Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

Those in the memphis area or who can get memphis AM radio, 600 am Mike Fleming is raising all sorts of hell about this. He just called the people at the newspaper, "Worthless, Worthless, Idiots" This is the beginning of the war. He is going to go after them. He is also taking calls.

Mike fleming is a permit holder, a proponant of permit holders and believes in our rights fully.

Oh, you can listen on line!

http://www.wrecradio.com/cc-common/hdradio/

Hit the "Listen Live" button at the top left of the page.

Might want to contact your legislators about..

HB0053 Handgun Permits - As introduced, makes information contained in handgun carry permit applications and renewals, information provided to agencies to investigate applicant, and records maintained relative to the permit application confidential and creates Class E felony of unauthorized publication of permit information or records.

Also:

SB 0172

HB 0221*

(Full Text) Confidentiality of handgun carry permit applications. Makes confidential information pertaining to handgun carry permits relative to public inspection or publication. Authorizes law enforcement agencies to access such information for investigating or prosecuting purposes. Specifies that publication of such information by anyone other than the permit holder is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by fine only. (S: Ketron; H: Bass)

Also:

SB 0172

HB 0221*

(Full Text) Confidentiality of handgun carry permit applications. Makes confidential information pertaining to handgun carry permits relative to public inspection or publication. Authorizes law enforcement agencies to access such information for investigating or prosecuting purposes. Specifies that publication of such information by anyone other than the permit holder is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by fine only. (S: Ketron; H: Bass)

Yep, that is another one. I have it in my list of bills here put didn't think to post it as well.

The fact that HB0221/SB0172 are already companion bills, they may move better than HB0053...at least as of now.

Not in there thankfully, no matter how I searched it. But lots of my friends were. Definitely share everyone's outrage and opposition to these details being available like this. Here's hoping politicians do something about this that we can agree with for a change...

Guest jcoyle6

I emailed them last night about their database. I was surprised (read shocked) to have gotten a response as quickly as I did. But here are the emails that were exchanged.

Your name * Justin Coyle

Email *

How often do you visit commercialappeal.com? * Only on rare occassions

Please select: * Report a problem

Dear Sirs and Madams

I like to enjoy my life as a private citizen. As such I do not like

having my personal information so readily available online. I was

forwarded your Handgun Carry Permit search link earlier today by a buddy

of mine and was extremely unhappy easy access to my personal

information. The majority of HCP holders like myself do so for the

protection of our loved ones and ourselves. The security I like to

provide for myself is completely negated by the posting of this

information on your web site. I would like to ask that I be removed from

your online database immediately. I carry, but I do not like to

broadcast that fact. Your database affects my personal security in a

negative fashion and I would like my name and information removed.

Thanks for your cooperation

Thanks for your note. I've forwarded it to the editor here who handles that information.

Mike Kerr

night news editor

The Commercial Appeal

495 Union Ave.

Memphis, TN 38103

901-529-2306 or 800-444-6397 ext. 2306

kerr@commercialappeal.com

Justin:

I appreciate your concern and please know I do not take it lightly.

Balancing the public's right to know with privacy concerns is always

very difficult. Because of the concerns you raised, and those raised by

others, we have removed the street address from the database.

Louis Graham

Asst. Managing Editor

I would have liked more to be done, but I am pleased with how this was handled

Justin:

I appreciate your concern and please know I do not take it lightly.

Balancing the public's right to know with privacy concerns is always

very difficult. Because of the concerns you raised, and those raised by

others, we have removed the street address from the database.

Louis Graham

Asst. Managing Editor

Their right to know ****ing what exactly?! That I'm exercising my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms?! If I wanted everyone to know I carried I'd staple my permit to my forehead and OC.

I've been raising hell all day to everyone. I printed off most of my co-worker's info and put it in their hands. Guess how happy they were? I've gotten a Myspace bulletin passed around to over 1000 pissed off people.

I've also written letters to CA and my reps. I am fighting mad about this. I never got one response from CA. Some of my friends have, but they were blow them off responses.

Here is what I want in return, I want the CA to post a criminal history database. I want every criminal in Memphis to be in the same type of situation. It's my right to know.

In the words of Wyatt Earp, You tell them I'm coming and Hell is coming with me!!!! :(

• Like 1
Guest TurboRotary

WTF!! Im a lurker but I have to express my outrage. I think we need to mail letters to all of home addresses. Lets make them feel the intrusion that we all feel.

Guest Rick O'Shay

spk.eme.jimmy.naifeh@capitol.tn.gov

Last Name NAIFEH

First Name JAMES

Middle Name ONEY

Suffix

DOB 6/16/1939

City COVINGTON

State TN

ZIP 38019

Issue Date 6/18/2008

Expiration Date 6/18/2012

Funny, his home address isn't on here, mine is.

Speaker Emeritus James O. "Jimmy" Naifeh

D-Covington

District 81 — Haywood and Part of Tipton County — Map

district address

P.O. Box 97

Covington, TN 38019

(901) 476-9593

nashville address

G19A War Memorial Building

Nashville, TN 37243-0181

Phone (615) 741-3774

Fax (615) 741-0944

Edited by Rick O'Shay

Well, I just spammed the bejesus out of the entire editorial staff of the paper with my letter, in addition to contacting my state house representative and requesting his support on HB0053. Unless we can bring the same leverage against these asses that was brought against the Tennesseean a while ago (if not moreso), then I would not count on much changing - for heaven's sake, they also have a database of houses worth $1,000,000 and more in their county. These folks obviously do not care two whits about a person's privacy.

WTF!! Im a lurker but I have to express my outrage. I think we need to mail letters to all of home addresses. Lets make them feel the intrusion that we all feel.

While that is very tempting I strongly recommend that no one does that. Keep it on a professional basis and bombard their workplace with letters. Not their homes!

The last thing you want is a "Journalist", who has the "power of the press" behind him or her feeling threatened by a bunch of crazy, gun-totin', sanctioned by the Constitution and laws of Tennessee, good upstanding, law abiding citizens invading HIS (or HER) privacy. They would react, as all people do when threatened, and they can make life a hell.

Guest JeepMonkey

Nafie has an HCP? I'm curious as to why he would have one? Surely it's not for his personal protection, as all criminals follow the laws he supported regarding firearms.

Nafie has an HCP? I'm curious as to why he would have one? Surely it's not for his personal protection, as all criminals follow the laws he supported regarding firearms.

Naifeh got one last year after he got hammered by complaints for killing all the pro-gun bills in committee. I guess he thought it would fool people into thinking he is not anti-gun. Of course, we all know better.

Guest TN_Mike

In the interest of being fair, and using WhitePages.addresses.com, here's the managing staff of the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

Name Job Home Address City,State,Zip

Joseph Pepe president and publisher 3195 Wetherby Cv S Germantown, TN 38139

Steve Tomb VP of Operations 1846 Wildcreek Cv Collierville, TN 38017

Chris Peck editor 21 Belleair Dr Memphis, TN 38104 (a well known anti-guner and mainly responsible for this thing)

Otis Sanford editor/opinion & editorials 3396 Park Ave Memphis, TN 38111

Eric Janssen VP of Digital Media 8996 Stratfield Cv Germantown, TN 38139

Scott Sines managing editor 2136 Wentworth Ln Germantown, TN 38139

Daniel Moehle VP/Chief Financial Officer 3172 Devonshire Way Germantown, TN 38139

Karl Wurzbach VP of Sales and Marketing 3098 Bentwood Run Dr Collierville, TN 38017

Robert Jiranek VP of New Business Development 175 Waring Rd Memphis, TN 38117

Bob Pinarski Advertising director 3961 Herons Landing Ln Arlington, TN 38002

Denise Holman Manager of Classified Advertising 720 Litty Ct 103 Memphis, TN 38103

Paul Jewell Marketing director 1439 Vance Ave Memphis, TN 38104

It is all public records, so this is not violating any law, or any expectation of privacy. Turn about is fair play I think.yup.gif

I feel that these folks getting several hundred letters from permit holders to their HOME addresses might just persuade them that this kind of thing is not a good idea. Let's see how they like it.

Guest David Waldrip
While that is very tempting I strongly recommend that no one does that. Keep it on a professional basis and bombard their workplace with letters. Not their homes!

The last thing you want is a "Journalist", who has the "power of the press" behind him or her feeling threatened by a bunch of crazy, gun-totin', sanctioned by the Constitution and laws of Tennessee, good upstanding, law abiding citizens invading HIS (or HER) privacy. They would react, as all people do when threatened, and they can make life a hell.

And that is why things are moving so slowly on day number 2. Heat is being applied, but we don't want too much heat too rapidly, or snap decisions are made by the other side.

The management of the Commercial Appeal is well aware that their info, as reflected in posts 66 and 95, was posted on the internet, via other sources.

More as stuff develops.

-David

Edited by David Waldrip

Has anyone determined when this outrage was placed online? Has it been there for awhile and we're just finding out about it or what?

My permit was issued in July of 2008 and I'm there. A ton of people are saying they are not. Werer you privs issued after that date?