How many rounds to consider it reliable

So how many round must you run through a pistol before you consider it reliable to carry?

Are you talking rounds in general or the actual round you will carry?

What about a pistol that had failures when new, but now seems to run good. Again how many rounds until you think it is reliable?

My XD45 had one round jam when it was spanking new, about three mag loads in. No failures in several hundred rounds since, including 50 rounds of hollow points I carry, about 350 rounds total I am guessing. Also my RIA 1911 had numerous failures until recently. The last five or six times I have shot it it has been flawless, including running a box of hollow points through it. I am guessing I have near 2000 rounds through the 1911 with about the last 600 or so with no failures.

On the other hand my SP101 has never failed.

:)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

It's been a while since I've bought a new pistol, but probably a couple hundred practice rounds, a few dozen carry rounds. The next time I buy a new carry gun, I will probably break it in gradually over the course of a few weeks, taking it to the range multiple times before carrying.

I remember the Rabbi once told a story about a guy who came in and bought a pistol. They guy was a bounty hunter or a peace officer or something, and carried for work. He takes the gun out of the box right there, slaps in a magazine and chambers a round. Holsters it and goes on his way. I guess his answer to this question would be "Zero."

Guest Boomhower

From what we saw Sat. & your past several experiences with the RIA, It would pass my requirements.

My EMP has the same story, but it feels great now.

Guest bkelm18

I'd say a couple hundred rounds of FMJ and 50-100 rounds of JHP. I've honestly never had a failure that was related to the pistol. Usually a mag or ammo issue. Probably the most unsettling was when I was firing off some carry ammo in my P3AT. I was shooting off the rounds in the magazine that I had been carrying for the past few weeks. First round goes bang, second round goes CLICK. I guess thats why you practice the Tap-Rack-Bang drill.

Guest bkelm18

Also to add that when shooting my JHPs that I carry, I only shoot them through the magazines that I carry just to be sure the ammo, mags, and gun shoot smoothly in tandem.

I shot a box of WWB and a box of Hornady (my defense round) so that I felt comfortable with how the weapon acted when I fired it. I never had to run so many rounds through it in order for it to be reliable. It was "perfect." :shrug:

Guest bkelm18
I shot a box of WWB and a box of Hornady (my defense round) so that I felt comfortable with how the weapon acted when I fired it. I never had to run so many rounds through it in order for it to be reliable. It was "perfect." :shrug:

So you bought an XD eh? :shrug:

Guest JeepMonkey

I ran a box of 50 JHP's (same that I carry for defense) through my SP101 before I carried it. The biggest reason I did that was to get a feel for how it fired and recoiled with the JHP's. No malfunctions also was a good sign too...

You have to shoot enough of your carry ammo to prove to you your gun will perform reliably. There are a lot of factors that can't be tested via square range ideal condition shooting.

I shoot a bunch of FMJ, and very few JHP (because of cost), not really much of a need to because my Austrian and American guns like to eat anything, even el cheapo ammo. What kind of ammo do Croatian guns like? I hope I don't shoot myself with my Glock, because I think triggers make a wonderful finger rest. :D

We can't all be God's children Daniel. :D

I don't understand what you're talking about.

dumbass-1.jpg

I don't think I'll be running too much Hornady ammo through anything I purchase. Heck, I don't think I'll be running Blazer through anything. Any shooting I do will have to be with my 10/22 right now.

Guest bkelm18
I don't understand what you're talking about.

dumbass-1.jpg

I don't think I'll be running too much Hornady ammo through anything I purchase. Heck, I don't think I'll be running Blazer through anything. Any shooting I do will have to be with my 10/22 right now.

Dang dude, you lost some weight and grew a Molestache. Nice! :D

I landed on 500 rnds to break in a new gun. That being mixed rounds mostly plinking stuff and enough carry stuff to know it will feed. I settled on that amount, not just for the gun, but to run enough through all the mags to feel confident in them as well. That being said I would still carry a gun with less as I figure it is better than nothing.