CMMG Banshee 300

mav

It has been quite a few years since I have posted anything.  I honestly think I burned myself out shooting so much a few years back that I just walked away from the gun community altogether.  I am slowly working my way back into it as time allows.  That said, I went to a local gun show a few weeks ago and saw so many new things that I never knew existed.  One of the things I saw that really made me smile was a CMMG Banshee 300 Mk 57.  The FN Five Seven was my first handgun I ever purchased, and it is still one of my favorites.  To have the 5.7 as a PDW on an AR platform was really cool.  Does anyone have an familiarity with them or with the quality of CMMG?  I am not all that familiar with them either.  Thanks.

• Admin Team

CMMG has some legit quality issues for a few years. Luckily, those were a bunch of years ago, and they seemed to have not only squared them away - but really make some nice stuff that won’t break the bank these days. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to own their stuff. 

On this particular variant running the 5.7x28, my only hesitation is those Pro-Mags.  I’ve run plenty, and their quality does seem to be hit or miss.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, mav said:

I have never tried them.  Actually, I never knew they made them.  I have a bunch of FN mags for my Five Seven.

In that case, you’re removing what most of us would consider the weakest link and most likely failure point. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Built on a purpose built lower (not a 5.56 lower with a block) that uses Glock pattern mags and a radial locking blowback system. It checks all the boxes for an awesome AR pattern PCC. 

I've been running a Glock-pattern 9mm for a while and have been super pleased with it.

The weak point on all of these is the last round bolt hold open.  CMMG seems to take a bit different tack than the QC-10s of the world - so I'm curious to see some range reports.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I've been running a Glock-pattern 9mm for a while and have been super pleased with it.

The weak point on all of these is the last round bolt hold open.  CMMG seems to take a bit different tack than the QC-10s of the world - so I'm curious to see some range reports.

Using SMG Glock pattern mags, cmmg says the last round bolt hold open works. The tfbtv review seems to back that up. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, mav said:

It has been quite a few years since I have posted anything.  I honestly think I burned myself out shooting so much a few years back that I just walked away from the gun community altogether.  I am slowly working my way back into it as time allows.  That said, I went to a local gun show a few weeks ago and saw so many new things that I never knew existed.  One of the things I saw that really made me smile was a CMMG Banshee 300 Mk 57.  The FN Five Seven was my first handgun I ever purchased, and it is still one of my favorites.  To have the 5.7 as a PDW on an AR platform was really cool.  Does anyone have an familiarity with them or with the quality of CMMG?  I am not all that familiar with them either.  Thanks.

I've owned two CMMG's and both of them were crap. I had an AR-15 that wouldn't center on the bull's-eye at 100 yards when the sight was drifted all the way to the left, and a 9mm that jammed more frequently than Guns & Roses.