reloads and affect on POA/POI

Hello.

I recently picked up a Dan Wesson CBob (Classic bobtail) in 45ACP.  I tried my typicaly 200 Gr + 4.0 gr of Bullseye.  That load has been consistently accurate out of other 1911s and Sig p220s.  On the Dan Wesson, while groups can cover a playing card, POI is consistenly about 3 inches high.  At 7-10 years, they are about 1-2 inches high.    I'm shooting with a sandbag.    I'm curious on a few things...

My loads are light; do light loads tend to shift POI higher?  

I read that light bullets print lower; I wonder if I make some 185s and see if that makes a difference.  Are DW 1911 barrels better with different bullet weights?

My mistake is I did not bring any factory rounds; I'll try that next week.  

Any feedback or lessons would be appreciated.  Thank you.

I do ladder loads, as little as .2 grains or as much as .5 grains using the same wgt. cast boolits and compare the results. Surprising how much difference .2 grs can make. I always keep the same seating depth and the same crimp. Every gun[barrel] has a sweet spot, just have to find it. 

• Like 2

Also let me add that there's a difference between target ammo and SD ammo. When I'm filling a box and it's target ammo I'm loading,  I'm most interested in dependability and functionality.

With the SD ammo I'm loading I tweak the load to my carry weapon for dependability , functionality and accuracy.

• Like 1

yes, slower handgun loads will typically hit higher (up to a certain point).  If you want a lower POI, you can increase velocity.

To me, the better course of action is find a load that you like and that your gun shoots well, then either get a different height front sight or an adjustable rear. 

Increased velocity and/or lighter projectiles generally make the bullet impact lower in a handgun. This is backward from a rifle. 

I believe the reduced dwell time the bullet has in the barrel means it exists before the muzzle has a chance to rise as much as it does with a slower projectile with more dwell time. This doesn't seem to be a big factor in rifles. I'm not sure if it's because a rifle bullet has a lower dwell time, or a rifle has less muzzle rise. I suspect the latter is the bigger factor.

• Like 1

I shoot bullseye pistol every week and one our shooters uses the same load as the OP, a 200 grain LSWC and 4 grains of bullseye and consistently scores in the black of a 25 yard slow fire pistol target. He is shooting a Colt gold cup with adjustable rear sight.

Bill

15 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

I shoot bullseye pistol every week and one our shooters uses the same load as the OP, a 200 grain LSWC and 4 grains of bullseye and consistently scores in the black of a 25 yard slow fire pistol target. He is shooting a Colt gold cup with adjustable rear sight.

Bill

I shall try this in my Gold Cup.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, BCR#1 said:

Bill

Yep, this is my go to load.  Super accurate; I love it.  By the way, it works well with 185 SWC too.  

Update: So.. I guess Dan Wesson 1911s are known to have the wrong front sight once in a while.  I contacted them, they asked for some targets and the slide.  I got it back in about 2 weeks.  It shoots right where I point it now.  Happy camper. 

• Like 2