Any Volkswagen Beetle fans out there?

gregintenn

4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

What about an older Jeep Wrangler? You'll still have a slow, unreliable, convertible but at least you'll be able to take it places the Bug won't go. I've always wanted a Wrangler. I believe they are very easy to work on at least. 

I've no interest in a Jeep, but thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

My dad had an MGB GT model when I was a kid.  Some of my earliest memories are of riding around in the back of that thing listening to Abraxas on 8-track. It was just like this one:

1970_MG_MGB_GT_Nuclear_Pumpkin_Paul_Brow

I bet your dad's hand built one is a fun car.

aU1HG4g.jpg

Dad's car.

Edited by gregintenn
7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

What about an older Jeep Wrangler? You'll still have a slow, unreliable, convertible but at least you'll be able to take it places the Bug won't go. I've always wanted a Wrangler. I believe they are very easy to work on at least. 

thats what im looking for!

vw1.jpeg

vw2.jpg

vw3.jpg

vw4.jpg

Edited by luke9511
  • Like 2
On 9/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, gregintenn said:

No, man! I'm open for suggestions. I just want a toy, but the wife also has to agree to it. I've always valued your opinion. If you think it's a bad idea, I wanted to hear it. Better now than after the fact.

It's $8950. While that seems like a lot in a way, I haven't seen any nice ones in that price range. I thought I could probably part with it next spring and come out all right if I didn't like it.

What are your intentions with the bug if I may ask ? Before I make a suggestion for the $9k investment it would be nice to know what you and the wife plan on doing in it.

14 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

What are your intentions with the bug if I may ask ? Before I make a suggestion for the $9k investment it would be nice to know what you and the wife plan on doing in it.

I'd like to drive it occasionally, and get her more proficient with a manual transmission. Probably sell it in a few years when the kids get grown and buy a bike.

Hopefully, she'd drive it some and discover that she likes old cars? Probably not.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

Wow.

I did my apprenticeship on VW aircooled flat fours when I was a kid (sonofa.......30 years ago)

Sooooper simple to work on. The only mechanical thing that you absolutely HAVE to check, literally every time you drive it, is the oil level. The oil pan is very wide, very long & very, very shallow. The gap between 'full' & 'top up' is tiny. If it's a hair below 'minimum' on the stick, it WILL seize & throw a rod. I couldn't get The Wife to understand that & replaced 2 1300s & a 1600 Super motor before I sold her '75 out from under her. She honest to God killed 2 in 6 months. 

Heater exchange elements tend to crap out before anything else (assuming U.S. Spec vee-dubs are the same as UK spec) but they're a simple job to replace. 

Which engine's in the ragtop you're looking at? I ask, because the cases ate slightly stronger on the 1200 than the 13 or 16s. They're slower by quite a bit than the 1600, but there's not a chance in hell I'd buy a 13 over a 12.

If you ever need to work on it, it's much easier to drop the motor out than work around the body. 8 bolts to the bell housing, fuel line, alternator/generator (I don't recall the changeover year, sorry) wiring & throttle cables & you're basically good to go. Jack the motor off the mounts, pull it back, drop it down then pick the chassis up & walk it forward. I reckon it'd take me a couple of hours these days, but when I was doing it for a living, me & Vince (Jesus... I just remembered his name!) had it down to about a half hour to do a complete motor swap!

• Like 5

If you get into bugs, subscribe to Mustie1 on youtube.   

I've recently gotten into them a bit.  I've been wanting to build a bug based trike.   A rusted out crapbox will be a fine donor but I just haven't run across the right car.   

Formula Vee cars are also a good bit of fun.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

If you get into bugs, subscribe to Mustie1 on youtube.   

I've recently gotten into them a bit.  I've been wanting to build a bug based trike.   A rusted out crapbox will be a fine donor but I just haven't run across the right car.   

Formula Vee cars are also a good bit of fun.  

i am also subscribed to mustie1 and cant praise his videos enough!

22 hours ago, robtattoo said:

Wow.

I did my apprenticeship on VW aircooled flat fours when I was a kid (sonofa.......30 years ago)

Sooooper simple to work on. The only mechanical thing that you absolutely HAVE to check, literally every time you drive it, is the oil level. The oil pan is very wide, very long & very, very shallow. The gap between 'full' & 'top up' is tiny. If it's a hair below 'minimum' on the stick, it WILL seize & throw a rod. I couldn't get The Wife to understand that & replaced 2 1300s & a 1600 Super motor before I sold her '75 out from under her. She honest to God killed 2 in 6 months. 

Heater exchange elements tend to crap out before anything else (assuming U.S. Spec vee-dubs are the same as UK spec) but they're a simple job to replace. 

Which engine's in the ragtop you're looking at? I ask, because the cases ate slightly stronger on the 1200 than the 13 or 16s. They're slower by quite a bit than the 1600, but there's not a chance in hell I'd buy a 13 over a 12.

If you ever need to work on it, it's much easier to drop the motor out than work around the body. 8 bolts to the bell housing, fuel line, alternator/generator (I don't recall the changeover year, sorry) wiring & throttle cables & you're basically good to go. Jack the motor off the mounts, pull it back, drop it down then pick the chassis up & walk it forward. I reckon it'd take me a couple of hours these days, but when I was doing it for a living, me & Vince (Jesus... I just remembered his name!) had it down to about a half hour to do a complete motor swap!

I’m supposed to go look at it tomorrow evening. Don’t know about the engine yet.

It should have a 1600, right?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

The paint was fading and the body prep work was less than desirable, so I left it there.

It is a shame, as everything was there and in good working condition. No rust. Didn’t appear to have been wrecked.

Thanks for all the advice and information!

and they were asking 8grand? if the paint was good etc maybe 8 but with the paint i would say 3500

A couple years ago I had the retired "wild Hair" itch for the ride into the sunset years. After a lot of thought & research, I chose the Gen 2 Lincoln Mark VIII. Only about 30,000 Gen 2's made.  Its a car that will need some amateur tinkering for sure but well worth it. 300hp under the hood is very easy to bump up from its 280 base model / 290 LSC model. I'v put 7k miles on my 97 base so far and love the car. I have the only one around! Factory 8 JBL surround sound speakers with factory 120 Watt amp is first rate with a aftermarket dbl din head unit.  3.02 gearing = 93mph @ 2500 revs and 23 mpg high way to boot!  On this link, the top ten "How Too" entries are mine under MARK VIII.  Next move is a true 2.5" SS dual exhaust install this winter.

https://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/ams/

Obviously its nothing like the rag top Beetle, but Iv found everything I want in a personal car with the Mark. For what its worth, Iv owned a 2000 VW Golf, 2001 Jetta, 2003 Beetle, 2005 Passat. All of them Diesels. Take away, Real diesels have timing chains. I wouldn't own another VW these days. Good Luck finding one that satisfies that new car itch! :) 

• Like 1