Disappointed with Knoxville candidates answers

Reading this story in this morning's news, I find it very disheartening that the city council and mayoral candidates for the city of Knoxville are so quick to infringe upon our rights which are supposed to be sacrosanct as defined in the Second Amendment of our constitution.  I understand the candidates were all likely pandering to some degree to the views of the person asking the questions, but still...if I were living in Knoxville and could cast my vote there, none of these candidates would receive a vote from me.  Although I realize Knoxville harbors a more liberal population than less metropolitan areas of Tennessee, it distresses me to see this erosion of values taking place.  Seems like we are losing more than we are winning.

Knoxville city council, mayoral candidates answer questions on gun violence

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/559997761.html

I made the same post on the Knoxville section of the City Data relocation forum I'm on.  Those who commented and apparently reside in Knoxville make clear that they are looking forward to sweeping changes with their remarks that "Walmart was just the start."

Although corporate policy is dictated from far away from Tennessee, I hope the attitudes of most of the Tennessee population are not so welcoming of 2A restrictions as the people in Knoxville apparently are. :(

Let this be a reminder to everyone in all municipalities.  The City of Knoxville is by no means some republican stronghold, it is actually fairly liberal government-wise as are ALL metro areas in the country.  Even though Knoxville city elections are “non-partisan”, it is clear where most of the candidates stand.

The lesson is that democrats are turning out in droves.  Liberal activists are out in force and are running for office.  This is all a direct result of Trump being elected.  Democrats are more organized and driven now than they every have been.

Keep an eye out on what’s happening in your local governments and go out and vote.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Knoxville, like all other TN cities, cannot enact any gun laws beyond discharge of firearms, location/existence of shooting ranges, and carry by employees/contractors.

(edit: all three are already prohibited)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’d venture to say that in the grand scheme of things, what takes place on the local level is of far more import than what happens in Washington. 

There’s no question about that.  Sadly, far too many don’t realize it. Local governments have far more control over our daily lives than the feds.

Something along the lines of less than 20% of registered voters bothered to participate in the primaries.  That was a massive turnout for Knoxville.

Edited by Garufa
8 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Knoxville, like all other TN cities, cannot enact any gun laws beyond discharge of firearms, location/existence of shooting ranges, and carry by employees/contractors.

- OS

True, but they can shutdown gun shows at Chilhowee “Park” at their whim.  Just like when they decided it is not actually a park.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Democrats are more organized and driven now than they every have been. Keep an eye out on what’s happening in your local governments and go out and vote.

Amen. And I don’t think we have yet seen the Democrat that will be running against Trump. But you can bet they will be getting every person they can to the polls; they will be voting early and voting often.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

True, but they can shutdown gun shows at Chilhowee “Park” at their whim.  Just like when they decided it is not actually a park.

THIS will be the first thing they do if for nothing more than shock and awe. Anti gun folk have preached this with "common sense" at the front and end of each paragraph. Geeze that phrase is getting old 🙄

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

THIS will be the first thing they do if for nothing more than shock and awe. Anti gun folk have preached this with "common sense" at the front and end of each paragraph. Geeze that phrase is getting old 🙄

As mentioned in the news report, that's high on the agenda of these candidates.  It will be something they will be able to accomplish easily and quickly.

54 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

As mentioned in the news report, that's high on the agenda of these candidates.  It will be something they will be able to accomplish easily and quickly.

It happened in Nashville. I feel like my country is squeezing  folks like me out, little by little.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It happened in Nashville. I feel like my country is squeezing  folks like me out, little by little.

Erosion of 2A rights in Florida is one of the reasons I am planning a move to Tennessee.  Not that long ago the knee jerk Florida State congress passed legislation which then Governor Scott signed making it illegal for anyone between the ages of 18-20 to purchase a firearm.  Handgun, long gun, doesn't matter.  If you're not 21 years old in Florida it is against the law to purchase a firearm from a FFL or a private party.  They can own a gun.  A firearm may be gifted to them, but they would be breaking the law if they purchase a firearm.

This year there is a big push to get an assault weapons ban on the ballot to be considered by voters.  

17 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

Erosion of 2A rights in Florida is one of the reasons I am planning a move to Tennessee.  Not that long ago the knee jerk Florida State congress passed legislation which then Governor Scott signed making it illegal for anyone between the ages of 18-20 to purchase a firearm.  Handgun, long gun, doesn't matter.  If you're not 21 years old in Florida it is against the law to purchase a firearm from a FFL or a private party.  They can own a gun.  A firearm may be gifted to them, but they would be breaking the law if they purchase a firearm.

This year there is a big push to get an assault weapons ban on the ballot to be considered by voters.  

That's sad. Rick Scott was supposedly a rock rib conservative.

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

That was the day I stopped paying attention to CNN...or was it the day they had endless helicopter coverage of a van carrying a tree stump to FBI HQ that the DC shooters might have used for target practice. 

Just not enough meat to justify 24 hours of noise. When I first started hearing the rumblings about 24 hour news, I knew what it was gonna be.

Well, finally some one (NY's Gov) is doing something constructive!

"Governor Cuomo talked about the provision on Rochester public radio station WXXI Wednesday, with Connections host Megan Mack.  “Just to show you what it's accomplished, we now have 100,000 seriously mentally ill people on the mental health database that could have bought a gun in New York, Megan, who can't now buy a gun because we have a mental health database,” Cuomo said.  "

Should end up as the state with the largest group of unarmed Democrats. :)

• Haha 1

Apparently the city of Knoxville is getting ready to vote on this. It seems the elected officials are all in favor. I encourage all of you, even if you do not live in Knoxville, to contact the Knoxville elected officials and express your displeasure with the move. 

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Knoxville-city-council-considers-banning-gun-shows-from-city-owned-facilities-560769971.html

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, billyblazes said:

Apparently the city of Knoxville is getting ready to vote on this. It seems the elected officials are all in favor. I encourage all of you, even if you do not live in Knoxville, to contact the Knoxville elected officials and express your displeasure with the move. 

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Knoxville-city-council-considers-banning-gun-shows-from-city-owned-facilities-560769971.html

I believe that passed, more & more anti's in local .g0v.