NRA leadership, just as obtuse and opaque as any .gov

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/1-of-5-million-a-single-member-attends-day-one-of-the-nra-board-meetings/

Shame on me for not attending and attempting what Rob is doing.

Shame on the NRA for continuing to hide their actions from members with smoke, mirrors, and closed executive session.

Should we start supporting these folks?

www.ccrkba.org

Citizens Committee to Keep and Bear Arms

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Moped said:

I think they are scared of losing their cushy jobs. 🤬

I know they are scared of losing them. I will probably receive a bunch of flak for this comment, but as my wife has told me I don't know when to shut up sometimes. I was an NRA member for many years, but I kind of saw between the lines, all a member is to them is membership dues dollars and a contact to ask for more free money. Kind of the way I feel about politicians, for years the Dems and Repubs have been pointing fingers at the other saying it's their fault, basically batting the ball back forth like a game of badmitton. And we taxpayers are paying for them to "play". I feel the NRA has been doing the same thing to an extent. You know what they always say, follow the money. If there is a big pile of money, somebody is trying to figure out how to skim more than their fare share.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I know they are scared of losing them. I will probably receive a bunch of flak for this comment, but as my wife has told me I don't know when to shut up sometimes. I was an NRA member for many years, but I kind of saw between the lines, all a member is to them is membership dues dollars and a contact to ask for more free money. Kind of the way I feel about politicians, for years the Dems and Repubs have been pointing fingers at the other saying it's their fault, basically batting the ball back forth like a game of badmitton. And we taxpayers are paying for them to "play". I feel the NRA has been doing the same thing to an extent. You know what they always say, follow the money. If there is a big pile of money, somebody is trying to figure out how to skim more than their fare share.

I basically recognized this too a few decades ago. I'm always wary of people continually asking for money yet show nothing as far as results are concerned.

• Moderators

Sometimes the NRA calls me to ask about what their "priorities" should be, then they ask for money (I am not a member).

For about two years now I've simply been politely telling the nice person on the phone I will donate to and support the NRA when they become a pro-gun organization again, until then I will be supporting the GOA.

They simply tell me that's not on the list of acceptable responses, apologize, and then essentially hang the phone up.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Sometimes the NRA calls me to ask about what their "priorities" should be, then they ask for money (I am not a member).

For about two years now I've simply been politely telling the nice person on the phone I will donate to and support the NRA when they become a pro-gun organization again, until then I will be supporting the GOA.

They simply tell me that's not on the list of acceptable responses, apologize, and then essentially hang the phone up.

And therein lies the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Received my American Rifleman & no LaPierre to be found....

Jason Ouimet, Interim Executive Director, NRA-ILA

3 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I noticed that as well. 

??

October edition?

Mine has article by Wayne in same place as usual, still listed as Executive Vice President.

- OS

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

??

October edition?

Mine has article by Wayne in same place as usual, still listed as Executive Vice President.

- OS

Page 12.  September and October.

Wayne the Pierre is still large and in charge.

Edited by Garufa
  • Admin Team

Just linking this here for those who might find it interesting.  

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6432520/The-NRA-Russia-How-a-Tax-Exempt-Organization.pdf

It may take an administration switch - but LaPierre would be smart to walk now.  Sooner or later they’re going to come for him and indict him for campaign finance violations.  

Agree with it or not - it’s coming. 

25 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6432520/The-NRA-Russia-How-a-Tax-Exempt-Organization.pdf

It may take an administration switch - but LaPierre would be smart to walk now.  Sooner or later they’re going to come for him and indict him for campaign finance violations.  

Is that seriously a document produced by members of the US Senate?

There’s no need to read all 77 pages.  The slick first page is all anyone is going to look at.  Just damn.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Garufa said:

Wayne the Pierre is still large and in charge.

Yup.  WLP may be (wisely) practicing the subtle art of low vis, but he's still there in every way that counts

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Note what's at the top of that document; "U.S. SENATE COMMITTEE ON FINANCE MINORITY STAFF REPORT".

Senator Ron Wyden is the ranking member (his own efforts are touted with 37 by name mentions)...while I'm a big supporter of his stances on the 4th Amendment, he's got a lot to be desired on his views of the 2nd Amendment.  He's nobody's fool, though.  This report is obviously something he wants to push the conversation.

I quick skimmed over the document, interesting is an understatement.  There is more than enough to justify hearings and burn through a few toner cartridges in subpoena printing...woe unto the NRA's accounting department for all the records and receipts they would have to produce. 

The word "Butina" appears 389 times in this document...in the category of "where there's smoke, there's fire" you don't have to think hard about why they're using a Russian woman who is currently in federal prison for conspiracy to act as an unregistered foreign agent of the Russian state to connect a lot of the dots here.

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Is that seriously a document produced by members of the US Senate?

There’s no need to read all 77 pages.  The slick first page is all anyone is going to look at.  Just damn.

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It is in fact rare to see such art on a Congressional document.  

It's becoming more and more commonplace for documents meant to be put into public debate (as this one almost certainly was meant to be) to have good graphic design.  Congressional staffers are much more digitally inclined than in ages past.