Gun Bill being brought back!!

I just got this in an email from GOA and thought I would forward it. I'm sure there are some folks here that are members of GOA but not all so here it is. There are links in the email in which to contact the Senators and if need be I can post the email link here so folks can see the links and possibly use the links.

The Daily Caller has released a memo being circulated by Attorney General William Barr to coerce weak-kneed Republican Senators into passing gun control.

He’s bringing the Toomey-Manchin Universal Background Check and Registration Bill back from the dead after Republicans defeated it in 2013.

What’s different this time? Barr is lying to Senators about what this new bill would do.

Here’s the truth: under this bill, virtually every single gun owner would have a Form 4473 or an indistinguishable “Bill of Sale / Chain of Title” for your firearm.

And given that ATF is already illegitimately scanning 4473 forms into a national registry, this will only exacerbate an existing problem.

We need your help cutting through Barr’s lies and getting the truth out to Republican Senators before they take our country down a dangerous road where Americans like YOU are added to a government registry for exercising our constitutional rights.

William Barr claims that this bill would deal only with “commercial” transactions, but deceptively defines “commercial” to include virtually EVERY private sale.

And because your purchase will be on file with the ATF, when a future President Beto O’Rourke (or Joe Biden) decides it’s time to come “take your AR-15,” they’ll know who has them and where you are.

Gun Owners of America tried to warn the Senate and President Trump about nominating an anti-gunner like William Barr to be the Attorney General of the United States, given his previous support for a semi-auto ban.

Now we’re seeing the consequences.

We hope that this time -- with the help from voters like you -- we can successfully warn the Senate to strike down Barr’s gun control push and prevent America from taking a dark and dangerous turn.

In Liberty,

Erich Pratt
Senior Vice President
Gun Owners of America

If that email is legit he’s not real sharp.

McConnell has said he won’t put up a bill for a vote that Trump won’t sign.

And given that ATF is already illegitimately scanning 4473 forms into a national registry, this will only exacerbate an existing problem.

It wouldn’t be “illegitimately scanning”; it would be illegally scanning. 

We need facts; not some clown fear mongering to sell memberships.

However, it wouldn’t hurt to contact your legislators and let you know what you think. Because right now; background checks on private sales has a lot of support.

• Like 1

Sent my emails off; I had read about this letter in another thread, the gist is that it seems they (Barr and Co) may be shopping for a rep to sponsor a bill like this.  It didn't seem to me to be coercion, of any sort, but a push to try and bring this up.  What I don't get is why.  Why so close to 2020, do you want to alienate a big voting block, on your side most time.  I know there are some lib gun owners, but I have to think many are, given the alternatives, likely to vote republican.

As to the scanning, read it and start asking...WHY???: https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2016/03/28/the-atf-shows-off-its-gun-sale-record-mess-why-come-in-and-see/#33510784295e

3 hours ago, Omega said:

Sent my emails off; I had read about this letter in another thread, the gist is that it seems they (Barr and Co) may be shopping for a rep to sponsor a bill like this.  It didn't seem to me to be coercion, of any sort, but a push to try and bring this up.  What I don't get is why.  Why so close to 2020, do you want to alienate a big voting block, on your side most time.  I know there are some lib gun owners, but I have to think many are, given the alternatives, likely to vote republican.

As to the scanning, read it and start asking...WHY???: https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2016/03/28/the-atf-shows-off-its-gun-sale-record-mess-why-come-in-and-see/#33510784295e

Sounds like the ATF/Liberals/etc/etc won't really be able to compile a list of all gun owners for years, or decades, or longer based on the way the records are received in so many different ways and forms as there is no standardized (required)  method for FFL's to track or record their sales.  Then the record could go cold because the firearm in question was stolen, given away, etc., 

The article refers to microfiche machines being used for research, what a joke.  That in itself can take hours or days for someone to find what they are truly looking for, and then the micro fiche itself could be in poor shape so the image is not legible, and then those fiche readers are no longer made, so when the bulb burns out, gov't employees will have to hire a contractor to replace, which will have to bid on the contract, etc.,  

The ATF probably has a computer system similar to the IRS, one that is woefully outdated, has numerous software patches, and uses a card reader (Fortran programming) to do some simple function.   And if the ATF has a newer/more advanced computer system at it's disposal, what software could they use to compile all of the information from all of those handwritten documents.  The ATF would want/need custom software, and how long would that take to get written?

I doubt any of us will see any thing close to a "master list" of gun owners in our lifetimes, or our grandchildren.