NASCAR Banning Some Gun Ads

Garufa

“NASCAR rejected advertisements for its souvenir programs from multiple firearms companies earlier this summer as part of what is being seen as a "gradual shift" in its position on guns. 

The move may be another example of how major companies are adjusting as the nation grapples with guns in America....”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/13/politics/nascar-bans-gun-ads-souvenir-program/index.html

• Moderators

I’ve said it, and I know others have said it. If you want to get to the bottom of the reason for the change, look around at all the other sponsors. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of them don’t want their logos featured next to those of manufacturers of “assault weapons” or other scary guns. 

I’d bet serious cash that folks like Coca-Cola, FedEx, or the big banks said “put our logo next to something like that and you’ll never see another dollar from us.”

• Like 2

NASCAR died with Dale Earhart sr. They have been going down hill since he died and have been changing to all these crazy points races games. I quit watching them the year after Kyle Busch won the points chanpionship after coming back from that bad wreck in Daytona in the opening race and missing the first 7-8 races. NASCAR threw him a bone and said he could still run for the Championship and he did and won and that was my last year watching them. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering if it was a calculated risk of some kind.   Nascar is desperate if you go by the lack of fans in the stands at races.   I looked them NASCAR  up on  2ndvote.com  and they support groups that are for religious liberty and the support groups that are against religious liberty.   Trying to appease both sides. Not make anybody mad.   As we all know that is difficult to do.

Morgan88

I used to be a fairly avid Nascar fan, back when Bill Elliot and Dale Sr. were bumping and running for the checkered flag. Back before every dadgummed thing was political like Garufa said. Most folks would need a 2nd job to buy tickets to a race, it has evolved into a white collar sport from it's infancy as a blue collar sport. Kind of like restrictor plates, it is like being on I-40 with all the cars on cruise control, about like watching paint dry. If I lived within 1 mile of Bristol or Talladega I wouldn't go to a race with free tickets. Same goes for the NFL, NBA, MLB, sort of comforting they all have 3 letters huh?? I would rather go see a dirt track race, or 12 year old baseball players any day. Nascar can shut the doors, on most track they could build a nice fishing hole with a little bit of imagination  and some structure added.