I turned 45 recently and this was the present I got myself

mav

11 minutes ago, hipower said:

It happens. lol 

I'm on 250 now. BTW, I just bought a pair of those pictured above. Any comments on them?

I find the frames very tight on my temples.

I think they are very tight too, but they aren't uncomfortable.  Then again, I haven't worn them for an extended time period either.  I think I would have done better just buying a $15 pair of reading glasses and use them only for reading.  I can't wear the glasses while on the computer, so they were really a waste for me.

Edited by mav

When I had my eyes checked several years ago, the doctor said I had presbyopia (aka "old man eyes") and just needed reading glasses.  For reading a book, I needed 1.5 diopter (at that time) and 1.25 diopter for working on the computer which is my job.   She directed me down the street to the "Dollar Tree" to pickup a few pair in the prescriptions required.  They work fine, I have multiple pairs laying around in various locations so they are readily available, and they are inexpensive enough the I keep a few spares handy for when I eventually break them.  The half-height are the ones I prefer as they are lighter and more comfortable for longer periods of use.  They also fit my melon-sized head.  I wear an 8 or larger in hats or a XXXL to 4X in motorcycle helmets.  Just be sure to check that the lenses aren't damaged before you buy them. 

As you get older, your eyes will progressively get worse and will require higher diopter reading glasses.  This is the way I test: Open up a word processor on your computer, type a line of text, and copy the text on multiple lines resizing one point smaller each time until you get down to tiny print.  I checked mine with a magnifying glass and found that Calibri font will go down to 3 and still be clear from my laser printer.  I carry this sheet with me when picking up new glasses.  I test powers of glasses by holding it as if reading a book and then for the computer at just beyond arms reach which is the distance from my sitting position in the chair to my computer monitor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the "insight". Sorry, that was a terrible pun.

Yes, I just about had a coronary when I saw the price on these. But Walgreens had a 2/1 sale on this week when I bought them. Made it a bit easier to take. I do have to say these seem to be very clear. Or maybe it's just that my current glasses are old and scratched.

Also would prefer a larger lens...about 25-30% larger. More like my older readers.

I do need mine on the pc, the screen is fuzzy. So I'm a bit further along.

I wear contacts, doc gave me a pair of multifocal lenses that help my far and near sightedness.  Seems they are like a bullseye, with the center for close-up and the subsequent rings for further away.  Before I had to choose one or the other, I chose far and got some cheap glasses, 1.0s, for reading. Then I decided to try one far (dominant left) and one close (right), that worked good for a couple years.  Now that I got these new ones, I notice the depth perception issue, slight, but there, with the mixed ones.  With these, I give up a little of the far vision, a little fuzzy beyond 100~150 yards,  and a little of the close up, fuzzy if closer than 6 inches or so. So that range should work for me, tablet, phone and pc are clear, deer hunting ranges should be good to spot them, and the scope clears it right up.

I started with corrective lenses in the 7th grade, now wear progressive tri-focals.  The only time I don't have 'em on is when I turn out the lights at night, and put 'em on before I take a step in the morning.  Go see your eye doctor on a regular basis.  I have to go every 6 months for early stages of glaucoma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried them at 40. I wear contacts from sun up to bed for seeing far. Tried 1.0 readers and fixed my issue. If I wore my regular glasses, I could just take them off for up close things. Wife actually went and go a nice pair of prescription ones. They work great at telling me when to dust.

• Haha 1

Mine happened at 49. Guess I’m a late bloomer, compared you geezers. 😂 Fast forward 7 years, I’m wearing progressives and I love them! Great for the computer, books, technical drawings, driving, etc. The key is to spend the money on the widest progressive field available. I even had a pair of sun glasses made. So much more comfortable than contacts! And I look smarter too! 😏

Edited by Moped

So here is something I didn't mention; about a week before my VA teleretinal exam, and two before my full exam...more on that later, I was doing some chores outside, I thought a bug was buzzing me now and then from the top right.  I'd swat at it and carry on, persistent little thing I thought.  Then, I started seeing flashes of light, in an arc from the same direction, no, didn't think it was a firefly.  I stopped what I was doing and went inside.  I noticed when I closed my eyes and rolled them, the light flashes would increase. Went to google and discovered that it was a Weiss ring, well at least I hoped so, as it could have been retinal tear.  I had a week to go so figured the VA exam would verify it.

So, on the exams; I had thought that the VA exam was a full exam, but apparently it is a way for the VA to avoid hiring an ophthalmologist, as a nurse does the exam and sends the results in.  Anyway, my next appointment, full exam, confirmed my Google fu was strong, and stupid.  Seems that a retinal tear can lead to blindness if not treated immediately, and the teleretinal exam may not find it.  I guess as we age, the gel in your eye shrinks, and creates pressure, a separation from the back, the Weiss ring, is preferred to relieve the pressure. So long story short, see your eye doc immediately if you notice something abnormal. 

i have to ask cause i think it fits in here, i am supposed to wear regular glasses but my issue is that they are always uncomfortable on the nose wether they have those little nubs or the ones with out them, how do you get around that? mine feel heavy on my nose and i cant stand to wear them more than 10 minutes

6 minutes ago, luke9511 said:

i have to ask cause i think it fits in here, i am supposed to wear regular glasses but my issue is that they are always uncomfortable on the nose wether they have those little nubs or the ones with out them, how do you get around that? mine feel heavy on my nose and i cant stand to wear them more than 10 minutes

Contacts, or just stop being stubborn.   I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 years old.  I can't function without corrective lenses.   If my 9 year old self, or my friend's six year old little girl can figure out how to wear glasses, so can you.  

1 minute ago, luke9511 said:

i know how to wear them, ive been wearing them since i was 13 but still they cause me enough discomfort that i cant wear them all the time like i would like to

Then you have a skin problem or aren't picking out suitable frames.   Go to a real eyewear store and not the two pair for 99 dollars places and tell them your issues.   They will help.   Or wear contacts.   

49 minutes ago, Omega said:

So long story short, see your eye doc immediately if you notice something abnormal. 

Very much yes. If you see flashes of light, get to an eye doc immediately. The time frame is similar to having a stroke, it's not something to mess around with. 

14 minutes ago, luke9511 said:

i know how to wear them, ive been wearing them since i was 13 but still they cause me enough discomfort that i cant wear them all the time like i would like to

Lighter lenses or different frames. Comfortable glasses tend to be expensive. I switched to contacts because I kept breaking my glasses. 

• Like 1

I'm wearing a pair of low-magnification  (1.50?) Foster Grants now.  I like them for the computer, as the focal length is a little longer than the 2.50's I use for reading.  I'm under the impression that the lenses in the FG's are a little better quality than those in the Walmart glasses, which I also have.

Never wore reading glasses until I got cataract surgery this spring.  I wore progressive bifocals for my near-sightedness, which I no longer have.  20-20 beyond 5 ft, but I can still make out the front sight.

I had Lasik about 15 years ago to correct my 20:600 vision.  That was the best $2500 I ever spent.  My far-sightedness is still good from the Lasik.  I figure in a couple of years I will have to use the readers on a daily basis.