Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

Guest ProguninTN
Should post CA's personnel personal data on all of the Commercial Appeal's competitors. Heck post it on every paper across the state with a brief explanation why.

I have seen posts of their staff's personal information over at The High Road.us.

Guest bennyG19

I emailed this to Chris Peck today, we'll see what happens:

Please remove my name and information from your Handgun Permit Database. You removed Sue Calipari, Anfernee Hardaway and others so I know names can be removed from the list. I'm asking that you also remove my name and information from the database.

Calipari and Hardaway are still in the database. They haven't been removed.

Yeah, they just removed them from the Commercial Appeal, not from the database.

So the CA thinks it is ok for folks to have this data, but not ok for it to appear in the pages of the CA.

Double standard, hypocritical, spineless, and just plain wrong, IMHO.

But the real solution is legislation.

My job is internet related and I do my best to stay out of all lists... Usually it's email related, so I can use temporary addresses if I need to. Sucks that opting for legal CCW years ago to protect my family and myself put me on a list without my approval. No email address needed for this one. So I can't even thwarte it!

Edited by ajclod

I made it into the list unfortunately--I wasn't in there a few days ago on the CA website, but I am now.

It does not make any difference now if every permit holder in the state open carries or not, because now everyone and their brother will know anyway...

It does not make any difference now if every permit holder in the state open carries or not, because now everyone and their brother will know anyway...

:D

I don’t carry concealed because I don’t want people to know I have an HCP; I carry concealed because I don’t want thugs in the area to know I’m armed.

This “Chris Peck” appears to be a nut case. He has to be loving all this publicity he is getting. He knows that posting the list is unethical; and he doesn’t care. The only way it will be stopped is to cause them financial damage.

I never heard of this rag until this story was posted here, but I’m not from the Memphis area. Is this a big paper in Memphis?

Edited by DaveTN

Friends...Write your Senator and rep. NOW....I wrote Cory Todd an email a few days ago and received a phone call at home from him within 20 min!....It's a hot topic and there is legislation pending to make the info confidential but we need to speak up about it..He fully supports it....however, I have not heard from the Senator....which is not a good sign........the idiots at the Commercial Appeal think they have some 'right' to post this information and your problems finding your own name shows how ineffective of a 'tool' it is as they proclaim...I did find mine...just make sure you are searching your name exactly they way your carry permit was issued....

Unite!

:D

I don’t carry concealed because I don’t want people to know I have an HCP; I carry concealed because I don’t want thugs in the area to know I’m armed.

Really is irrelevant at this point. Whether you carry concealed now or not is moot, because everyone and their brother now knows who does and does not have one...making the homes of these individuals targets of opportunity for criminals.

This “Chris Peck†appears to be a nut case. He has to be loving all this publicity he is getting. He knows that posting the list is unethical; and he doesn’t care. The only way it will be stopped is to cause them financial damage.

For them this falls under the First Amendment. The records are public info--meaning anyone can get the entire database and post it wherever he or she chooses.

I never heard of this rag until this story was posted here, but I’m not from the Memphis area. Is this a big paper in Memphis?

I have heard of the Commercial Appeal, even looked at their website a time or two in the past while reading news stories....

if you are familiar with Google earth--download the program and take a look at the CA--it will give you satellite images of the building, and surrounding terrain. You could also use this to locate individuals on the database unfortunately--it really does make us all a target--more so than it would to carry openly.

Benjamin - FYI, we haven't removed anybody from the public database of permits-to-carry....

If that was from Chris' response to the email you sent him, Chris Peck is a baldfaced liar.

As of 2022 on 15FEB09, their database claimed 184,909 entries, with the database claiming that it was accurate as of 08JUL08.

Unfortunately for them, the Tennessee Department of Safety periodically releases statistics concerning how many people have handgun carry permits. As of 30JUN08, the TNDOS indicates there were 196,472 active permits.

The Commercial Appeal database is short 11,663 entries - WHY?

EDIT: I see the database has been updated. Please stand by for more-accurate statistics.

EDIT2: As of 1902 on 17FEB09, the Commercial Appeal database claims 219,245 entries, with the database claiming it includes all permits issued up to 31JAN09.

Records from the TNDOS as of 31DEC08 indicate 218,004 entries in the database. I can see 1,241 people getting permits in a month.... maybe.

However, I stand by my previous assertion that the previous incarnation of this privacy invasion database was either erroneous enough not to be valid, or "sanitized" in some fashion.

Oh, and, yes, my name is now listed in the database. Joy.

Edited by Linoge
Guest JeepMonkey
Well, I dont think they found the body Yet.:P
Technically, I don't count as a part of that list, so even if they did, my original assertion would be correct. :P

Back on topic...any new replies to any letters written to the CA?

Guest MediaBuster

Check it out..

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/2009/02/commercial_appeal_sticks_to_it.php

They called us "Gun Nuts" in their article rallying support for Commercial Appeal.

Here's my suggestion. ANYWHERE YOU SEE THE FREE NASHVILLE SCENE NEWSPAPER, TAKE AS MANY AS YOU WANT.

There's no limit, no obligation to read them, & if they all happen to end up in the trash at every location they leave them, their extremist opinions & insults will get VERY EXPENSIVE for them.. I'll start today!:)

Besides, you're doing the public a service. With less Nashville Scene circulation, there will be less spreading of STDs around Tennessee..

Check it out..

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/2009/02/commercial_appeal_sticks_to_it.php

They called us "Gun Nuts" in their article rallying support for Commercial Appeal.

Here's my suggestion. ANYWHERE YOU SEE THE FREE NASHVILLE SCENE NEWSPAPER, TAKE AS MANY AS YOU WANT.

There's no limit, no obligation to read them, & if they all happen to end up in the trash at every location they leave them, their extremist opinions & insults will get VERY EXPENSIVE for them.. I'll start today!:)

Besides, you're doing the public a service. With less Nashville Scene circulation, there will be less spreading of STDs around Tennessee..

What tool wrote that blog? Idiot.

Guest MediaBuster

Here's my suggestion. ANYWHERE YOU SEE THE FREE Commercial Appeal NEWSPAPER, TAKE AS MANY AS YOU WANT.

There's no limit, no obligation to read them, & if they all happen to end up in the trash at every location they leave them, their extremist opinions & insults will get VERY EXPENSIVE for them.. If their Advertiser's ads never get seen, they lose money! Because the advertisers poll people to see if the ads they are buying are effective. So I think its time to have a "Commercial Appeal Tea Party" of sorts.. Until they understand that what is permissible, is not always beneficial! Lets get started today!:)

Minimize their circulation by reading one line an hour from their crappy Newspaper, (I don't want you to have to pour bleach in your eyes) & then throw it away, & go back for another. Heck, take one for a conservative friend who will throw it away also! Hurry, while supplies last, & bankruptcy is only a probability for CA!