Houston man first to be indicted for bump stock possession since federal ban

He’s a court certified mental defective, that lied on his 4473 and then started making threats. (or phone calls that someone interpreted as possibly being threats) So he was going to be arrested bump stock or not. Looks like someone was doing their job, and this is a good thing; correct?

• Like 3

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-man-first-to-be-indicted-for-bump-stock-possession-since-ban

A Houston man was indicted Wednesday on federal charges of possessing a rifle with a bump stock attached to it, in what is believed to be the first such case since the Trump administration banned the device earlier this year.

Prosecutors said Ajay Dhingra, 43, is charged with possessing a machine gun, two counts of making false statements to acquire a firearm and possessing a firearm after having been judged a mental defective or being committed to a mental institution. Authorities were tipped off about Dhingra last month when he called the George W. Bush Foundation and left a "concerning message."

The Associated Press, citing court records, reported that Dhingra also sent an email to the foundation asking the former president to "send one of your boys to come and murder me."

Officers then obtained a search warrant for Dhingra's home where they found 277 rounds of 9 mm ammunition, a Colt rifle with a bump stock attached, and a Glock pistol. Dhingra told Secret Service agents who showed up at his house that he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

If convicted of any of the charges, Dhingra could face 10 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine.

The nationwide bump stock ban took effect in March of this year, under the same federal law that prohibits possessing machine guns. The devices became a focal point of the national gun control debate after the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting, in which a gunman opened fire on a music festival, killing 58 people and wounding hundreds more.

Investigators found that the gunman used a bump stock to fire 1,100 rounds of ammunition from the 32nd-floor suite of his hotel.

Dhingra is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 12.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

How does a liberal view this story? They can't congratulate Trump for banning bump stocks. They can't say current background checks are adequate.

Sure they can. Right now a lot of them don’t want to change background checks; they want to require them for private sales. As I’m seeing the story reported a bump stock had nothing to do with this guys arrest; it was simply an additional charge after a search warrant was executed. He started playing on the phone and when they investigated him, they saw the refusals he lied on. They had him at that point.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Just now, DaveTN said:

Sure they can. Right now a lot of them don’t want to change background checks; they want to require them for private sales. As I’m seeing the story reported a bump stock had nothing to do with this guys arrest; it was simply an additional charge after a search warrant was executed. He started playing on the phone and when they investigated him, they saw the refusals he lied on. They had him at that point.

This is exactly how I expect 99% of any bump stock related charges to go down. An add on discovered during the investigation of other possible offenses. Where it’s gonna suck is when they discover a bump stock during an investigation that would have otherwise ended up without a charge for lack of evidence. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is exactly how I expect 99% of any bump stock related charges to go down. An add on discovered during the investigation of other possible offenses. Where it’s gonna suck is when they discover a bump stock during an investigation that would have otherwise ended up without a charge for lack of evidence. 

It happens a lot in drug warrants. They can search anywhere drugs can be; which is everywhere. The majority of law-abiding citizens aren’t worried about the cops executing a search warrant on them. This guy made what was perceived to be threats that put all this in motion; a Judge or jury can make the call on that. He is a mental case, so there is a good possibility he will simply be committed for treatment for awhile and he can be back out to try again.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:42 PM, Ronald_55 said:

So how much rifle ammo did he have? I mean I take more than that with me to the range....

Sounds like the bump stock was the least of his issues. 

I always laugh when media blows up over someone having "hundreds" of rounds of ammo, thats only a shoebox full of mags!

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

That always gets me too. Don’t let them get word that I buy ammo at a minimum of like 1k at a time. 🤣

For real! The other night some guys carrying on about this guy having “thousands” of rounds of ammo, and says “Who does that? Who has that much ammo?” And that was on FOX!

Man I’m looking around all nervous, the dog looks at me like “I told you!” and walks in the other room.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, BCR#1 said:

He might walk............................https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/09/21/atf-bump-stock-ruling/

Bill

So...

- The ATF declared bump stocks legal by their own analysis and subsequent opinion.

- They then declared them machine guns (per Trump’s directive)

- Now they say they can’t enforce their own regulations.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Edited by Garufa
4 hours ago, Garufa said:

So...

- The ATF declared bump stocks legal by their own analysis and subsequent opinion.

- They then declared them machine guns (per Trump’s directive)

- Now they say they can’t enforce their own regulations.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Pretty much; I wonder how many more lawsuits will be forthcoming from those that destroyed theirs?

I didn’t believe from the beginning the ATF has the authority to decide that a device that could enable a semi-auto to fire a full auto rates was legal. It should have been presented to the lawmakers and let them decide if the law needed to be changed. That’s their job, not the job of some clown in an ATF office.

I don’t know much about how civil law cases work, but I’m pretty sure Congress and the BATF will fix their screw ups and move on. I would guess that will end the lawsuits; but that’s just a guess.

The possibility exists that when congress changes the wording in the definition of a machine gun the statute it will impact something we do care about.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I didn’t believe from the beginning the ATF has the authority to decide that a device that could enable a semi-auto to fire a full auto rates was legal. It should have been presented to the lawmakers and let them decide if the law needed to be changed. That’s their job, not the job of some clown in an ATF office.

I don’t know much about how civil law cases work, but I’m pretty sure Congress and the BATF will fix their screw ups and move on. I would guess that will end the lawsuits; but that’s just a guess.

The possibility exists that when congress changes the wording in the definition of a machine gun the statute it will impact something we do care about.

I disagree, they do have the authority to decide if a device is legal or illegal; what they do not have authority to do is decide what constitutes a machine gun.  That was the gist of the article, that they changed the description of what makes a machine gun, instead of using the current description to decide.

1 hour ago, Omega said:

I disagree, they do have the authority to decide if a device is legal or illegal; what they do not have authority to do is decide what constitutes a machine gun.  That was the gist of the article, that they changed the description of what makes a machine gun, instead of using the current description to decide.

Well, we have to see what happens. Maybe there will be a court ruling that bump stocks are in fact legal.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:15 PM, FrankD said:

I always laugh when media blows up over someone having "hundreds" of rounds of ammo, thats only a shoebox full of mags!

Yeah!  That and the articles describing some of the gun "arsenals" make me laugh when i read the number of guns that apparently make an arsenal.