Jump to content

Any Volkswagen Beetle fans out there?


gregintenn

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. I did my apprenticeship on VW aircooled flat fours when I was a kid (sonofa.......30 years ago) Sooooper simple to work on. The only mechanical thing that you absolutely HAVE to check,

Back in the mid '80s I picked up one of these that had already had the conversion done. It was nowhere as nice as this one but was a blast to drive. The only problem that I picked up on real fast was

Only the body, drivetrain, suspension, electrical and fuel systems ...   All of it ...   Not difficult, nor expensive to work on, which is a good thing because nothing will eve

Posted Images

My son dove in head first. He bought it in April and has pulled the motor twice and has pretty much rebuilt the whole thing. Everything he has replaced has been delivered to the door. My wife and I swiped it yesterday while he was at work. Runs like a top! I’m hooked.

0776BC14-2E67-48B1-8337-6E70CE96BA73.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
50 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’m found a ‘72 Super Beetle convertible for sale that has piqued my interest. Are there any inherent problems to look for in these little fellas?

I imagine if it's still on the road after all these years it probably a good one.  Many were not.

You'll want a copy of this if you get it.   https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
17 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

They’re fun, and they require constant tinkering. If you’re good with that, they’re a blast. 

I am somewhat a tinkerer. What, specifically requires a lot of maintenance?

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I am somewhat a tinkerer. What, specifically requires a lot of maintenance?

It’s just little things all the time. One week the carb will need adjusting. The next it will be the steering. The week after you’ll have a clutch and a valve adjustment the week after that. Nothing major, but if you don’t like working on a car, don’t buy an old bug. Expect it to be fluid leaky as well.

Honestly, I think that’s why most people usually sell their old bugs. They just get burned out in the tinkering.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’s just little things all the time. One week the carb will need adjusting. The next it will be the steering. The week after you’ll have a clutch and a valve adjustment the week after that. Nothing major, but if you don’t like working on a car, don’t buy an old bug. Expect it to be fluid leaky as well.

Honestly, I think that’s why most people usually sell their old bugs. They just get burned out in the tinkering.  

Thanks. That’s exactly the thing I was curious about. I’d probably get tired of that pretty fast. Are they particularly difficult to work on? They look pretty simple.

Link to post
  • Moderators

They’re not hard at all to work on. They’re simple all around, but we are talking a car that’s 47 years old. 

I’m not trying to turn you off of it at all, I’d be all over it personally. But everyone’s tolerances and tastes are different. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Moderators
Just now, Raoul said:

Well one good thing about Bugs is that if you ever roll it over onto it's top you can get out and flip it back over by yourself.

Yep. You can also do an engine swap by hand with no lift. 🤣

  • Like 4
Link to post
Just now, Chucktshoes said:

Yep. You can also do an engine swap by hand with no lift. 🤣

Had a 61 corvair, when I got it leaked like a bucket with holes. I’ll bet I took the engine out of it at least 20 times for one reason or another (mostly oil leaks). I finally got it to where I could drive it without worrying about leaving oil on someone’s driveway. Ran like a scalded dog. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Holly cow, you had a Ralph Nader "Unsafe at Any Speed" car. :panic:

That’s cool. :cool:

 

Yea and I actually tried to flip it and couldn’t do it. It was a fun little car. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

 Are there any inherent problems to look for in these little fellas?

Most people that drove VW’s smoked a lot of dope. Check the car carefully, but if you smell something burning; it’s probably just weed. Matter of fact you might want to have the local K-9 make a run around it. Other than that; you should be good to go. Not in any hurry of course.

  • Like 2
Link to post
11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Most people that drove VW’s smoked a lot of dope. Check the car carefully, but if you smell something burning; it’s probably just weed. Matter of fact you might want to have the local K-9 make a run around it. Other than that; you should be good to go. Not in any hurry of course.

Got a story you want to share?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
38 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

They’re not hard at all to work on. They’re simple all around, but we are talking a car that’s 47 years old. 

I’m not trying to turn you off of it at all, I’d be all over it personally. But everyone’s tolerances and tastes are different. 

Thanks. I’ve driven old cars in the past, and realize they require more maintenance than something built in this century. I’ve just never had anything German. It seems they often over complicate things.

 

It wouldn’t be daily transportation; just a toy.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Moderators
24 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

What was the old saying, "if there's no oil under it, there's no oil in it?"

Yep. It’s an accurate statement as well. 

“What’s the catbox in the garage for? I never took you for a cat person.” 

“It’s for my Bug. I park over it.”

Link to post

I guess they are unique but are there not more fun vehicles you could buy for the money? Years ago I dated a girl who's mom had an old restored bug. It was fun to drive for about 15 minutes. 

In the 4 years I dated her I was the only person that I saw drive it. It sat in their garage collecting dust.

Edited by Erik88
Link to post
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I guesd they are unique but are there not more fun vehicles you could buy for the money? Years ago I dated a girl who's mom had an old restored bug. It was fun to drive for about 15 minutes. 

In the 4 years I dated her I was the only person that I saw drive it. It sat in their garage collecting dust.

I reckon Greg is old enough to appreciate the fun in the simplicity and basicness of a VW.  The only complaint I ever had with them is the stick shift is a bit on the short side.  A couple of more inches taller would be nice.

I drove a ‘70 Type III (Squareback) in college.  Would love to have it back.  Was a great car that didn’t leak oil.

 Dave, I had a deadhead sticker on it.  :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post

My brother had one when we were growing up, he was living with grandmom, and I was living with my sister (dad had fell off a construction site (ironworker) and broke his back). Took a while to heal. 

 

Anyway i I saw my brother pull into my aunts yard driving the ugliest bug I had ever seen, complete with wheelie bars in to rear. Never saw a bug that needed wheelie bars before that day, I was young 11 or 12, hadn’t seen him in a while and the first thing out of my young dumb mouth was where’d you get the pregnant roller skate” never saw anyone go from cool and laid back to wide open mad that quick. 

He jumped into that car, pulled out on the road and rode a wheelie for over 250 ft. No sure exactly how far he could have rode it but had to get off because the road ended. 

 

Come me to find out he had the biggest engine and it had been worked on and it was so hot running he was buying tires at least once a month, partly because he couldn’t stop showing out with it.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.