We should never forget. 9-11-01

Dirtshooter

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Yes, some things you don’t forget. We all came together and were a nation united for a time. Sadly we aren’t anymore.

True, Dave. It's a shame that we have to get our collective asses kicked to bring the country together. WW1, WW11, 9-11.  What's next?

11 minutes ago, Raoul said:

But isn't that what makes America? All are welcome and all are different.

E pluribus unum

To a point yes but when you welcome someone into your country to live and prosper that does not give them the right to attack it and try to kill the people that welcomed you in............JMHO

I remember exactly what I was doing when the first plane hit the tower. I was fishing and listening to the radio in the boat when the news broke and by the time the second plane hit I was on the trailer and heading for home. I was pulling in my yard when they said the 3rd plane had crashed in a field.

(Defender) has a good point about it happening again. Those same people have not given up on destroying us. They just are waiting for the right time and the right target..........JMHO

• Like 1

I was in a commercial airline over Detroit, the ground stop had just happened, planes lined up on the taxiway but none leaving. Even security at the airport had not been told. the CNN on the monitors were showing the first tower strike. The second strike occurred as I left the airport. I drove back to Nashville the next day in a rental car. If I had not already gotten it I probably would have been stranded there for a week.

• Admin Team

I don't know.

I'd love to forget it.  

I'd love to not feel the sense of guilt when it comes around every year because I got to go home that day when a bunch of other folks didn't.

I'd love to not feel the sense of dread about having to make sense of explaining what happened to my kids - and I'd love to not have to watch them struggle with the realization that really, the only reason I'm still here is a few minutes worth of luck.

A bunch of us would love to close our eyes at night and not remember - or maybe at least not in so much detail. Or all the things that have come after.

I'd love it if one of our nation's biggest tragedies hadn't become our surest and most marketable means of displaying your patriotism and civil religion.

I'd love it if we hadn't followed the loss of 2,977 American lives with the loss 2,400 people in Afghanistan and 4,400 people in Iraq - with no more idea of what victory on the battlefield looks like than we had 18 years ago.

I'd love it if the average American actually had any connection to this never ending war.

I'd love it if we treated all the vets we've created and their families with the integrity they deserve when they get out.

I'd love it if we lived up to the best version of ourselves - that our nation has no permanent enemies.  That like Japan and Germany, you can go from bitter enemy to most important trading partners in a generation.

I'd love it if I could get on an airplane without having to take my shoes off in the name of security theater.  For that matter, I'd like to clip my Spyderrco back to my pocket after going through the metal detector like I did on the morning of September 10, 2001.

But, to each their own, I guess.  It's America after all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was in an elevator at a Sandals resort in Jamaica going downstairs to check on my fiancee's wedding dress.  A guy told me about the first tower.  I went upstairs and turned on the TV and was getting dressed when the second plane hit.  I got married a couple hours later.  Happy 18th Anniversary to us.  

Edited by deerslayer
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I don't know.

I'd love to forget it.  

I'd love to not feel the sense of guilt when it comes around every year because I got to go home that day when a bunch of other folks didn't.

I'd love to not feel the sense of dread about having to make sense of explaining what happened to my kids - and I'd love to not have to watch them struggle with the realization that really, the only reason I'm still here is a few minutes worth of luck.

A bunch of us would love to close our eyes at night and not remember - or maybe at least not in so much detail. Or all the things that have come after.

I'd love it if one of our nation's biggest tragedies hadn't become our surest and most marketable means of displaying your patriotism and civil religion.

I'd love it if we hadn't followed the loss of 2,977 American lives with the loss 2,400 people in Afghanistan and 4,400 people in Iraq - with no more idea of what victory on the battlefield looks like than we had 18 years ago.

I'd love it if the average American actually had any connection to this never ending war.

I'd love it if we treated all the vets we've created and their families with the integrity they deserve when they get out.

I'd love it if we lived up to the best version of ourselves - that our nation has no permanent enemies.  That like Japan and Germany, you can go from bitter enemy to most important trading partners in a generation.

I'd love it if I could get on an airplane without having to take my shoes off in the name of security theater.  For that matter, I'd like to clip my Spyderrco back to my pocket after going through the metal detector like I did on the morning of September 10, 2001.

But, to each their own, I guess.  It's America after all.

GOD had plans for you my friend. If you have not figured out yet what it is you will. I would say if you have to talk with your children about that day 18 years ago you have already recieved some of what GOD had in mind for you. I'm sure as time moves on you can bet your children are going to be very glad you got to leave those few minutes early. GOD does move in very mysterious ways my friend. Just feel blessed and not guilty every night when you lay your head on the pillow. I don't think GOD had guilt on his mind that day for you. 

• Admin Team

I watched Jon Stewart in tears on September 20, 2001:

I watched him again in tears earlier this summer:

The official FDNY response time on the morning of September 11 was five seconds.  

From that moment through months in the red zone - you saw people giving their absolute all, everyday. For their comrades and for America.

It took your breath away. Every. Single. Day. It humbled you every time you set foot there.

Man, we've lost so many good people since then.

There are so many empty chairs around dinner tables tonight.

I'm thankful for people like Jon Stewart who have put real legs under "Never Forget" for the last 18 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was watching the news last evening and was thrilled to see how many teachers were doing things with their students to allow them to ask questions and many of them actually took their classes to Washington DC to the 9/11 Memorial and other places that are related to that day. They said that their students need to know about it even though most of them were not even born then. There are many children still losing family members. Fathers are still being claimed even today from events that happened that day that spent many days working at the site of the towers. Prayers should be said every night for those brave men and women that gave it all and still are giving to this day.........JMHO   

Yea Doug, our pastor told us last night of lots of teachers teaching the kids what went on that day. We had a special prayer meeting just for the families of all the victims in planes, fire fighters, police, EMT, port authority, those in the towers etc. And it is true that more people have died since 9-11-01 because of all the toxic dust they breathed. There could be close to 100,000 before it is said and done. My son and daughter-in-law were married 9-11-99 and said many times wished it had been on another day. If it had been left to me the pictures of those planes going into the towers and that cloud of dust would be played on every network at 6a.m., 6 p.m. and midnight so that nobody would ever forget. This isn't like Hillary's "what difference does it make" statement. It does matter. Did anyone hear that the New York Times posted that 9-11 was due to planes flying into the towers. Never mentioned that a bunch of terrorist's were at the wheel. Unbelievable!! But at this point and time, nothing surprises me anymore. And speaking of Hillary, when is she going to jail???????

5 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Yea Doug, our pastor told us last night of lots of teachers teaching the kids what went on that day. We had a special prayer meeting just for the families of all the victims in planes, fire fighters, police, EMT, port authority, those in the towers etc. And it is true that more people have died since 9-11-01 because of all the toxic dust they breathed. There could be close to 100,000 before it is said and done. My son and daughter-in-law were married 9-11-99 and said many times wished it had been on another day. If it had been left to me the pictures of those planes going into the towers and that cloud of dust would be played on every network at 6a.m., 6 p.m. and midnight so that nobody would ever forget. This isn't like Hillary's "what difference does it make" statement. It does matter. Did anyone hear that the New York Times posted that 9-11 was due to planes flying into the towers. Never mentioned that a bunch of terrorist's were at the wheel. Unbelievable!! But at this point and time, nothing surprises me anymore. And speaking of Hillary, when is she going to jail???????

I have several pictures of the planes striking the towers store on my computer and I thought about posting them but I think anyone and everyone that was alive back then remembers what they saw. I use them to show my grandchildren and explain to them what happened that day is why 9/11 is so important to the American people. And when I talk to them I tell them who was flying those planes that day because here recently it has been said that some people are trying to get the American people who these people where and what their goal was and still is.

There is an elected official that has gone to great length to try and make us forget who was flying those planes and it was brought up at a ceremony yesterday!

Speaker at 9/11 Ceremony Questions Muslim Congresswoman's Patriotism

A speaker at New York City's Sept. 11 commemoration ceremony on Wednesday assailed U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar, a Muslim member of Congress, over her recent "some people did something" reference to 9/11. Nicholas Haros, whose mother was killed when al-Qaida hijackers flew planes into the World Trade Center in 2001, said, "Our constitutional freedoms were attacked, and our nation's founding on Judeo-Christian principles was attacked. That's what 'some people' did. Got that now?" 

• Like 2