Speaker Kent Williams speaks out on new gun proposals

Speaker Kent Williams aint sounding so good on some of this:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TN_XGR_LEGISLATURE_BEGINS_TNOL-?SITE=TNKIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2009-02-08-12-51-49

Williams, who is a member of the National Rifle Association, said he supports efforts to allow handguns to be carried in state parks - but not in city parks.

"I don't think we need anyone with handguns in city parks," he said. "There's too much of a criminal element involved, especially in some of the big cities."

The speaker is also hesitant about a measure to allow handguns to be carried into restaurants where alcohol is served. Currently, handguns are only allowed in restaurants where no alcohol is available.

"That's a tough one," said Williams, who owns a restaurant in Elizabethton that doesn't serve alcohol.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

Well, he's been kicked out of the GOP today.

I just hope this asshat doesn't step down as Speaker so Neifeh can claim the seat again.

I'm sure he thinks if restaurant carry is legalized, his restaurant will lose some business to the competition.

"I don't think we need anyone with handguns in city parks," he said. "There's too much of a criminal element involved, especially in some of the big cities."

do these types of people actually listen to what they are saying?

Lets see, there are criminal types in city parks so we should not allow law abiding citizens to defend themselves. But there is not much crime in state parks so self defense is okay there. What a screwball.

Lets see, there are criminal types in city parks so we should not allow law abiding citizens to defend themselves. But there is not much crime in state parks so self defense is okay there. What a screwball.

Above average intelligence is not a requirement to hold elective office in the State of Tennessee.

Guest bkelm18
For me the big ? is whether he will let bills come to the floor for a vote as opposed to Naifeh who would block floor votes.

Time will tell, my friend. Time will tell.

That is the first think I thought. Thats a stupid statement. Theres so much crime we dont want the good guy carrying a gun.

It is a time proven fact that politicians by nature do not listen to anything they say. But then again politicians have never cared about the average law abiding person, because they are too busy making nice to the special interest groups, and too busy worrying about the rights of the criminal instead of the rights of the law abiding citizen, but hey, who cares about us?

Dear God...please tell me that I misunderstood something I heard on the news. Tell me I'm wrong. Is it true that Obama is going to appoint Phil Bredesen to replace Daschle, leaving Kent Williams as our new Governor??

That's the word around the campfire.

Guest JeepMonkey

I heard on WIVK that Bredesen wasn't interested and probably wouldn't take the job if Obama offered it. Bredesen said Obama's plans were too socialized for his liking. If that's not the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is...

Dear God...please tell me that I misunderstood something I heard on the news. Tell me I'm wrong. Is it true that Obama is going to appoint Phil Bredesen to replace Daschle, leaving Kent Williams as our new Governor??

I did hear that Phil Bredesen was on Obama's short list for a Health and Human Services thing. It was down to him or the governor from Kansas, and she'd stated a month or so ago that she did not want to leave her current position.

Uhh no! You are wrong. If Bredesen left office Ron Ramsey, the Lt. Governor, would become the Governor. Kent Williams would remain Speaker of the House.

Uhh no! You are wrong. If Bredesen left office Ron Ramsey, the Lt. Governor, would become the Governor. Kent Williams would remain Speaker of the House.
Whew...I can now breath again, for now.
Correct.

Yep....could almost be a good thing maybe....