Wrong place, wrong time

Victim appears to be minding his own business, new thug enters, engages, and the lopsided fight is on.

https://offgridsurvival.com/mob-of-urban-thugs-target-innocents-minnesota-target-field/

For the EDC'er, you have but one option, since escape is no longer an option.

Looks like nose was in phone and wasn't paying attention to the crowd of lions, and a likely meal, being the only antelope at the watering hole.

Dude is lucky, those body stomps, if done correctly, will collapse a rib cage.

I've been thinking about this all morning. What would I do if I happened across this scene 30 seconds into the video?

I would feel obligation to intercede on the victim's behalf, i couldnt just watch the guy get killed.... But....

I'm outnumbered at least 10:1.

There is no apparent cover or position of advantage I could take.

My EDC doesn't have nearly enough rounds for all those people.  

If I intervene, are they gonna run, or pull their guns and shoot back?   I'm not in bad shape for a guy in his mid 40's, but I doubt I could outrun all of them should they turn their attention to me.  

I can't see any good options other than just calling it in.  Which is terrible, but what else is there?

1 minute ago, peejman said:

I've been thinking about this all morning. What would I do if I happened across this scene 30 seconds into the video?

I would feel obligation to intercede on the victim's behalf, i couldnt just watch the guy get killed.... But....

If I intervene, are they gonna run, or pull their guns and shoot back?   I'm not in bad shape for a guy in his mid 40's, but I doubt I could outrun all of them should they turn their attention to me.  

I can't see any good options other than just calling it in.  Which is terrible, but what else is there?

The fine line between being a hero...and being a dead hero....

• Like 1

I carry my Bersa Thunder as my EDC but I have began packing 2 or 3 backup magazines and practiced magazine swaps until I can do it almost faster then anyone could get to me in a situation like this. There is in most cases like this a leader calling the actions of the thugs. He would be my first target. When the Bersa sends last round out action remains open and all you do is drop the empty and put in another load, close and start shooting again. Most of thugs like these are not going to be expecting a guy with 2 or 3 back up mags. If I am going someplace I feel really uncomfortable in I carry the Model 85 which is double stack and have at least one back up mag for it. I have even worked hard on buying certain clothing I can wear that won't let me print when I carry either gun. I have never open carried and never plan to in the future.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

When you shoot the first one; the others leave. I guess it’s possible they would all stay and engage you; but my experience with criminals makes me doubt that. :)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, peejman said:

I feel your struggle. I am a protector by nature. That's why I joined the Marine Corps, worked in high risk security, and became a police officer. At 59 and with numerous injuries/illnesses I feel that I risk serious bodily harm from any attack; however, my instinct to protect would probably overcome clear thought under the stress of the moment.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Yeah, they aren't known for being the bravest.

Yep, thats why they travel in packs. Alone they are cowards. That is why I would hope if  had to get involved and shoot any of them I would be able to pick out the leader first but I think shooting a couple would send the rest packing. Hope so anyway.

• Like 2

I would hate to shoot someone but, they seem to be like a pack of crazed dogs.  If you ran toward them and yelled for them to stop, who knows if that would work? Shooting one or more before they killed that guy might be the only alternative.

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

When you shoot the first one; the others leave. I guess it’s possible they would all stay and engage you; but my experience with criminals makes me doubt that. :)

I suspect that, but I wouldn't be surprised  if 3 or 4 of them had guns. If they started shooting back, it could get ugly fast with an 8 rd mag and no cover.  

4 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I feel your struggle. I am a protector by nature. That's why I joined the Marine Corps, worked in high risk security, and became a police officer. At 59 and with numerous injuries/illnesses I feel that I risk serious bodily harm from any attack; however, my instinct to protect would probably overcome clear thought under the stress of the moment.

I'm married with 2 young kids whom I really want to see grow up. As someone else said, perhaps just running and shouting aggressively would cause the roaches to scatter.

I guess it would depend if these were just street hoodlums or hardened gang bangers. If the latter.... 

Edited by peejman