TGO David

The STI Staccato P DUO 9mm 2011

STI Staccato P DUO 9mm 2011

i-TpmDNrQ-X2.jpg

This may be the ultimate host for a red dot optic, and anyone who's been following my posts for the past year knows that I have become a fan of red dots on fighting pistols.

I became aware of the Staccato P earlier this year and managed to elbow my way through the crowd around STI's booth and wrap my mitts around one for a few minutes at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis.  Scores of people were doing the same thing, and for pretty good reason.  STI has managed to take the lessons they have learned building race guns for competitive shooters over the last 25-years and start cranking out a mass-produced series of combat handguns.

The already impressive Staccato P gained even more notoriety this year after word got out that the US Marshals Special Operations Group (SOG) had adopted the pistol for duty use when they looked to depart from the Springfield .45ACP 1911 that they had carried for the last 16-years.

While there are easily more expensive handguns owned by quite a few of you here on TGO, this one pushed the boundary of what I am willing to spend on myself.  Truthfully I had essentially written off the idea of owning one until I lucked into a little extra cash and my loving wife gave me the green light to do something... impractical... with it.  😄

Blah Blah Blah... How's It Shoot?

After picking it up from a nearby FFL transfer agent at lunch, I just managed to eke out the last 30 minutes of my local outdoor range's operating hours today before they closed, and ran a few mags of 115gr aluminum cased Federal 9mm FMJ through it to dial in an RMR that I popped off of an M&P for the time being.  Before stepping foot out the door I "slaved" the dot to the top of the front iron sight just to get it close and make the process a little quicker.  It wasn't too far off at the range.

The first three shots made an effortless cloverleaf at 9 yards, about 2 inches lower than my point of aim.  It only took a few tweaks of the RMR to get the dot and barrel agreeing with each other at 9 yards, and there was no disagreement at 15 yards either.

This target is the last one I shot for the day before they called the final "CLEAR" and I had to pack it up and go home.  This is 17 rounds at about 15 yards grouped around a 1" bullseye, offhand.  The gun is capable of wayyyyyyy more than I am.

i-h24mKrp-X2.jpg

I am not sure if I am going to leave this RMR on there or just order another Holosun HE508T and install that instead.  I put one of those on my Gen 5 Glock 19 recently and really like the smaller 2MOA dot as compared to the 6.5MOA dot in the Trijicon RM06.  There are a lot of other things to like more about the new Holosun too, but I need to make a post about that separately.

Anyway... I'm tickled with this 2011.  It's the first time I've owned a 2011 or a 9mm 1911/2011 and it could very easily end up seeing some carry on Sundays when I'm doing the Safety Team thing at church.

John Moses Browning would approve, I think.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

That is nice.  I bought a Nighthawk Custom Talon FLX, which essentially built on a STI frame, about 8 years ago.  I love the STI 2011s.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomInMN said:

That is the weirdest dang Glock I've ever seen...

Nice pistol!

I know, right?!  The crazy thing is it weighs almost exactly the same as a Glock 17 too thanks to the polymer lower.  :)

5 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Oh, yeah. NICE!

Thanks.  :)

2 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

She's a beauty David! And Damn fine shooting as well!

And Yeah, I think JMB would definitely approve! :)

Jamie, I'm going to say that a good 50% of that shooting was the gun, 25% of it was the wind, 20% of it was luck, and 5% of it was the idiot behind the trigger having a reasonably good day.  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I know, right?!  The crazy thing is it weighs almost exactly the same as a Glock 17 too thanks to the polymer lower.  :)

Thanks.  :)

Jamie, I'm going to say that a good 50% of that shooting was the gun, 25% of it was the wind, 20% of it was luck, and 5% of it was the idiot behind the trigger having a reasonably good day.  😄

LOL. I think you are being a bit humble there David. While I have no doubt it's an excellent tool, quite remarkable I'm certain, But it's still the shooter doing "the work", and I know you put in the work and it shows. Good on 'ya!

• Like 1

I've ben looking at these on line and really want one, I like the looks of the treebark grip treatment how does it feel in the hand.  TGO David if you don't mind could you PM me were you bought it at and what price you paid for it. Enjoy shooting that one it looks great.

Beautiful piece of machinery you picked up! Easy on the eye and accurate to boot! Congratulations!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

I've ben looking at these on line and really want one, I like the looks of the treebark grip treatment how does it feel in the hand.  TGO David if you don't mind could you PM me were you bought it at and what price you paid for it. Enjoy shooting that one it looks great.

The treebark treatment is probably one of the best stippling textures I have felt yet. I'd like to emulate that on a Glock sometime.  It's not too aggressive but plenty grippy.  I doubt it will tear up an undershirt but it would probably still agitate the skin if you carry it against your side without an undershirt, though.

I picked this one up through The Modern Sportsman on Gunbroker.  I don't mind stating the price publicly since the retailers are all pricing them identically right now it seems.  $2499.95 with free shipping.

I bet a guy with some contacts could get it a little cheaper.  I hope you can prove me right on that. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moped said:

Beautiful piece of machinery you picked up! Easy on the eye and accurate to boot! Congratulations!!! 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Nice! I recently put one of these on layaway. It shipped with the RMR and a threaded barrel. The red dots have definitely changed the game. Congrats. 

• Like 1

Very nice, the gun and the shooting! 

I recently picked up my first STI (also well beyond what I had ever paid for a handgun, or any gun!) and love it.  It founds it's way into a local shop pre-owned but unfired and I just had to have it. Mine is the DVC Carry model and man it is sweet. 

As a side note I decided to throw an optic on my CZ P-10S and give the red dot a chance with an EDC piece. I'm generally not a fan of optics on cc handguns but thought what the heck, I'll see how it goes. Only about a week so far so we'll see how it goes. 

FWIW - for those of you in the Nashville area there was a STI DVC C listed on gunowners club for an absolute bargain, not sure if it's still there, this was a week or so ago when I looked. 

STI.jpg

P10S.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickinTN said:

Very nice, the gun and the shooting! 

Thanks!  The compliments on the shooting are nice to hear given the strange rash of "bad days at the range" I've had lately where my accuracy seemed abnormally below my norm.

I recently picked up my first STI (also well beyond what I had ever paid for a handgun, or any gun!) and love it.  It founds it's way into a local shop pre-owned but unfired and I just had to have it. Mine is the DVC Carry model and man it is sweet. 

Those DVC Carry models are really nice and absolutely meant to live up to their namesake.  I know several people who, upon buying one, have ditched all of their other guns and carry nothing else now.

As a side note I decided to throw an optic on my CZ P-10S and give the red dot a chance with an EDC piece. I'm generally not a fan of optics on cc handguns but thought what the heck, I'll see how it goes. Only about a week so far so we'll see how it goes. 

I'm digging that P-10S!

Running a dot on a handgun takes some getting used to, so don't give up on it early.  I have heard several well regarded SMEs on the subject of running red dot optics on handguns say that it takes several hours and a few hundred rounds.  I really think a person should double that number and spread it out over at least a few weeks with copious dry-fire in between.

The most profound piece of advice I can give anyone on acclimating to a dot optic on a handgun is pretty simple in statement but sometimes difficult in practice:

1. Make the target your focal point.  The target should be crisp and clear.  Do not focus on the dot.  Imagine that the target were an eye chart at the optometrist's office:  You want to be able to read the letters!  That's how focused you should be on the target.

2. Do not obsess over the minor movements, shakes, bobbles, etc. of the dot as you focus on the target!  You're going to literally see every quiver of muscle, every pulse of your heartbeat, if you obsess over it and you will find yourself chasing the dot instead of focusing on the target.  See point #1.  Relax, find the mid-point of your bobbles and break the trigger within them.

Running a red dot on my carry guns has honestly made me a better shooter with iron sights.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank's for answering me on what you paid for it, I'm going to have to get one. I've been eyeing the Staccato c single stack but I have to say I like the DUO. I'll let you know if I get a deal on a new one.

• Like 1

Totally jealous of that beauty, and even more of your ability to shoot it with the red dot. I can only imagine how pleased you are that it more than met expectations. Honestly with the performance and satisfaction, the sum spent probably seems cheap considering what most nice guns cost today that don't instantly gel.

I hope when I grow up I can get some of those big boy toys and use them that well. ;)

• Like 1

Wowzer!!! What a wonderful handgun. I think I'd have to sell my truck to be able to afford that thing. :lol:

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Wowzer!!! What a wonderful handgun. I think I'd have to sell my truck to be able to afford that thing. :lol:

That was my first response. Then I remembered that I have only a few hundred less in my HiPower. So maybe it isn’t that bad after all. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Erich said:

Totally jealous of that beauty, and even more of your ability to shoot it with the red dot. I can only imagine how pleased you are that it more than met expectations.

You know... my wife actually asked me how upset I was going to be if I ended up not liking it, and then quickly preempted it with the fact that it wouldn't be as much as she was going to be with me.  😄

1 hour ago, Erich said:

Honestly with the performance and satisfaction, the sum spent probably seems cheap considering what most nice guns cost today that don't instantly gel.

You're right about that!  When you stop and think about what Agency Arms gets for one of their modified Glocks, it really wasn't that outrageous.  Or maybe their prices are really just that outrageous.  :)

1 hour ago, Erich said:

I hope when I grow up I can get some of those big boy toys and use them that well. ;)

Let's hope neither of us have to grow up anytime soon?

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on concentrating on the target and not that ever bobbing and weaving dot! 

I've only have 300 rounds through the STI so a few more hundred including some defensive rounds and it will go into the rotation, holster has already been purchased 😀😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickinTN said:

Thanks for the tip on concentrating on the target and not that ever bobbing and weaving dot! 

It drove me absolutely nuts the first few days until I got angry enough to stop worrying about it and then... suddenly... it worked.  :)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TGO David said:

When you stop and think about what Agency Arms gets for one of their modified Glocks, it really wasn't that outrageous

It's pretty easy to turn a $600 gun into a $1000-$1300 gun without a red dot (from personal experience x2)

Brand name custom shop models and higher end mfg'ers seem to run $1200-$1800.

So $2000-$3000 for a true high end or full custom doesn't seem excessive.

Enjoy it and congratulations on your new purchase!

• Like 2