Kroger Now Asking Customer Not to Open Carry

Garufa

I really don't mind if a store asks people to not "open" carry. All they are asking us to do is cover them up, not leave them outside. We as gun owners need to respect those (other customers) that are not comfortable with guns. I know several people that just don't like them but they also don't think they need to keep others from owning them. It's simply not there thing and the more we try to force our views on those in the middle of the issue we simply push them further to the other side. 

I have to admit that when I see people open carry in public or even not make much of an effort to conceal their gun, I wonder what kind of a fool is this and who is he trying to impress. Sorry if that offends anyone but that's just how I see it. I truly believe more harm than good comes from that kind of behavior.

• Like 4

Is there any chance that these stores are afraid of the coming liability.  Some enterprising attorneys file huge lawsuits against these big companies for not protecting their customers.  Whether it's right or wrong they have very deep pockets.?  If they stop selling guns and ammo they will be in a better position to fight these lawsuits?

Morgan88

@ Morgan88 - I haven't seen any successful lawsuits where a person is killed by a lunatic with a firearm, the deceased victim's next of kin brings action against the retailer where the lunatic purchased the ammo, and that plaintiff recovered money damages in a jury trial.   

Frankly I don't think any plaintiff wins that kind of suit, because the retailer didn't do anything reprehensible by selling the ammo.  Stated differently, selling the ammo was not the proximate cause of the murder.

11 hours ago, Wheelgunner said:

@ Morgan88 - I haven't seen any successful lawsuits where a person is killed by a lunatic with a firearm, the deceased victim's next of kin brings action against the retailer where the lunatic purchased the ammo, and that plaintiff recovered money damages in a jury trial.   

Frankly I don't think any plaintiff wins that kind of suit, because the retailer didn't do anything reprehensible by selling the ammo.  Stated differently, selling the ammo was not the proximate cause of the murder.

How many lawsuits have there been go to trial? How many lawsuits have been settled out of court with neither side being allowed to comment on the settlement?

On 9/4/2019 at 8:33 PM, deerslayer said:

But why does Kroger have to pick a side?

They don’t have to pick a side. But The first of the El Paso lawsuits has been filed against Wal-Mart; A lawsuit was filed against Kroger last month. So why wouldn’t they? Has any gun groups offered to help or take up collections for legal costs? My guess is no.

Neither me nor any of these stores have an issue with me shopping there while I’m armed. That must be the case because no one has ever said anything to me. But I’m supposed to boycott them because they are asking people not to open carry? As I said before I smile when I see these people open carrying; they are sacrificial lambs that buy me time to respond. I don’t hate them; but right now, they are putting the privilege my state has sold to me at risk.

Is this even an issue? I rarely see anyone open carrying.

And let’s be honest. Does anyone think a boycott by gun owners will work, or that gun owners will even participate? It may make an individual feel better, and that’s fine; but it will have zero impact on the store. They won’t miss you.

I remember when Cheaper Than Dirt jacked their ammo prices through the roof during a shortage. Why, the gun community was outraged. Never again would anyone buy anything from CTD. CTD is still around, doing fine I would guess, and plenty of people that were around then buying from them. So people are going to turn down cheap stuff at Walmart or the best price or quality of Groceries at Kroger? Please.

I know the NRA is too busy right now, either trying to save themselves or committing suicide; not sure which. But one of the national gun groups needs to step up and start a fund to pay the legal costs for Walmart and Kroger to defend themselves in these latest lawsuits. I’d donate, I don’t shop at Walmart, but my wife shops at Kroger and that won’t change.

Dave

This seems to be sorta funny at first and then maybe more true than I'd like.  I know the NRA is too busy right now, either trying to save themselves or committing suicide.  Is the NRA "on their heels"  and afraid or too busy to stand strong when they should? Would Walmart or Kroger accept the NRA standing with them?

Morgan88

59 minutes ago, Morgan88 said:

Dave

This seems to be sorta funny at first and then maybe more true than I'd like.  I know the NRA is too busy right now, either trying to save themselves or committing suicide.  Is the NRA "on their heels"  and afraid or too busy to stand strong when they should? Would Walmart or Kroger accept the NRA standing with them?

Morgan88

Walmart and Kroger are businesses; they don’t really have a dog in this fight; other than being sued for people getting shot in their stores. They both have tried to stay out of it by saying they would go by whatever the local law is. But now going by whatever the local law is; doesn’t give them any immunity from the lawsuits. And that is wrong.

I have no idea who they would or wouldn’t accept help from. I just know that it is wrong to boycott a business for not recognizing a right that our own state doesn’t recognize. Common sense tells me that. These stores are not the bad guys in this and when we make them out to be; everyone loses.

6 hours ago, DaveTN said:

They don’t have to pick a side. But The first of the El Paso lawsuits has been filed against Wal-Mart; A lawsuit was filed against Kroger last month. So why wouldn’t they? Has any gun groups offered to help or take up collections for legal costs? My guess is no.

I haven’t heard about the Kroger lawsuit.  What's that all about?

Edited by deerslayer

I still don't see the logic in Kroger's move, but logic is so 80s nowadays.  What does OC have to do with a madman shooting someone inside their store and out in their parking lot?  I don't have a problem with Kroger barring OCers, but their timing smells.  I would not boycott Kroger just because they banned OC, but I would consider boycotting them if they banned OC as a knee-jerk reaction to a non-OC related shooting at a Wal-Mart.  But good luck to anyone hoping to boycott Kroger in the Memphis area--there aren't many alternatives.  

Regarding the lawsuit, they are suing them in part because Kroger "had no policy in place to prevent the shooting."  

SERIOUSLY??

Edited by deerslayer

Dave,

When Walmart made the announcement that they were stopping selling certain ammo and pistols.  I thought, “Big deal. I don’t care.”  They have the right to choose what they sell.  Then I read about them asking customer’s not to open carry.  While that doesn’t mean anything in Tennessee because you need a handgun carry permit to carry open or concealed, there are a lot of states where they have constitutional carry.  So it does directly affect legal carry in other states.  Furthermore, Walmart is working on distributing new signage so in TN, it’ll likely be a legal requirement to restrict open carry in their stores.  What really pushed me over the line is finding out that, “Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety.” 

References:

https://corporate.walmart.com/policies
https://www.grnewsletters.com/archive/tfa/TFA-Walmart-announces-partnership-with-Evertown-for-Gun-Safety-and-Michael-Bloomberg-675227801.html

'Everytown for Gun Safety' was founded by Michael Bloomberg and has a subsidiary ‘Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America’.  Do you really want any of your money going to them?

If everyone takes the attitudes:

• It won’t matter.
  • It’d cost too much to shop elsewhere.
  • It’s too convenient.

Then you are right, it won’t matter.  But if enough firearms owners make a stand and vote with their wallet, then it will make a difference in Walmart’s bottom line.  I choose not to support businesses that by their actions (or support of other groups) that are anti-second amendment.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I still don't see the logic in Kroger's move, but logic is so 80s nowadays.  What does OC have to do with a madman shooting someone inside their store and out in their parking lot?  I don't have a problem with Kroger barring OCers, but their timing smells.

I agree about the timing.  Perhaps "Everytown" has something to do with it, or Kroger may have just been waiting for someone else to "lead the way" (i.e. Walmart). 

What I see as a possible reason is to give them "cover" to engage anyone they see carrying a gun that they deem as suspicious in any way.  Without such a policy, they may feel it's too risky from a PR perspective to confront anyone before they become an obvious threat.  Practically, I don't think such a policy change will do any good, but I am not sure if the people making that decision would know that.

I turned in my Sam's membership (and they offered a full refund vs prorated).

I haven't been back to Kroger and will never go back to Walmart unless an emergency either.   I've found an alternative pharmacy to avoid walgreens (and CVS which i didn't use before).

Yes, it may cost more and I'll have to change my shopping destinations slightly.   But i ask, if not now, at what point do you draw the line in who you fund?  Serious question.  If not now, what event, stance, position, or political action will ever cause you to stop funding these folks who seek to fundamentally change America?

Bottom line, they are all a private business and have the right to post.  I am happy they are simply posting for CC only.... could have been much worse.  OC is not a preventative tactic, in fact it is ignorant and reckless and sets up an opportunity for someone to steal and or shoot a place up.  What I am opposed to is the political posturing of these companies.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

I turned in my Sam's membership (and they offered a full refund vs prorated).

I haven't been back to Kroger and will never go back to Walmart unless an emergency either.   I've found an alternative pharmacy to avoid walgreens (and CVS which i didn't use before).

Yes, it may cost more and I'll have to change my shopping destinations slightly.   But i ask, if not now, at what point do you draw the line in who you fund?  Serious question.  If not now, what event, stance, position, or political action will ever cause you to stop funding these folks who seek to fundamentally change America?

Better add Aldi to your list: https://www.wsmv.com/news/aldi-joins-growing-list-of-companies-asking-customers-not-to/article_e5720058-d3c2-11e9-adba-8f30739fc150.html