed to the elements. Frog Lube, Fireclean, (which is nothing but Canola Oil), will do much the same.

Frog Lube had everyone B.S'd for a while. With all of their ridiculous, time consuming application methods, requiring using hair dryers, along with all of their other nonsense. Slowly but surely people are seeing this worthless crap for what it is. My guns receive nothing but petroleum based lubricants. I'll put organic oil in my salad..... Not on my weapons.

My experience is the same as previous posters...essentially a gimmick.  I use hornady clean and lube, mobil 1, and shooter's choice grease (very limited).  Pistols, rifles, and shotguns, very pleased without failures regardless of weather.  The hornady is one of the best rust protectants as well.

3 hours ago, BHunted said:

Not defending the stuff and not a fan but it says not to put it on like oil. Heat the gun if it's metal, wipe on, let sit then wipe excess off. Wipe everything loose off.

the inside of the slide in the corners the wax can collect, there are other areas that liquids can pool. Stuff is worthless IMO

• Like 2