Correct, wanting to do a SBR and a Can, I want to be able to allow it to pass to the family. I understand that without a trust, if my wife was to handle it to even turn it in to LEO she would be breaking the law. A trust would as I understand it, allow for my wife and family to still it keep it legally.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I wonder if anyone, anywhere, ever, that has a written trust, has been told their trust wasn’t legally correct and their weapons seized?

https://www.guntrustguru.com/faqs

Scroll down and you'll see where a woman in TX had a self prepared revocable trust declared invalid (aka not worth the paper used).  Does not mention any weapons being seized.

Also states that the ATF has not questioned the validity of any gun trusts, but don't know how recent the info in this link is.  The ATF cannot just "declare" a trust invalid, only a court of law could make that determination.

The author also seems to create some confusion with his wording of "revocable living trust" and a NFA gun trust interchangeably.  In my mind, the two should not be used in this manner.  A revocable living trust is a legal document just like the NFA gun trust is, but the two have totally different objectives IMO.  The two have similar powers, terminology and objectives, and could be created/controlled under one document but only a well versed estate planning attorney familiar with ATF regs should be consulted if this is desired.  A "canned" or boilerplate trust document from an online source  would create some interesting legal issues IMO.  

I would use separate lawyers for each purpose but make sure both lawyers are aware of my intentions, so things would be laid out as I desired. 

• Like 1