Colt is making a comeback..

lock n' load

They made the choice to turn their back on the civilian market. I had several Colts when they were still available. I’m sorry I sold my Pythons, but only because of what they are worth now. The Python would probably be a good seller. You will always have those that claim no company can make anything like they did back in the day. But they could make the Python better if they wanted to.

They would have their work cut out for them in the 1911 market. Plenty of high end power players there, and Colt lost that market long ago. But its possible they could up their game.

9 hours ago, Whisper said:

Judging from their recent comments about not selling any more ARs, it seems to me they have no interest in being in the gun business.

They aren't done, rather change focus. However I think some of it is smoke and mirrors based on cash flow and recent quality issues . They know they can sell as many Socoms as they make, but the 1 guy who works customer service (says something right there) will tell you how many pissed off calls he gets daily about their cost cutting.

The recent issues in long guns seem to come from bidding out to lower cost contractors whose machining quality is no where near what it was 5+ years ago, and short cutting build quality. An example I've seen on recent M4's with bad extensions was they ground down the lugs versus re-barrel or swap the extension to save a few bucks.

That said, I think, and hope for their sake, the pause is to re-examine their business model and production, fixing what is broken and improving the component quality (going back to old subs?). In that, looking at what re-introduced models are working and focus on that. The snake guns are a good call..

Current offerings are more about the name and history, if they dont hit quality on the new snake guns. that will get out to bite them ;)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Moped said:

It doesn't look anything like the Old King Cobra, sadly.  This one reminds me of a upgraded Charter Arms. I do not like the contours.

NKC.jpg

OKC.jpg

I handled one the other day and was impressed.  They also recently released a 4” adjustable sight version similar to the one of 30 years ago.  I shoot autos, but have a soft spot for wheelguns.  Reviews of the new snake guns have been positive.  I think Colt is on the right track. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

The original revolver lock works requires meticulous hand fitting. I'm not sure if they changed the internals but it would be tuff to find quality hi volume assembly personnel for the original design. Labor hours per gun in CT did the revolvers in. S&W's single hammer leaf spring was way, way simpler and easier to flow the assembly line than the multi function V leaf in the Colts.

1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

Letter from RSR.

RSR Colt.jpg

If you follow that, the guy who sent it has axed, and it was clarified that is a temporary hold while they get their feces together. That guy was trying to drum up some sales...forgetting you never ever put anything in writing that may end up on the interwebs. 

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Letter from RSR.

RSR Colt.jpg

This letter is evidence of something David and I were talking about yesterday.  

A lot of the gun industry’s woes are self-inflicted by a bunch of folks who work in it opening their mouths when they’d be better off just keeping them shut. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

A lot of the gun industry’s woes are self-inflicted by a bunch of folks who work in it opening their mouths when they’d be better off just keeping them shut. 

That is truly sad. Sorry for my contribution to that. Feel free to delete as necessary, Mac.

• Admin Team
37 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

That is truly sad. Sorry for my contribution to that. Feel free to delete as necessary, Mac.

No, you're fine Mikey.  This spread far and wide.  It's worth a thread.

Even if it's not true - it makes you question why you'd trust a rep like that in the first place.

• Thanks 2

FWIW, this came out about a week ago on that black rifle site, where they clarified what that is. That item Steelharp posted is in the first post (from an earlier rush to judgement from 'The Truth About Guns'. Along with the following from industry person:

"so, word is its a slow down for 60 days the guy at RSR has supposedly been fired for sending out that email and colt has told RSR to release a statement on that. waiting to see when and if that happens.

Im hearing they are have orders for civilian production for this November with a big push for more of the SOCOM models"

I'd recommend clarification in the title to indicate that this is temporary so we can cut down on the unnecessary panic and condemnation of Colt for permanently discontinuing civilian AR sales, which they are apparently not doing.

Quote 2:

Colt is, in fact, filling a number of contracts at the moment. The RSR representative apparently didn't quite understand what he was being told and TTAG, the bunch of click-baity jagoffs that they are, failed to do any followup.

Colt is apparently so short handed in filling some military contracts they have right now that they are dedicating personnel and production resources to filling those contracts. They are not leaving the civilian market.

So put down the pitchforks.

Really ts a good thing for them to get their house in order judging from the declining quality of the product (alluded to with low staff and outrageous turnaround times). I am not inclined on buying another Colt rifle until I see they return the quality they were at least 5 years ago.

Edited by Erich
On 9/17/2019 at 2:53 PM, Erich said:

…….Really ts a good thing for them to get their house in order judging from the declining quality of the product (alluded to with low staff and outrageous turnaround times). I am not inclined on buying another Colt rifle until I see they return the quality they were at least 5 years ago.

My last Colt rifle purchase was six years ago.  It was the kind of quality one would expect from a company with their history.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:17 PM, MacGyver said:

• A lot of the gun industry’s communities' woes are self-inflicted by a bunch of folks who work in belong to it opening their mouths when they’d be better off just keeping them shut. 

FIFY

• Like 1