Sign in to follow this  
DWARREN123

Lead Levels in Blood

If you reload a lot and/or shoot indoors do yourself a favor and get your serum lead levels (lead levels in blood) checked.

My have gone up drastically in the last year, doing things now to bring it back down.

Take care.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 3

I'm going to throw in my two cents as a safety professional.

Best practices when handling lead:

- wear disposable gloves

- use ventilation, an exhaust hood is ideal, but the idea is to get dust or fumes away from you.  Beware that using makeshift equipment such as a fan is going to blow lead dust all over your work area. 

- wear long sleeves and long pants, take them off and wash them when you are done handling lead.

- don't eat, drink, or smoke while handling lead, or in areas where lead is handled.  

- a respirator is a good idea, but you don't want to buy one off of the shelf and start using it without the proper knowledge and precautions.  You need to be fit tested before wearing a respirator.  A fit test ensures that the respirator makes a good seal on your face.  IIRC some medical clinics, such as Concentra offer this service.  You also need to get a medical evaluation to make sure that your heart and lungs can take the added stress of a respirator.  Also, store your respirator in a gallon size zip lock bag when you are not using it, use the correct filters, and change filters at a regular interval. 

This is a very brief summary of protecting yourself from lead dust.  Avoiding contaminants is complex.  Just wanted to put this out there to 1) inform and 2) possibly prevent someone from an overexposure because they thought they were protecting themselves, but their method wasn't effective.  Not only do you need to use engineering controls and PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) they need to be used properly.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

No casting just mostly indoor shooting and reloading.

The indoor range shooting is the main suspect!

Lead Vapor is the bad stuff. Unless you get lead very hot it wont turn to vapor when casting. Older primers used lead in them, newer primers do not have lead and shorter shelf life.

So yes, range shooting, well indoor range shooting can be an issue.

Myself and one friend use to shoot indoors a lot at an old range.  Both of us had elevated levels that went down once our  indoor time decreased.

One thing I remembered about my dad. He had a 30" shop fan blowing from behind him while casting. If we were indoor or outdoor shooting that fan was behind us.

Range ventilation can be one of the first things that goes when finances start turning south at a shop. Scrubbers are really expensive to maintain - so those schedules often get stretch - sometimes a lot.

Think of the ranges you've been to where they can either condition the air or clean the air.  I've talked to workers in a couple of shops lately who've had to quit working the range because their lead levels had spiked.

If you can run your finger down a surface in the range and it comes back black - the air probably isn't being scrubbed appropriately.

We have always thought it took exposure over long times to impact our health. What we are seeing right now with vaping; shows that’s not the case.

I sure am lucky (and amazed) I made it to adulthood.

I do remember in the military, the range folks who were there daily routinely had their lead levels tested.  Those of us who only fired 4-6 times a year did not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By pop pop
      I have a SW 629 44 mag I don't shoot much any more. I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendation, in 44 Spl, for self defense purposes, or house gun? I don't reload 44 spl so need factory ammo suggestions.

• By Dirtshooter
      Hi guys, was browsing and ran across this thought some of you would find it eye opening. Just a few tidbits. 30-30 retail $3.95, 30-06 retail $5.00, .300 win mag retail $6.30.
      .22 short retail $0.70, 22LR retail $0.85 and .22 match was a whopping $1.30. Here is the link http://cartridgecollectors.org/content/catalogs/PETERS/Peters Catalogs/1965-Peters-4 Jan-Wholesale PL.pdf
    • By xtriggerman
      As noted earlier, I was a bit light in mag ammo so I toped it off some with 5 bricks of this Federal 30g H-shok "hoping" it would shoot nearly as well as my preferred Win Super X 40g jhp's. The Marlin 57M has all ways shot that ammo the most consistently but the Fed being on a pretty good sale, I took a untested chance that it would be acceptable.

The method of test was off my sand bag set up that I'v used for the passed 38 years. The scope is an old Bushnel Quad Power 2.5-10 that is paralaxed for 100 yards. My target range at this point is exactly 61 feet from muzzle to target. So, my group measurements will be with a dial caliper.

Each group is a 10 shot string with my Win Super X leading the 4 types since the rifle is sighted in with that particular round. The Remington 40g PSP was a top shooter for a friend of mine so I was eager to test that round here and it clearly more spoty that the Super X. By the time I put the Fed H-Shok in the gun, the 40 rounds fired had created some very noticeable heat mirage so I had to slow down and shoot the feds with a bit of air breeze when ever it happened to clear the POA. I was pleasantly surprised with these results. If that lone bottom left hit was not there, the Feds would have taken the lead by a .040 tighter group. As it was, that one round put in equal with the Remingtons despite the Rem's being far more choppy. Then theres the Win Varmint HV's. Thank fully, I only have about 5 or 6 boxes of this stuff. This particular batch is the "Thunderbolts" of mag rounds. I didn't have hi hopes for it since my last bench outing with a new to me Uberti 5.5" SAA, that showed very poor group consistency and even in this test I could actually hear a difference in the boom report between 2 or 3 of the rounds. Before shooting this last 10 round string, I let the barrel cool down. It clearly has potential and I may even try some out of a new batch in the future but for now, I'm going to stick with Super X in 40 and there was no mistake in buying the H-Shok in 30's.

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines