She finally came in...my new RIA 1911

My Rock Island pistol finally arrived last week. Took her to the range and fed a few rounds through it. I had no FTEs or FTFs in 100 rounds. The stock magazine worked good. I also bought a WC magazine just in case the stock mag had issues. This is my first .45. One day I hope to get an American made 1911 but for now this is good for me. It is the Ultra FS series.

spacer.png

• Like 8
56 minutes ago, lock n' load said:

My Rock Island pistol finally arrived last week. Took her to the range and fed a few rounds through it. I had no FTEs or FTFs in 100 rounds. The stock magazine worked good. I also bought a WC magazine just in case the stock mag had issues. This is my first .45. One day I hope to get an American made 1911 but for now this is good for me. It is the Ultra FS series.

spacer.png

Congrats on your purchase, and having the wisdom to get a 1911!

RIA pistols have been getting better and better over the last decade. From a bottom-of-the-barrel product...they have become a staple in the 1911 market. From entry level models like the GI, to the Ultras and other decked out models, they are fine pistols. 

I've owned several Rocks, both 45 and 9mm. All have functioned well and are far capable of surpassing my meager shooting abilities.

Plus, they are just darn fun to shoot!

PS...you will be buying more 1911s. I can guarantee it. lol 

Congrats on your purchase!  About three years ago, I sold off my last 1911 and went with a more modern design SA XDs .45.  But I starting to get a hankering for another 1911. I just want a GI edition. Really looking hard at the Tisas U.S. Army 1911a1, because it looks like an exact copy of what I carried in the service. Not looking for a carry gun, but more of a range toy.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, Moped said:

Congrats on your purchase!  About three years ago, I sold off my last 1911 and went with a more modern design SA XDs .45.  But I starting to get a hankering for another 1911. I just want a GI edition. Really looking hard at the Tisas U.S. Army 1911a1, because it looks like an exact copy of what I carried in the service. Not looking for a carry gun, but more of a range toy.

I have  a Glock and Taurus polymer pistols but wanted a 1911 also. There's just something that about the 1911 that screams "America" to it. Granted my 1911 was made in the Philippines but I will eventually own an American made 1911. My choices would be Remington, Springfield or Colt. Any suggestions? 

Edited by lock n' load
43 minutes ago, hughd said:

If I recall correctly "some" of the Springfield's are not 100% "Made in The USA".

You are correct, but from what I have read in 2015 Springfield started making all 1911 in the USA from USA parts. Prior to 2015 you had to look for a certain mark on the frame to get a US made 1911 I think they were marked NM but don't hold me to this, it's just what I have read wandering around the net.

I have a 10+ year old Springfield Loaded Government that is US made and it's a tack driver and eats anything I have fed it. I can't speak for all of them but my loaded was as tight as any of the high end (Dan Wesson, Wilson, etc.) pistols that I looked at when I bought it. The only problem I have ever had out of it was on break in I over lubed it because of how tight the tolerance were and after a couple mags of some really cheap ammo it got so dirty it gummed it up a little but cleaned it at the range lightly oiled it and it has functioned flawlessly ever since.

It is still tight and functions flawlessly so IMO you can't go wrong, just look them over and decide for yourself.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Back again! I really want a commander size in 9 from the Rock Island line. The full size 9 started out as a base model/GI form. But with a set of sights, some trigger work from Sam Hoster, and a general once-over while in his shop; this sub 300 dollar gun shoots as well as my near 1k Springfield 9s. And just as much fun too.

It just doesn't get a 10 in the looks department as the LT/Loaded/Champion Operator or the Range Officer Elite gets. I really have to rate the Rock at about a 6/7, my current one that is.

The newer models look very much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Iv put together a couple hundred or so 1911A1's back in my AO days. And I have to say I was pretty impressed with a Ruger SR1911 my brother bought 2 years ago. It shot very well with nice sights and most of all the factory trigger was perfect out of the box. THAT is pretty rare. No tune up needed in any cat. And I'm not a big Ruger fan but they do a hell of a job on those SR guns.

• Like 1

I bought a CMC mag today and shot another 100 rounds again. Had almost shot 100 rounds when it failed again. I tried pushing the slide forward and couldn't get it to budge. I cleared it and finished off the box. I've sent RIA another email requesting it to be returned for repairs. Hopefully I'll hear back from them Monday to get the process started again. Ugh.

16 hours ago, lock n' load said:

I bought a CMC mag today and shot another 100 rounds again. Had almost shot 100 rounds when it failed again. I tried pushing the slide forward and couldn't get it to budge. I cleared it and finished off the box. I've sent RIA another email requesting it to be returned for repairs. Hopefully I'll hear back from them Monday to get the process started again. Ugh.

Sorry to hear that.... It may be some thing very simple like a too tight extractor. That happens mostly on the last or next to last rounds when there is little help from the magazine spring to "pop" the chambering cartridge up in front of the bolt face. take the slide off and just push a cartridge onto the bolt face, it should go relatively easy with just enough tension on the rim to hold the cartridge in place on the face without it falling off.  I usualy put a slight polish just above the firing pin hole and the top lip of the hole. A rough casting there will slow the in battery cycle. The other easy diagnostic is when it jammed and you couldn't push the slide forward, another action to try is put the muzzle of the barrel up against the edge of the table or what ever is near pointing down range and push in on the barrel. If the gun chambers up, the barrel recoil lug depth should be checked (.058) and their movement tolerance under the ceiling of the slide when out of battery is another very important tolerance. A Fast check on that is, with unloaded gun, pull the slide back until you expose most of the mag follower in the ejection port. Then hold the slide there and grab the barrel muzzle and push it in and out. It should have only about an eighth of in & out movement. If its much more than that, the slide/barrel/link geometry is getting in the unreliable zone.  At this point, its factory part replacement time if any of that is out. Good luck with it.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:50 PM, lock n' load said:

I was just talking to a friend of mine a couple of nights ago, who bought one the same as you.  He said the slide had known issues with  an excess of whatever they coat the slide with, cerakote, paint, I am not sure what it is. He said he sanded some of it off in key areas of where the slide rubs (inside grooves), re-lubed and it works fine.  Maybe see if there is anything about that on another forum.  I did not listen closely to everything he was saying, so I might not have it exactly right, but it is worth looking into.  It sounded like the gun just needed some finishing.