Potato digger machine gun

owejia

Was watching a youtube video" Tales of the Gun", about the genius of John Moses Browning and how he converted a lever action rifle to shoot like a machine gun and how the potato digger machine gun was developed from his design. Some how this was a History channel Documentary and I had never watched it, also his history with Winchester and how they bought and used his designs. Interesting history, somehow that I missed out on. The man was a genius with gun designs.

That’s an excellent show and well worth the watch. The thing that impressed me most about Browning was that he was truly an Applications Engineer. He didn’t try to adapt what he already had; he started with a clean slate for the application he was working on. And as they point out at the end of this show, we can have the technology to make guns; but we still need the genius of people like JMB.

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

All hail Browning. Lol. 

I sometimes wonder if we have stifled things so much that people like Browning, Einstein, and Darwin would have never existed in today's environment. 

No, they exist.

Its just that they are as few and far between today as they were back then. I mean let’s face it, there is only one John Browning, one Einstein, one Jimmy Page, and one Jerry Miculek.

We all get nostalgic, but when we start saying things were “better back in the day” it’s usually emotional BS not based in any fact. :)

:leaving:

^  Yeah, When I tried to patent a free floating adjustable gas system for the AK designed rifle, I found out how bad the US patent office has choked off the small guy. A 20 year patent would have cost me cost $18,000 in "maintenance fees". And that's after all the up front costs of getting the application threw approval and out of Pending. I found out after about $1400 spent, they really didn't want to approve this kind of patent. After my failure..... they came out with a new category of filers. Its called "Micro" business filer. the cheapest way to file used to be under "small entity" that would have less than 50 employees. The New Micro entity got the fees cut in half for filing with having less than 3 employees. They have a "web" application process that one of the officers at the USPTO warned me not to use. He told me to ignore that and use the mail in paper method. Doing the entire process aside from the professional diagram prints, would have cost me over $20K to own a patent. Clearly, the "file your own patent avenue at the USPTO" is purely PR.

https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/fees-and-payment/uspto-fee-schedule#Patent Maintenance Fee

Since my attempt some 15 years ago, they have cut the fees considerably for Small entity when they added Micro.

Edited by xtriggerman
On 9/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, Ronald_55 said:

All hail Browning. Lol. 

I sometimes wonder if we have stifled things so much that people like Browning, Einstein, and Darwin would have never existed in today's environment. 

Sorry to say, but more than likely any person that may have been like these 3 were aborted over the years. From 1970 -2015 the CDC says about 45.7 million babies have been aborted. Very possible there were doctors and scientists that could have found the cure for cancer and unknown other diseases. Presidents, senators, congressmen, supreme court justices and the list goes on and on and on.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Sorry to say, but more than likely any person that may have been like these 3 were aborted over the years. From 1970 -2015 the CDC says about 45.7 million babies have been aborted. Very possible there were doctors and scientists that could have found the cure for cancer and unknown other diseases. Presidents, senators, congressmen, supreme court justices and the list goes on and on and on.

@Dirtshooter have you adopted or fostered many kids? Those unborn children need a place to grow and be nurtured, and I have confidence in your ability to mold them into the leaders of tomorrow!

4 hours ago, TomInMN said:

@Dirtshooter have you adopted or fostered many kids? Those unborn children need a place to grow and be nurtured, and I have confidence in your ability to mold them into the leaders of tomorrow!

@ TomInMN  The question is have you done any of the things you are asking other people if they have?? I know Dirtshooter and he raised some great children into very respectable adults and would be able to do it again if he had to. As far as those young/unborn children need a place to grow and be nurtured. If someone would do something about the Sorry Adoption System in this country many many of those children would have had all of that and more.There are 1000's of American couples that are turn down everyday for an adoption in this country that are more than qualified to be parents. When they get turned down here they apply for an adoption of a child in one of the foreign countries and get approved and bring home their future family from that country. I know this to be fact because I know two couples that applied to adopt here and were more than qualified and got turned down and now both couples have children from foreign countries and both have adopted not one but two or three because they didn't want to seperate siblings. Now they were allowed to adopt not one but more than one.

I have known both of these families for many years and they have children attending colleges with two practicing Medicine already and one of them is at the Mayo Clinic. To think, those kids could have been American babies......JMHO