1st Bald Eagle

I know, pics or it did not happen, all I had was my flip phone. So no pics.

I was fishing yesterday afternoon at Vivrett boat ramp, no fishing luck. However I did watch something I had not seen in my 60 years. I was talking to a couple about the state of things. From behind me I heard a hawk squeal and squall, I look around and see a large black bird with a white head and tail chasing the smaller hawk.  As the pair got closer I was able to see the big bird better. I have seen my first Bald Eagle live! The Eagle was after the smaller hawk for a good 90 seconds (a guess). The hawk could turn faster but the eagle was faster in a straight line. after a bit the hawk dropped what I am guessing was a fish into the lake. The eagle broke off the chase and went and picked up the fish and the hawk went to chasing the eagle. They went off in a direct line away from me and I lost them in the trees. A Bald Eagle in Mt Juliet TN, I guess we are doing things right with the environment and all. I had a great afternoon of not catching fish.

I know about Bald Eagles out at Land Between the Lakes. To see one live here is something I had not seen in my 30 years of living in Mt Juliet or the 40 years of living in middle TN. Or my whole life.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Like 4

Seeing that this is a hunting forum, you scared me until I read the post.

I see them regularly at Cordell Hull and Barren River Reservoir. They are thick at Land Between the Lakes and at Reelfoot. I assumed they were also common down your way. I guess not. They are some big, neat birds to watch, aren’t they?

• Like 1
On 9/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, FrankD said:

My first reaction when I saw this post in the hunting/fishing section was that someone is about to get a visit from TWRA.

Yea, I clicked on it in hopes of finding a new recipe. I'm sorry but that's funny right there. BTW there are a bunch here on Dale Hollow, watched 1 back in the spring, but couldn't get a decent pic with my phone. I saw a show years back, it said look for the ball. Look in the tree's near rivers and lakes and look for the white baseball sized head of an adult. First one I spotted here on Dale, we were tooling around on the toon and sure enough I spotted the ball and it had a yearling chick with it which didn't have the white head.

There is getting to be so many on LBL that if you don't see any when out on a boat you're just not looking. I regularly see a half dozen without really trying. I have several pictures on my phone and you can tell it's a eagle but can't zoom in enough to get a really good picture. I really enjoy watching them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 2:18 PM, Dirtshooter said:

Yea, I clicked on it in hopes of finding a new recipe. I'm sorry but that's funny right there. BTW there are a bunch here on Dale Hollow, watched 1 back in the spring, but couldn't get a decent pic with my phone. I saw a show years back, it said look for the ball. Look in the tree's near rivers and lakes and look for the white baseball sized head of an adult. First one I spotted here on Dale, we were tooling around on the toon and sure enough I spotted the ball and it had a yearling chick with it which didn't have the white head.

Do they really taste like chicken?:D

• 3 months later...