Walmart to stop selling .223, 5.56 and handgun ammo

I hate to see stores have to choose sides. I wonder if this is because of the shootings or because of on-line ammo sales. Walmart was always a convenient place to buy range ammo, but I guess I’ll just have to plan ahead.

This has the potential to impact the sign laws and the open carry guys.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-to-stop-alaska-handgun-sales-end-sales-of-short-barrel-rifle-and-handgun-ammo-nationwide

Walmart is set to end sales of handguns in Alaska and will discontinue the sale of short-barrel rifle and handgun ammunition in stores nationwide, the super chain's president and CEO announced Tuesday afternoon.

The store said it will gear its focus toward long barrel deer rifles and shotguns, supply much of the ammunition they require and provide hunting and sporting accessories and apparel, Doug McMillon wrote in a memo.

"We have a long heritage as a company of serving responsible hunters and sportsmen and women, and we're going to continue doing so," McMillon said.

Walmart also asked that customers no longer openly carry firearms into their stores or Sam’s Clubs in states where open carry is permitted unless authorized by law enforcement. The chain also called for enhanced background checks.

“We encourage our nation’s leaders to move forward and strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger,” the statement said.

The announcement comes just days after a mass shooting claimed seven lives in Odessa, Texas and follows two other back-to-back shootings last month, one of them at a Walmart store.

9 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

The biggest supplier/retailer stops selling, like I said in my previous post.

Prices & availability will be affected, again, I hope I'm wrong.

Wal-Mart is probably one of the biggest single purchasers of ammo. All that Winchester White Box ammo will be stacking up somewhere. This should cause prices to fall, but only after the gun community is done with its self-imposed melt down and panic attack.

Everyone is going out today to Walmart.

4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Wal-Mart is probably one of the biggest single purchasers of ammo. All that Winchester White Box ammo will be stacking up somewhere. This should cause prices to fall, but only after the gun community is done with its self-imposed melt down and panic attack.

Why is everyone going to walmart today?  Are they marking down the prices?

I hope you're right about prices falling, guess we'll have to wait & see.

• Admin Team
4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I remember a conversation at one point with a friend who works for a Fortune 50 company, talking about their relationship with Walmart.

He said that, "Walmart is by far our single biggest, and our most important customer. But flip that around - and to them, we're nothing - one of thousands and thousands - nothing more."

Up in Bentonville, they're not losing a lot of sleep about how the folks at Olin are feeling about their decision.

Because unfortunately, there's no real downside for Walmart.  You're likely to continue to shop there. That's because in your small town, they know good and well that they've run about every viable competitor out of business.  If they decide to reverse course, the manufacturers will trip over themselves to get back on the shelves.

• Like 7

Did anyone catch the part about them banning open carry too? I really feel like this is Wal-Mart doing something just to appease the masses. They are still selling guns and some types of ammunition. Now they can say the "did something" without taking it all the way. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Did anyone catch the part about them banning open carry too? I really feel like this is Wal-Mart doing something just to appease the masses. They are still selling guns and some types of ammunition. Now they can say the "did something" without taking it all the way. 

Your optimism is a little out too optimistic. They are taking real and concrete actions on their part that will have a negative effect for us. They don’t have to do anything, but they are choosing to do some things that I think are bigger than they may appear at first. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Your optimism is a little out too optimistic. They are taking real and concrete actions on their part that will have a negative effect for us. They don’t have to do anything, but they are choosing to do some things that I think are bigger than they may appear at first. 

Oh I agree it's concerning.  It's part of a larger culture war taking place against gun ownership. 

• Admin Team

A lot of small gun stores are having cake this afternoon.

Academy and other mass market retailers are only around major metros.  

Supply just got a lot tighter - demand is likely to get tighter.  I'll be interested to see what availability and pricing look like in a few months.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, hammerdrop99 said:

As reported on cnbc.com today:

Walmart said Tuesday it will discontinue all sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition that can be used with military style weapons, discontinue sales of handgun ammunition and stop all handgun sales in Alaska, following two “horrific” shootings at Walmart stores this summer.

An early Christmas present to online retailers and every local  gunstore in the country.  I have not bought ammo at Walmart in years. 

• Like 4
  • Admin Team
1 minute ago, kentmck said:

An early Christmas present to online retailers and every local  gunstore in the country.  I have not bought ammo at Walmart in years. 

It might be an early present to local shops.

I doubt it works to the favor of the average buyer, though.

• Like 3