Upgrade time - Hornady LNL AP

Several years ago I upgraded from a RCBS turret press, and ended up with a Dillon SDB for pistol rounds and stuck with the Rockchucker for rifle. I think it is time to upgrade again and the Hornady LNL AP progressive seems ideal. I have a good process but reloading "bulk" 5.56 on a single stage is time consuming.

I won't use a bullet or case feeder, will feed both in by hand but one benefit is the Hornady would all be left hand vs the Dillon right/left sequence. I have dies already for each caliber and most are in the Hornady bushing (used in the Rockchucker) and an extra Hornady powder measure (along with extra inserts for quick changeover). 

My plan would be to reload 9mm (primary), .45ACP, .223 (primary), 6.8SPC (maybe, don't shoot a lot of it), and possibly some basic .308 rounds (although I intend to leave .308 on the Rockchucker even though I realize a progressive press is capable of match quality ammo).

I have read quite a few reviews and other threads on this press, along with the inevitable "just buy a Dillon!" comments, but interested in what some local folks think of the Hornady.

I think my reloading process for handgun would remain basically the same: size/deprime in station 1, prime, powder through expander in station 2, powder check in station 3 (new vs the Dillon SDB), seat in station 4, crimp in station 5 (probably a Lee factory crimp die).

Rifle would need to be figured out, since it requires more prep work. I think maybe size/deprime on the single stage and run through the tumbler to remove lube and process primer pockets / trim as needed. Then on the progressive place an universal decapper in station 1 to remove any stuck media (but not really needed), prime, powder in station 2, powder check in station 3 as a backup to my manual check, and bullet seating in station 4. I don't (currently) crimp rifle rounds but that could possibly go in station 5 otherwise it would remain empty.

Anything you wish you had known before buying? Anything specific I should consider adding to improve the process? Adding on press trimming isn't a consideration either so I think this process is pretty much it.

I have had one for several years with many thousands of rounds and no problems except for one:  the priming station.  When new and properly adjusted, it worked great.   There is a black angled piece that holds the primer feed cam in place.  I have had to replace that piece 3 times  as it slowly bends out of shape and/or breaks.  I finally gave up and bought the Hornady Handheld Priming Tool that I prefer to use.  This press uses the quick insert die bushings.  I use only the ones which came with the press.  I didn't feel the need to buy a separate bushing for each die.  I leave the dies in the press and screw each die into place when being used.  Once the dies are set and the lock rings locked on place, the dies seat to the same height each time.  Overall, I am quite satisfied with the press.  In fairness I can not compare it to any other progressive press as this is the only one I have used.  I used a Rockchucker for years and still use for some of the more strenuous activities of case forming and full length resizing.  When I decided to go progressive the Hornady was within my budget.  I have read many favorable reviews about Dillon, but couldn't afford one.

• Like 1

I have one I planned to use to do a lot of what you outline, I just never ended up actually doing it.  I now shoot rimfire benchrest and never shoot much centerfire or pistol at all.  If you decide to go forward with the LNL, I have a full setup, including case feeder I will make you a super deal on.  It hasn't been hardly used and I don't foresee using it and I hate to see it just sit.  

I had it listed here before with all of the accessories.  I think I have a list somewhere.  PM me if you decide you may be interested.  I am just in Chapel Hill so you can come take a look at it anytime if you want.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I've had a LNL Progressive press for several years.  I bought it used from someone on this forum.  Prior to that I reloaded rifle & pistol ammo on a single stage press for about 20 years.

The LNL Progressive has worked great for me.  I load pistol ammo (primarily 9mm & 45ACP, but also some 45 Colt) similarly to what you outline above.  I use it for throwing powder, bullet seating, and crimping on a separate station (if I crimp them) for rifle rounds(5.56, .308, 6.8SPC, 30/06, 7mm Rem Mag, 7.62x39 and probably others I'm forgetting).  I do rifle brass prep separately (varies depending on caliber/use) and prime with an RCBS Auto Priming tool. I use a Giraud for rifle case trimming - hurt to pay for it, but it is a huge improvement for trimming large batches of cases.

The only things I've added to the press are a lighting kit, double bullet tray, and roller lever from Inline Fabrication:

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-ergo-roller-lever

None of those are required, but nice to have. The roller lever is much more comfortable for me that the original Hornady lever.

• Like 1

The LNL is a good press.  My biggest source of frustration with the thing has been the case feeder, which it sounds like will not be a concern for you.

The primer pocket swager for the LNL is awesome.  It loses points for versatility since it will only swage one caliber, but you can definitely take care of a bunch of 5.56 brass in a hurry. 

New press is all setup and cranking out some 55gr FMJ loads tonight. I already had several hundred pieces of primed brass so this was great to get a feel for the new press.

I have a LED light kit on the way already, KMS Ufo light for better visibility. It will be most helpful with handgun rounds as peering into small rifle brass is difficult anyways.

Also already want to buy the Inline Fabrication improved output catch bracket, as the catch bracket with the press is fairly flimsy. Fully serviceable, just flimsy.

IMG_20190913_180006.jpg

• Like 2