PA Vet and collector - Latest victim of the media fear machine

Erich

I dont know what is more heartbreaking, the poor older vet being harassed and having his collection damaged and confiscated, or that it was at the hands of his "family" (not red flag, just young snowflakes)

The video shows the travesty. The interviews...sweet tap dancing christ where do they find these people.

Notice the blue paint on the "bombs' and those 'machine guns' with the straight pull bolt actions.

So for a bunch of Mosins and inert collectible following your service, your reward =  straight to the loony bin for evaluation. *

Its clear, the media only wants to generate fear and misinformation, and they are getting the authorities to help them now. Its pretty scary.

* I did find one thing disturbing and gave me pause for a second. As they panned over the ammo 'arsenal', there is a PINK ammo can. No good can come of that! :(

https://6abc.com/police-most-military-items-found-in-montco-home-were-collectible-in-nature/5519469/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-family-worried-finding-military-165419490.html

Doubt they will feel bad at all, they already labeled him and thought he was 'off'  and supporting it further based on not understanding what they were seeing. They are obvious fans of the media Koolaid based on already passing judgement without the facts and reporting machine guns that did not exist. And did not get it when they saw EOD casually strolling around all those oh so dangerous high explosives.

2 hours ago, Moped said:

Wonder how his neighbors are going to feel, if he gets cleared and all those weapons are returned?

It's truly impressive to me that the 6 news team knows what those cans are full of ammo, from their chopper no less. And that Dann the man knows that charges will be filed. Of course, maybe he interviewed the neighbors, some of them seem to be experts on all sorts of things.

Maybe the guy was a crap neighbor, but that doesn't mean he's the threat his neighbors already seem to have judged him to be. I hope he's cleared, gets his collection back intact, and is compensated as appropriate. I also hope all of those neighbors can see fit to be a bit more neighborly in the future.

• Like 1

Having gone through this with family members and watching friends go through it, there are far worse things than worrying about someone’s gun collection once their mind starts going. I’m sure the family has reasons for what they are doing. Of course, no one is interested in hearing that story, it wouldn’t get nearly as much discussion as the perception the government was seizing this guy’s guns.

The real shame here, besides his probable condition, is that families are not aware that the Police don’t need to be involved in this. Too often they don’t know how to handle it, and because guns are involved they call the Police.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The real shame here, besides his probable condition, is that families are not aware that the Police don’t need to be involved in this. Too often they don’t know how to handle it, and because guns are involved they call the Police.

Agreed.  I notice similar stories and wonder about the regret the family is likely to have for choosing to involve the police--particularly when someone (especially their loved one)--is shot.  I'm glad the fallout seems limited to "stuff" in this case.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

This is a rare point where we agree on something regarding LE. Cops aren’t social workers. The general public needs to stop trying to use them as such.

They’re a blunt instrument that is to be used when the application of force is required.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is a rare point where we agree on something regarding LE. Cops aren’t social workers. The general public needs to stop trying to use them as such.

They’re a blunt instrument that is to be used when the application of force is required.

I’ve posted here many times that if someone can’t handle their own family business; the cops will do it for you if you call them. You think you don’t like some of my opinions here; think about all the people that had to deal with me showing up and taking over running their family for them. Most didn’t like the outcome.

• Like 2

So sounds like the jury here finds he is likely crazy (not knowing info about the psych hold), the family had solid ground (though the clearly had no idea of what they were looking at), and was therefore apt to be a danger to others?  Also, damages should it not be the case are irrelevant as confiscation is a must, and media portrayal and misinformation are non issues?

Hmmm...well that is what news 6 wants you to beleive, so sounds like job done. Good one media.

I'm not surprised by the proponent, but the reasons are not know for that conclusion. Could very well be the old man was trying to stop the knowledgeable 'family' from doing exact what folks are pointing out (calling the cops) and they ended up causing the very problem. In trying to stop them, they report he is irate or whatever....boom psych issues.

Assuming crazy gun owner first is very sad to see. We just don't know.

I'll wait till he's been evaluated and the story is vetted before assuming getting old automatically makes you unstable or a danger.

I never support the media painting gun collectors as cooks, that any collection is an arsenal (or other inflammatory representations), and factual misrepresentation. Unfortunate it does not seem to bother others, but of course, that is why they are winning over minds and we are seeing swings in opinions. 

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Erich said:

So sounds like the jury here finds he is likely crazy (not knowing info about the psych hold), the family had solid ground (though the clearly had no idea of what they were looking at), and was therefore apt to be a danger to others?  Also, damages should it not be the case are irrelevant as confiscation is a must, and media portrayal and misinformation are non issues?

Hmmm...well that is what news 6 wants you to beleive, so sounds like job done. Good one media.

I'm not surprised by the proponent, but the reasons are not know for that conclusion. Could very well be the old man was trying to stop the knowledgeable 'family' from doing exact what folks are pointing out (calling the cops) and they ended up causing the very problem. In trying to stop them, they report he is irate or whatever....boom psych issues.

Assuming crazy gun owner first is very sad to see. We just don't know.

I'll wait till he's been evaluated and the story is vetted before assuming getting old automatically makes you unstable or a danger.

I never support the media painting gun collectors as cooks, that any collection is an arsenal (or other inflammatory representations), and factual misrepresentation. Unfortunate it does not seem to bother others, but of course, that is why they are winning over minds and we are seeing swings in opinions. 

I haven't had time/ chance to focus for a longer reply, you mostly hit what I saw as the high points.

I very much hope there is follow-up so the complete set of facts are revealed, whatever they may be. Unfortunately, they will likely on get aired if it supports the initial slant.

We all seen things, have had experiences. Good and bad. What we choose to focus on,  says a bit.

While expected from media agenda, the thing that most surprised here was the support for the presumption of guilt before innocence. I like to think we still live in 'merica, where you are innocent before proven guilty. As naive as that is.  That ideal is one of the cornerstones for protection of all our rights, IMHO.