Walmart to stop selling .223, 5.56 and handgun ammo

2 hours ago, Raoul said:

Let me just say, sometimes price isn't everything. Seems to me we've put a lot of trust in Wally, that will always bite you in the ass.

During the 0bama years WM was one of the more reliable retailers. Back then everyone would stop at any WM to see if there was any ammo available, buy the limit, usually 3 boxes of any caliber so if they/we didn't need it someone else always did. When small gun shops did get ammo it was usually twice the price of WM, naturally they had to buy from smaller distributors.

WM has really hit the skids, been a few years since we've shopped there, do get propane tanks there. Wife won't go there.

Old Sam must be spinnin in his grave.

• Like 1

May sound silly...but my WW purchases are usually centered around the magazine section and the sale dvds.

They have consistently been the best local place for me to get The Official John Wayne Magazine for my wife. 

That and the cheap 3 buck dvds that sometimes have a gem of some sort in the piles.

Oh, and the Tropical Mango Gatorade. Hard to find flavor that I'm addicted to. lol

Yeah, I was telling my wife that I could live without Walmart. That I hated to be a one issue person, but it mattered a lot to me.

Her response was something along the lines of "You can stop going, but it won't make a difference. You're just a little guy and they are a huge corporate entity. They won't miss you at all."

That may be true, I said. But it's a matter of principal for me. I can't willingly support an organization that goes against my position. Others will, I think, feel the same.

It may or may not be a Dick's sort of catastrophy, but it will show the world that the little guys can have an effect.

The worst part...where will the newbies make their first cc walk? The WW walk has been a milestone in the introduction to concealed carry. I'm gonna miss telling someone to do it. 

• Like 5

Well damn, I usually shop WM for my work meals and coffee supplies.  I guess I'll just have to stock up elsewhere.   And to think I was about to order some trailer tires from their website.  I guess I'll just have to order directly from the 3rd party, or Amazon, though they are a bit more expensive, at least I'll get my money's worth out of prime.

27 minutes ago, hipower said:

.....Her response was something along the lines of "You can stop going, but it won't make a difference. You're just a little guy and they are a huge corporate entity. They won't miss you at all."

That may be true, I said. But it's a matter of principal for me. I can't willingly support an organization that goes against my position. Others will, I think, feel the same.

It may or may not be a Dick's sort of catastrophy, but it will show the world that the little guys can have an effect.....

My wife was overjoyed!

I hope there is a good number who share the sentiment, but more importantly a high enough percentage of them with resolve to keep it up. I am sure in the near term it will be a bit, but I'd expect many will give that up at times when they need something or want for less.

The fact that WM dropped AR's a few short years ago without anyone even blinking, while Dicks got hammered for doing the same exact thing suggests its easy enough to snow most pro 2A folks if you simply make up some lies about it. At the time, WM claimed it was due to lack of demand (during Obama and record sales...what??), where as Dicks didn't fib about the why.

On top that little blast from the past, with McMillon coming out anti 2A, it should make it clear where they have really been the entire time of his leadership. Which in my book, makes them worse than Dicks as they have been playing the long game while lying, just like the Democrats have been.

At least Dicks was honest about being weenies 😛

• Like 5

I wonder if you could order stuff to be picked up at wallys and not pick it up, haven't ever done that. Do you have to pre pay for it? If not order a bunch of different items that would require people from all over the store to pull the items and then don't go pick them up. If they ask, tell them why, was wanting to buy about $500 in ammo, but your CEO decided not to sell it.

• Like 1

You have to ask yourself where this will end...and right now I'm not liking the possible answer.  When a major retailer based in the south, focused on southern markets feels secure enough to make this move without much outward prompting, that's a sign. 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I wonder if you could order stuff to be picked up at wallys and not pick it up, haven't ever done that. Do you have to pre pay for it? If not order a bunch of different items that would require people from all over the store to pull the items and then don't go pick them up. If they ask, tell them why, was wanting to buy about $500 in ammo, but your CEO decided not to sell it.

That just makes life suck for the employees.... Corporate would not give a f*ck

• Like 5
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Exactly this. ⬇️

29 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

That just makes life suck for the employees.... Corporate would not give a f*ck

No sense being a dick to employees who have no input or control over a policy that will likely negatively affect them as well. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Erich said:

My wife was overjoyed!

I hope there is a good number who share the sentiment, but more importantly a high enough percentage of them with resolve to keep it up. I am sure in the near term it will be a bit, but I'd expect many will give that up at times when they need something or want for less.

The fact that WM dropped AR's a few short years ago without anyone even blinking, while Dicks got hammered for doing the same exact thing suggests its easy enough to snow most pro 2A folks if you simply make up some lies about it. At the time, WM claimed it was due to lack of demand (during Obama and record sales...what??), where as Dicks didn't fib about the why.

On top that little blast from the past, with McMillon coming out anti 2A, it should make it clear where they have really been the entire time of his leadership. Which in my book, makes them worse than Dicks as they have been playing the long game while lying, just like the Democrats have been.

At least Dicks was honest about being weenies 😛

The difference, for me, is that I have no beef with a store that decides to stop selling something, what they stock on their shelves is their business, decides to change their carry policy/rules or what their CEOs personally think or give money to.  But when they actively join anti-gun organizations (Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety), hire lobbyists (Dicks),  stop making loans to just gun companies (Bank of America) then they are actively fighting against my 2A rights and do not deserve my support.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Omega said:

The difference, for me, is that I have no beef with a store that decides to stop selling something, what they stock on their shelves is their business, decides to change their carry policy/rules or what their CEOs personally think or give money to.  But when they actively join anti-gun organizations .....

I generally prescribe to that philosophy, let live and live. The only caveat I'll add to that is pulling support should be considered at lower thresholds than full anti-gun support, and even outside guns, to other freedoms that get infringed.

Consider smart companies do not typically express politics, or do it in subtle or small ways under the radar to avoid alienating customer bases.

We are unfortunately put into the position of being a little hypocritical at times, when we see it, but let the lower level stuff go. Probably more so on non gun issues.

FWIW, the Walmart CEO has been tipping his hand since he took the reigns with the AR removal, when the sales lie (his smarter underling claimed to the press) was outed when he used that same line back then about supporting "hunters and sports shooters" and no need for 'military style weapons'.   We all know that is hard core liberal anti 2A phrasing, just like 'common sense laws".  I avoided them for a few years, then became a hypocrite myself when I stopped in their a couple times in the last year after we moved here.   

• Like 3

Erich, it's hard not to slip. I wrote out my shopping list for this afternoon's trip...and found myself mentally planning the route that would end at the nearby WM. 

I stopped and looked at my list and thought just how ingrained a site, a store, anything can become.

It will take a conscious effort from me, but I sure will try.

Now where am I going to get those high sugar donuts that I crave so much?

Edited by hipower