Memphis, TN 38104

901-272-1458

901-529-2219

Home Property Tax Information

/tg Edited by Tim G.
Added Additional Contact Info
Guest Archimedes

I'm in it....

Surprised to see there are several people in there that apparently don't have last names, one person that has no first name, and someone named '99.' :death:

I also find it sad that in the main 'DATA' section of the site, the HCP database is in the section with all the criminal and accident reports.

~archi

Edited by Archimedes

Man, it would be just horrible if someone took the list of names and addresses of the paper staff, printed a few hundred of them out with a big heading of something like "People who don't own any guns" and then left them around their town for random people to pick up. I hope that never happens.

Guest slothful1
Surprised to see there are several people in there that apparently don't have last names, one person that has no first name, and someone named '99.' :screwy:

Well, it's hardly surprising that CONTROL agents need to carry guns.

I got a bounced email from one of them via their online form. Looks like their email address is Firstname.Lastname@CommercialAppeal.com

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------

Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: Message via the Web site

From: "Holman, Denise" [Denise.Holman@commercialappeal.com]

Date: Thu, February 12, 2009 10:45 am

To: TimG@

Hello,

I will be out of the office Wednesday and Thursday as we help our customers acheive enhanced results with Yahoo! Behaviorial Targeting. I will return your email after 5pm each day. For immediate assistance, advertising price quotes, or to place an ad, please email us at classad.commercialappeal.com or call 901-529-2700 and ask to speak with Rebecca Rice. For an appointment to find out how you can have the right advertising message, to the right potential customer at exactly the right time during the buying cycle, please call 529-5888, and ask for a Yahoo! Blitz appointment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

/tg

The state issued a message about this.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2009/02/state_issues_st.shtml

NASHVILLE ---Public complaints have recently been directed to the Department of Safety over the release of personal information from a searchable database of handgun permit holders on the Memphis Commercial Appeal website http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/. The searchable database can be found on the newspaper's Data Center webpage and offers users to "find out who in your community is licensed to carry a weapon".

The Department of Safety appreciates the privacy concerns of Tennessee's handgun permit holders; however, Tennessee Code 10-7-503 provides that all state records are open to inspection to any Tennessee citizen and the agency in charge of the records cannot deny access to them unless otherwise provided by state law. Currently, there is no state law which prohibits the disclosure of handgun permit records. Therefore, if a newspaper or other person makes a public records act request, the Department provides the following handgun permit information:

Full Name

DOB

Address

Zip Code

County

Issue Date

Expiration Date

While the Department of Safety Office of Public Affairs complies with state law by providing the handgun information from the handgun database upon request, we do not control whether media outlets such as the Commercial Appeal decide to publish the database on their public websites.

In 2007, the Nashville Tennessean published the handgun permit database on its website before shutting the information down within hours of making it public.

The Tennessee Department of Safety's mission is (www.tennessee.gov/safety) to ensure the safety and general welfare of the public. The department encompasses the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Office of Homeland Security and Driver License Services. General areas of responsibility include law enforcement, safety education, motorist services and terrorism prevention.

It looks like the state wants a law to be passed making these private records. It looks like people calling and writing are working in some regards.

Edited by dwrd
Guest savvysteve

This has really gotten me fired up. Someone with the NRA alerted me to this website and I wanted to post an email that I just sent to both Rep. Steve McManus and Sen. Jim Kyle who both represent my area. I called both of their offices yesterday but did not get calls back. I also called the governor's office but was directed to talk to my legislature.

This is my first post here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Something disturbing was recently brought to my attention from an email I received yesterday. The local newspaper in Memphis you probably know is the Commercial Appeal. They have apparently requested or purchased the entire handgun carry permit applicants database and now have that information available on their public website. Because this information is public record they were able to obtain this information and this includes names, addresses, birth, issue and expire dates perhaps a little bit more information. Until recently you were able to get every bit of this information directly from the website and luckily through pressure the CA has reduced the amount of data displayed to the user. That is a step in the right direction but still not good enough.

Clearly you have no control of what private organizations do. The Commercial Appeal never stopped to think that just because they could wether or not they should publish this information. No one ever stepped back to think how this information could be used for evil, illegal purposes. There are a lot of scenarios that can be played out now that criminals have this information. Crime in Memphis and my personal protection along with my firm belief in the 2nd Ammendment are my reasons for owning a handgun and having a handgun carry permit. This information can be used to target citizens in numerous ways. I think you understand where I am going with this.

I called your office yesterday and understand that you are a busy man so no call back is necessary. I appreciate your willingness to serve the public in your position and so I wanted to email and give you some things that I would have said to you over the phone. After saying all of this I wanted to say that I fully support legislation like HB0053 that include Handgun Carry Permint Application Confidentiality. I hope that you are able to work in a bipartisan fashion and find allies to support this bill and get it passed in a timely fashion. I feel strongly that securing this data is important and is a great safety risk for anyone who obeys the law and signs up for a TN handgun carry permit.

As a spinoff of my comments I would like to go ahead and mention that I fully support any piece of legislation that hardens our laws and bring stiffer penalties for crimes. Memphis Police Director Larry A. Godwin has been on the local radio advocationg that citizens take a stand and demand stronger penalties. He is contending not only with repeat offenders but also frustrating local politics that are hindering him for hiring more policemen to patrol our streets. You might know this but the number of handgun permit applications in Shelby County have sky-rocketed as a direct result of crime here. We are simply hard working, tax paying, citizens who want nothing more than to live in safety. Everyone across Memphis and Shelby County are tired of the crime and any steps you can take to help us I know would help.

Thanks for your time and consideration. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I signed with my name and address to let them know I am in their district.

This has really gotten me fired up. Someone with the NRA alerted me to this website and I wanted to post an email that I just sent to both Rep. Steve McManus and Sen. Jim Kyle who both represent my area. I called both of their offices yesterday but did not get calls back. I also called the governor's office but was directed to talk to my legislature.

This is my first post here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Something disturbing was recently brought to my attention from an email I received yesterday. The local newspaper in Memphis you probably know is the Commercial Appeal. They have apparently requested or purchased the entire handgun carry permit applicants database and now have that information available on their public website. Because this information is public record they were able to obtain this information and this includes names, addresses, birth, issue and expire dates perhaps a little bit more information. Until recently you were able to get every bit of this information directly from the website and luckily through pressure the CA has reduced the amount of data displayed to the user. That is a step in the right direction but still not good enough.

Clearly you have no control of what private organizations do. The Commercial Appeal never stopped to think that just because they could wether or not they should publish this information. No one ever stepped back to think how this information could be used for evil, illegal purposes. There are a lot of scenarios that can be played out now that criminals have this information. Crime in Memphis and my personal protection along with my firm belief in the 2nd Ammendment are my reasons for owning a handgun and having a handgun carry permit. This information can be used to target citizens in numerous ways. I think you understand where I am going with this.

I called your office yesterday and understand that you are a busy man so no call back is necessary. I appreciate your willingness to serve the public in your position and so I wanted to email and give you some things that I would have said to you over the phone. After saying all of this I wanted to say that I fully support legislation like HB0053 that include Handgun Carry Permint Application Confidentiality. I hope that you are able to work in a bipartisan fashion and find allies to support this bill and get it passed in a timely fashion. I feel strongly that securing this data is important and is a great safety risk for anyone who obeys the law and signs up for a TN handgun carry permit.

As a spinoff of my comments I would like to go ahead and mention that I fully support any piece of legislation that hardens our laws and bring stiffer penalties for crimes. Memphis Police Director Larry A. Godwin has been on the local radio advocationg that citizens take a stand and demand stronger penalties. He is contending not only with repeat offenders but also frustrating local politics that are hindering him for hiring more policemen to patrol our streets. You might know this but the number of handgun permit applications in Shelby County have sky-rocketed as a direct result of crime here. We are simply hard working, tax paying, citizens who want nothing more than to live in safety. Everyone across Memphis and Shelby County are tired of the crime and any steps you can take to help us I know would help.

Thanks for your time and consideration. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I signed with my name and address to let them know I am in their district.

Welcome to TGO:hat:. Good post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Givens of RangeMaster - Memphis

Commercial Appeal had posted a link to the personal information on every Handgun Carry Permit holder in Tennessee. This open information includes your full name, address, and full date of birth.

In their tiny minds, they cannot fathom why anyone other than a criminal or a militia-type whacko would want to carry a gun. By publishing your personal data, they also hope to intimidate you, by applying pressure on you by relatives, co-workers, employers, and others who might not otherwise know that you have a carry permit. Of course, the real threat from this inexcusable behavior is identity theft. By making your full name, address, and date of birth available on-line, that data can be accessed by anyone in the world, via the internet. That is sufficient personal information to allow all sorts of criminal activity that will impact you directly.

I suggest you contact the management of the C/A directly and voice your extreme opposition to this electronic terrorism. To make this more effective, I have appended below the home address of the various C/A staff. After all, the public has a right to know, eh? Let's see how they like their personal data in the public domain. Please send a strongly worded letter to each of these clowns at their home address.

-Tom Givens

List updated by me with home phone numbers:

Quote:

Joseph Pepe, President and publisher

3195 Wetherby Cv S

Germantown, TN 38139

901-737-8784

Steve Tomb, VP of Operations

1846 Wildcreek Cv

Collierville, TN 38017

Phone Unpublished

Chris Peck, Editor

21 Belleair Dr

Memphis, TN 38104

901-276-8314

Otis Sanford, Editor/Opinion & Editorials

3396 Park Ave

Memphis, TN 38111

Phone Unpublished

Eric Janssen, VP of Digital Media

8996 Stratfield Cv

Germantown, TN 38139

901-358-7007, Home

901-212-3597, Cell

Scott Sines, Managing Editor

2136 Wentworth Ln

Germantown, TN 38139

Phone Unpublished

Daniel Moehle, VP/Chief Financial Officer

3172 Devonshire Way

Germantown, TN 38139

901-757-5911

Karl Wurzbach, VP of Sales and Marketing

3098 Bentwood Run Dr

Collierville, TN 38017

Phone Unpublished

Robert Jiranek, VP of New Business Development

175 Waring Rd

Memphis, TN 38117

901-251-1810

Bob Pinarski, Advertising Director

3961 Herons Landing Ln

Arlington, TN 38002

901-867-5294

Denise Holman, Manager of Classified Advertising

720 Litty Ct 103

Memphis, TN 38103

Phone Unpublished

Paul Jewell, Marketing Director

1439 Vance Ave

Memphis, TN 38104

901-272-1458

Funny, I ran each of these people through the database and not one was in there. I cannot believe, for a second, as pompous and "royal" as these people are that not one of them has a permit. So I am pretty confident about the "tweaked" part now. Besides Fisherville (which is equal) the chart does not match up with the city if you type it in.

gunchart.jpg

City - Chart - Manual

Fisherville - 4 - 4

Eads - 612 - 607

Lakeland - 509 - 501

Arlington - 1304 - 1273

Millington - 1577 - 1551

Germantown - 1898 - 1864

Collerville - 2103 - 2071

Bartlett - 2475 - 2436

Ccordova - 2709 - 2652

Memphis - 16166 - 15949

Looks like they removed their friends and family too.

Please post this on any, not necessarily firearms related but gun friendly, forums that get a lot of traffic.

/tg

P.S. For those that do not know, Memphis Commercial Appeal is the local newspaper. And it is about as far left as you can get without falling over the edge.... oh wait! ...nevermind.

Pass along

Guest savvysteve

I got a reply from Rep. McManus already and thought I would post it below.

-----------------------------------------

"With regard to this issue, he would like me to convey to you that we appreciate your call and that he is aware of how serious this breach of privacy is. He is working on a bill that will be introduced which will address this very type of privacy violation, and is doing everything possible to protect the values and the rights of our citizens. Look for a bill to be introduced with regard to this very issue.

Also, you referenced crime in the community. You are correct, this has been an on-going issue and one that this office takes very seriously. In fact, due to concern of crime in Shelby County, you can be assured Rep. McManus has worked hard on this issue. He is in favor of an amendment which allows out of county persons to be hired as police officers. In addition, he co-sponsored legislation increasing punishment for violent crime and requiring offenders to serve 100% of their sentence in jail. He also co-sponsored legislation providing additional immunity from prosecution and civil liability to those using justifiable force to protect themselves and their families from harm. In an effort to make our roads safer, he advocated increasing penalties for DUI and DWI offenses and reducing the alcohol level that constitutes a DUI. Last year, he secured a $20,000 grant from the state awarded to the Shelby County Sheriff's Office for a program warning students and their parents about the dangers of gangs. With more and more violence in our schools, especially gang-related violence, he feels that it is vital that we get the message to students and their parents.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact our office, Mr. *****. We appreciate and value your input."

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=9837368

Gun owners outraged about Commercial Appeal list

Updated: Feb 12, 2009 05:26 PM CST

9837368_BG1.jpg

By Ben Watson - bio | email

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Some Mid-South gun owners our outraged over a website that lists handgun carry permits, claiming the site gives away too much personal information.

Tom Givens, who runs the Range Master pistol range, said the database, published by the Commercial Appeal, has many of his clients upset.

"First, its an invasion of privacy," Givens said.

Using the database, a visitor to the website can look up the name of anyone who has a permit to carry a hand gun in the state of Tennessee. Information listed includes the owner's year of birth, along with his or her city, state, and zip code of residence.

Givens said his phone has been ringing off the hook from clients upset about their personal information being so accessible.

"By publishing this database your employers, your co-workers, church members, even relatives that may not know you have a permit, now know that you've got one," he said.

The Commercial Appeal purchased the permit information from the Tennessee's Department of Safety. Thursday, a department spokesman said his office has been flooded with angry calls and e-mails from permit owners.

In response to that criticism, the Department of Safety issued a statement that said the information is a matter of "public record" and Commercial Appeal is not breaking any laws by releasing the information.

However, the department spokesman added, he feels it's questionable for the Commercial Appeal to make the gun permit information available in the way the newspaper has.

A spokesperson for the Commercial Appeal has not yet commented for this story.

Guest Archimedes

Ok, I may have had one beer too many at this point, so forgive me if this seems....insane.

I sorta get a "Terminator" vibe from stuff like this...particularly since a recent conversation with my dear mother.

I mean, you have all this 'Right to info' BS and Internet databases of nearly everything now...

We've all heard of DVRs and widescreens....xbox360(not to mention webTV, which seems to have sorta died).

It's reasonable to assume that the near future will combine all these these technologies into one convenient package so that all these things are one appliance that one day may be as common as a home phone (or cell phone for that matter).Also, some of you may be aware of some microchip technologies and the capabilities/intent of them... Soon we could all be paying for our groceries with a swipe of our wrist. Perhaps a fingerprint? Imagine the new crimes things like this could produce. I see it now... "Go Green without Green"

As for the conversation I had with my mother, it concerned the Bible and the 'Mark of the Beast' and how you wouldn't be able to 'trade without a number.' SS#/bank account associated with your fingerprint or embedded in a microchip...I think we all know this is coming. They'll call it an attempt to cease common cash robberies and eliminate the cost of engineering and producing new security schemes for currency.

Every journey has a first step. Not all of them good ones.

~archi

p.s. -- I'm an avid user of ellipses(...) and postscripts (p.s.)

Edited by Archimedes
Ok, I may have had one beer too many at this point, so forgive me if this seems....insane.

I sorta get a "Terminator" vibe from stuff like this...particularly since a recent conversation with my dear mother.

I mean, you have all this 'Right to info' BS and Internet databases of nearly everything now...

We've all heard of DVRs and widescreens....xbox360(not to mention webTV, which seems to have sorta died).

It's reasonable to assume that the near future will combine all these these technologies into one convenient package so that all these things are one appliance that one day may be as common as a home phone (or cell phone for that matter).Also, some of you may be aware of some microchip technologies and the capabilities/intent of them... Soon we could all be paying for our groceries with a swipe of our wrist. Perhaps a fingerprint? Imagine the new crimes things like this could produce. I see it now... "Go Green without Green"

As for the conversation I had with my mother, it concerned the Bible and the 'Mark of the Beast' and how you wouldn't be able to 'trade without a number.' SS#/bank account associated with your fingerprint or embedded in a microchip...I think we all know this is coming. They'll call it an attempt to cease common cash robberies and eliminate the cost of engineering and producing new security schemes for currency.

Every journey has a first step. Not all of them good ones.

~archi

p.s. -- I'm an avid user of ellipses(...) and postscripts (p.s.)

It's a disease. (I suffer from it too;))

FYI:

Memphis' Rock 103 has talked about this on the morning show for the last 2 days.... Rick Chedder is really giving them the business on there, as well as many other local organizations. Rick and Bad dog have actually talked to the editors on the phone too. Lawyers are involved now...

/tg

Why blame the newspaper? The State of Tennessee allows it to be in the public domain. While I loathe the mainstream media in general and newspapers in particular I blame the state.

Just my:2cents:

Yes and no. The information is not easy to get, it has to be requested, there is not a searchable database at the state, from what I understand, (I have not investigated, I looked, but didn't go real deep into it). The commercial appeal, requested from the state the info, which they have to provide, then put it into a searchable database and have been promoting it. It is on the front page of the "Local News" Section B in the paper today. The Commercial Appeal just made it very very easy to get the information and disregarded the potential privacy and safety issues that promoting this list has caused.

Legislation has been introduced to make the list private, but at this point, the state is legally required to provide it until a law passes that prohibits it.

So the blame is really twofold. The state/laws not protecting the privacy of it's citizens, and the paper for exploting the information for their own personal gain, promotion of their liberal agenda even though they are suppose to have an unbiased reporting of facts, and their lack of concern for the potential harm they may have brought to people by making the list easily accessible.

Guest HexHead

I heard back from my State Representative. He said he's going to ask to be added as a sponsor of HB 221 to make these records confidential and that he strongly supports it.